Author Topic: To Clear up some things.  (Read 9848 times)

Art2

• View Profile
To Clear up some things.
« on: 2009-11-25 20:14:03 »
Is this Q-Gears project a PSX VII emulator or is it just a program that uses the files from the VII disk to run it?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: To Clear up some things.
« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-25 21:11:32 »
Originally it was going to be a drop-in replacement for the FF7 executable files.

It's mutated into something else.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-25 22:41:50 »
What exactly has it mutated into?

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-26 00:01:40 »
It's now supposed to be a general 2.5d RPG engine, which I think can't actually directly use the original game data.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-11-26 04:06:41 »
It's now supposed to be a general 2.5d RPG engine, which I think can't actually directly use the original game data.

But has imported data from many games!

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2009-11-26 04:49:11 »
Yup, you must convert the game assets to q-gears format....

But I think the end result is the same. You can play FF7 with that engine when it's done.

tidyboyd

« Reply #6 on: 2009-12-03 11:49:59 »
So any idea when this q project will be up and running for ff7? i suppose reading the comments above it'll be usable with ff8 aswell?

oh and my 1st post! :-D yay! great site guys keep it up!

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-12-03 12:23:55 »
So any idea when this q project will be up and running for ff7? i suppose reading the comments above it'll be usable with ff8 aswell?

oh and my 1st post! :-D yay! great site guys keep it up!

I will not work on FFVIII, only FFVII, Xenogears and FFIX. If anyone have courage to face up FFVIII - welcome.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-12-03 23:27:47 »
I will not work on FFVIII, only FFVII, Xenogears and FFIX. If anyone have courage to face up FFVIII - welcome.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the difference between them?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-12-04 00:17:45 »

FF8 is a bit trickier than the others. There isn't as much information also. I remember poking around with it some. I suppose I should get back to playing with some of this. It will be after I have ported PCSX 1.9df to the beagle board however. That should take a week or two as I am a bit backed up. I've started actually taking vacation .. so maybe I'll get around too it sooner?  I still haven't started any of my AT91SAM7S projects (I have all the dev stuff too) heh. Lots of projects just not enough time I guess. :D

Bottom line though FF8 data requires a bit more work (on the PSX variant) Qhimm has done a lot of deciphering along with numerous others (back in the days). Not as much people play with Ff8 I guess. I have some save data yet to finish with (the bit data for each thing you do in the game is but one of many).

Cyb

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2009-12-04 11:47:33 »
The fact that it should work with IX makes me happy. I didn't know. :D

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-12-04 11:52:50 »
ff9 on PC? i want haha :-D

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-12-04 18:49:06 »

FF8 is a bit trickier than the others. There isn't as much information also. I remember poking around with it some. I suppose I should get back to playing with some of this. It will be after I have ported PCSX 1.9df to the beagle board however. That should take a week or two as I am a bit backed up. I've started actually taking vacation .. so maybe I'll get around too it sooner?  I still haven't started any of my AT91SAM7S projects (I have all the dev stuff too) heh. Lots of projects just not enough time I guess. :D

Bottom line though FF8 data requires a bit more work (on the PSX variant) Qhimm has done a lot of deciphering along with numerous others (back in the days). Not as much people play with Ff8 I guess. I have some save data yet to finish with (the bit data for each thing you do in the game is but one of many).

Cyb

FFVIII don't harder than others (in fact FFIX is hardest), but I don't like it that much and don't want to spent time to understand it formats. Now I almost finish reversing of FFIX field model format and prepare to work on exporter. Next will be models in Xeno.

Is there any fans that want to work on FFVIII? I can explain how, but it takes a lot of time so be prepared.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-12-06 18:19:42 »
Really? Hmmm it was a lot harder for me to find the models et al than 7 and 9 .. at least 9 had a nifty index system that was .. obvious :D

Oh well such is life.

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-12-07 12:32:18 »
Really? Hmmm it was a lot harder for me to find the models et al than 7 and 9 .. at least 9 had a nifty index system that was .. obvious :D

Oh well such is life.

Cyb

It's maybe easier to find without reversing, but when you reverse all the code - FFIX is much harder. Scripting system in FFIX is a bit different and resource system is very big and annoying. FFVII, Xenogears - much easier.

ps: I start with reversing of graphical pipeline. Trace and reverse all data that formed into render packets.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-12-07 21:15:33 »

Oh well such is life.

Cyb

It's maybe easier to find without reversing, but when you reverse all the code - FFIX is much harder. Scripting system in FFIX is a bit different and resource system is very big and annoying. FFVII, Xenogears - much easier.

ps: I start with reversing of graphical pipeline. Trace and reverse all data that formed into render packets.
That's a good route for my current PSX project actually. It's a bit too long to explain right now.  In any case I had never thought of that approach. I have always beat on the data itself not investigated what was being done with it. (LOL)

Cyb