Author Topic: A theory on the parade music problem  (Read 7729 times)

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
A theory on the parade music problem
« on: 2010-04-28 05:37:02 »
OK, this has been driving me crazy since I discovered this project. The music cuts out during the Highwind FMV in Junon when using FF7music. However, with Aali's new driver the file, wind.wav, is receiving an error. Now here's where it becomes relevant; the music cuts out at the exact same time the error message appears. So I figure we could just stop wind.wav from playing at that part since it seems responsible.

I've been trying to modify flevel in Meteor, however as soon as the FMV starts the game crashes... So I'm just putting this idea out there in case anyone with more programming experience wants to take a crack at it.

The FMV is triggered in Junair2. However Junair2 doesn't like to load in meteor; 9 times out of 10 it crashes.

InuRa

• View Profile
Re: A theory on the parade music problem
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-28 14:16:21 »
OK, this has been driving me crazy since I discovered this project. The music cuts out during the Highwind FMV in Junon when using FF7music. However, with Aali's new driver the file, wind.wav, is receiving an error. Now here's where it becomes relevant; the music cuts out at the exact same time the error message appears. So I figure we could just stop wind.wav from playing at that part since it seems responsible.

I've been trying to modify flevel in Meteor, however as soon as the FMV starts the game crashes... So I'm just putting this idea out there in case anyone with more programming experience wants to take a crack at it.

The FMV is triggered in Junair2. However Junair2 doesn't like to load in meteor; 9 times out of 10 it crashes.

...so you wanna "screw" the original game to make the FF7music mod work...?
Might be more simple just to not use the modded track for that area.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-28 17:11:12 »
What modded track?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-28 18:50:44 »

...so you wanna "screw" the original game to make the FF7music mod work...?
Might be more simple just to not use the modded track for that area.

I think InuRa misunderstood (or if i am misunderstanding please feel free to correct me), I think therage800 is on about the problem with the latest version of Aalis custom driver 0.7.7 which crashes the game at wind.wav (please note this has nothing to do with ff7music), but this is only on the latest version and can easily be gotten around by just using 0.7.3 or by waiting for the next version where hopfully it will be fixed.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-29 00:22:28 »
No, I'm aware of the wind.wav problem and that Aali is going to fix it in the next release. InuRa understood correctly (I think).

update:
I found out the reason it was crashing was because I hadn't re-compressed the file. It no longer crashes but I can't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

Also, I tried using the original midi again. It stops at the same point but then starts up once you go inside so perhaps it's not wind.wav after all.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-29 07:31:09 by therage800 »

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-30 10:26:48 »
It's a dynamic volume thing.  FF7 by design lowers the music volume there for whatever reason and keeps it low, perhaps to reflect the idea that both the noise of the Highwind and the ambient wind out there are drowning out the band's music, and the music only starts to come back into earshot when you go down that elevator.

FF7music's ability to do dynamic volume manipulation is.....rather buggy, to put it nicely.  It doesn't always catch the triggers properly, and so sometimes just abruptly cuts it off, instead of gradually lowering the volume.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-30 15:30:15 »
Nevermind the fact that FF7Music doesn't care about what FF7 is doing with the volume. FF7Music has two "triggers", one to start playing a song, one to stop it. It doesn't pick up on anything else.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-01 04:08:16 »
Besides, the volume only lowers in the PSX version. If you go back to midi's in the PC version the music stops and then comes back when you go inside.

In FF7music if you uncheck the box that says "Obey stops", the music continues to play. Does anyone know the command for a "Stop" in the script in flevel? Couldn't we just delete that line using meteor?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-02 02:40:04 »
Nevermind the fact that FF7Music doesn't care about what FF7 is doing with the volume. FF7Music has two "triggers", one to start playing a song, one to stop it. It doesn't pick up on anything else.

Really?  I thought that was what "Emulate Ramps" was for, to emulate the times when FF7 ramps the volume up or down.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-02 04:06:23 »

Really?  I thought that was what "Emulate Ramps" was for, to emulate the times when FF7 ramps the volume up or down.
That's exactly what it's for. It also doesn't work right.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-02 06:48:23 »
Exactly, and that is why I said this:

FF7music's ability to do dynamic volume manipulation is.....rather buggy, to put it nicely.

Well, that was a fun logical circle. :-P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-02 17:18:10 »
Exactly, and that is why I said this:

FF7music's ability to do dynamic volume manipulation is.....rather buggy, to put it nicely.

Well, that was a fun logical circle. :-P
I have forum ADD. The only post that counts when I respond is the one immediately before mine.