Author Topic: Q-Gears Field Module - Midgar Conversion Project [Replaced by Finishing Touch]  (Read 62923 times)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Re: Q-Gears Field Module - Midgar Conversion Project
« Reply #25 on: 2014-11-20 04:17:36 »
Dialogue support would be pretty amazing, for some reason I thought most of that was already implemented in field

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-11-20 10:57:43 »
Dialogue support would be pretty amazing, for some reason I thought most of that was already implemented in field

It was implemented in 0.17 but after second complete rewritting of engine it is gone. I add it to current version as soon as i can.

By the way i believe current version should be 0.22. Last one I release was 0.21 and i see no release since then

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-11-20 19:41:36 »
Do you just want the q-gears.exe the compiler gives out or do you want the dll files too?  I don't know whats wrong but when I copy the q-gears I compiled to another computer it refuses to run with dll missing errors.  Works fine on my computer and the 0.21 you released works on all computers, what am I missing?

Progress on nmkin_1, its a very hard scene with complex code, 500+ lines are required to make it work.  Ive converted all the code to lua and now renaming stuff and trying to reverse what the variables do because alot of them are used in this scene

Cloud and Jessie during the bombing mission

Apparently Cloud got into some Shinra loot!

Heres a download of the entire build folder (350MB) http://www.mediafire.com/download/459z8x8zr4rkz0g/q-gears-build.zip
« Last Edit: 2014-11-21 06:56:05 by Tom »

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-11-21 12:13:08 »
Are you making these changes from the github repo? If not then you might find you need to do a lot of reworking due to changes in the version you have.

Also the best course of action is to update the loaders so that the fields/scripts can be automagically loaded by qgears rather than needing manual edits/conversions.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-11-21 15:08:44 »
We don't want/need q-gears to load the proprietary/hard to use final fantasy field format.  We want them converted to lua which is a much better system overall.  Q-Gears will be used with non final fantasy data too

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-11-21 17:09:10 »
Yes but the conversion of FF data to QGears should not mean manually porting the scripts over by hand. Also the FF format loader should just convert to QGears LUA and load that internally.

The QGears format is only really useful for modding or optimizing the load times (since the game is so old this doesn't really matter at all at the moment, I can load the entire world map and get 1000fps).

P.S Are you in the irc channel? The constant down time on this forum is EXTREMELY annoying :@ :(

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-11-21 18:33:34 »
How difficult would it be to get fields+battle running at 60fps, or 1000, whichever looks better :evil:

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-11-21 21:35:47 »
Oh, I was gettting an error on compile but wasn't noticing because the compiler window automatically closed once it was finished.  When I ran it from cmd.exe heres what I got:
Code: [Select]
qgears source is in: C:\QGEARS\q-gears-code\code
building with mingw
C:\QGEARS\q-gears-code\code\QGearsMain\src\core\Entity.cpp:1:20: fatal error: En
tity.h: No such file or directory
 #include "Entity.h"
                    ^
compilation terminated.
mingw32-make[2]: *** [QGearsMain/CMakeFiles/QGearsMain.dir/src/core/Entity.cpp.o
bj] Error 1
mingw32-make[1]: *** [QGearsMain/CMakeFiles/QGearsMain.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2
C:\QGEARS\q-gears-code\code\QGearsMain\src\core\Entity.cpp:1:20: fatal error: En
 #include "Entity.h"
                    ^
compilation terminated.
mingw32-make[2]: *** [QGearsMain/CMakeFiles/QGearsMain.dir/src/core/Entity.cpp.o
bj] Error 1

Entity.h actually does exist in C:\QGEARS\q-gears-code\code\QGearsMain\include\core

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-11-21 22:11:53 »
Oh, I was gettting an error on compile but wasn't noticing because the compiler window automatically closed once it was finished.  When I ran it from cmd.exe heres what I got:
qgears source is in: C:\QGEARS\q-gears-code\code
building with mingw
 #include "Entity.h"
                    ^
compilation terminated.
bj] Error 1
 #include "Entity.h"
                    ^
compilation terminated.
bj] Error 1

Entity.h actually does exist in C:\QGEARS\q-gears-code\code\QGearsMain\include\core

What generator did cmake use?

How difficult would it be to get fields+battle running at 60fps, or 1000, whichever looks better :evil:

Battle is a long way from working at all, field runs at 300fps on my computer. Field is far from optimized for speed though, but then again at 300fps it doesn't really need optimizing.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-11-22 07:52:10 »
EDIT: I got it all working with Ubuntu and the new build instructions at the qgears github page, go there if you are wondering how to build

Also KnifeTheSky77
It already runs as 1000 fps for me
« Last Edit: 2014-11-27 20:18:12 by Tom »

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-11-28 10:13:11 »
Add basic dialog support for simple text dialogs (no styling or questions). Few more days to support all FFVII dialog features. It will work like in v0.17 with minimal changes. You can look syntaxis there. Stay tuned =)

Next I add ingame bindings (normal bindings works already for long time).

Do you need something ekse like fade to make all bombing mission work?
« Last Edit: 2014-11-28 10:20:26 by Akari »

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-11-28 17:01:06 »
That's awesome akari, have you been keeping up with the changes on github? I think battles remain pretty uncharted territory

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-11-29 12:45:41 »
Add basic dialog support for simple text dialogs (no styling or questions). Few more days to support all FFVII dialog features. It will work like in v0.17 with minimal changes. You can look syntaxis there. Stay tuned =)

Next I add ingame bindings (normal bindings works already for long time).

Do you need something ekse like fade to make all bombing mission work?

Awesome make a fork from https://github.com/q-gears/q-gears and create a pull request, I'll merge your changes in :).

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-11-29 22:19:27 »
The last part of the bombing mission is the countdown clock with the purple digits :D
I finished nmkin_2 and now working on nmkin_3 and ladders.  I have the original field command documentation but its a bit outdated, what would the equivalent of climb_to_position(const float x, const float y, const float z, const int triangle_id, const ClimbMovement climb_movement) be in 0.22 qgears.  I don't see that command in the ScriptManagerBinds file.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-11-30 06:04:52 »
The last part of the bombing mission is the countdown clock with the purple digits :D
I finished nmkin_2 and now working on nmkin_3 and ladders.  I have the original field command documentation but its a bit outdated, what would the equivalent of climb_to_position(const float x, const float y, const float z, const int triangle_id, const ClimbMovement climb_movement) be in 0.22 qgears.  I don't see that command in the ScriptManagerBinds file.

-- move to up platform 1
                player:set_rotation( 180 )
                player:linear_to_position( -2, 3.5, 3, Entity.DOWN_TO_UP, "Climb" )
                player:linear_sync()

You can  look at the text_2.lua. This is testing ground for all ffvii movements.

Reverse FFVII dialogs render a bit and found few errors I didn't fix earlier about opening and closing dialog windows.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-01 06:45:19 by Akari »

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-12-01 17:52:45 »
Don't forget to send pull request so I can put it into main github repo :)

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-12-09 14:44:25 »
2014-12-09
----------
+ [Input] Add "bind_game_event" input command to create ingame command bindings. [Akari]
* [Entity] Entity now uses ingame bindings instead of button hardcode. [Akari]

2014-12-05
----------
+ [Dialogs] Add "hide" method to messages. [Akari]
+ [Dialogs] Add variables to text via "set_variable" method. [Akari]
+ [UI] Add variable support to textarea element. [Akari]
+ [UI] Add pause_ok and time pause to textarea. [Akari]

2014-12-02
----------
+ [UI] Add posibility to set animation keyframe time in percent. [Akari]

2014-12-01
----------
+ [Dialogs] Add base window with text. [Akari]
+ [UI] Add overflow, next page and related states. [Akari]
+ [UI] Add feature of printing text in textarea element. [Akari]
* [UI] Change widget "scissor" parameter to "scissor_area". Add this parameter as animatable. [Akari]

Current ingame bindings in config.cfg
bind_game_event Space "message_ok"
bind_game_event Up "message_up"
bind_game_event Down "message_down"

bind_game_event Space "interact"
bind_game_event LCtrl "run"
bind_game_event Up "walk_up"
bind_game_event Right "walk_right"
bind_game_event Down "walk_down"
bind_game_event Left "walk_left"

Test dialog
« Last Edit: 2014-12-09 14:46:26 by Akari »

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-12-09 18:13:10 »
Where is this? Did you put it in the obsolete version of the code? :)

The latest version is here:

https://github.com/q-gears/q-gears

If you fork from this and push changes to your fork you can open a pull request. This then uses Travis-CI to check your changes build etc. This also has Ubuntu PPA that gets built daily too.

The old repos are way different than newest source, I fear it could much extra work to take your changes to the new code base if you're still using the old one?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-12-10 06:47:13 »
Where is this? Did you put it in the obsolete version of the code? :)

The latest version is here:

https://github.com/q-gears/q-gears

If you fork from this and push changes to your fork you can open a pull request. This then uses Travis-CI to check your changes build etc. This also has Ubuntu PPA that gets built daily too.

The old repos are way different than newest source, I fear it could much extra work to take your changes to the new code base if you're still using the old one?

I work with my old version without changes I don't like. You can merge it later. It's just few core files.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-12-10 17:57:34 »

I work with my old version without changes I don't like. You can merge it later. It's just few core files.

If you don't do it from a github fork it can't be merged, if you don't like the changes everyone else is making then everyone else might as well stop working on the project.

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-12-10 19:54:49 »
I would argue that a lot of the changes made were necessary in getting the thing to build on everyone's platforms and up to date dependencies like current ogre engine

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-12-10 19:56:22 »
Progress progress!
100% working nmkin_2 (All scripts)
50% working nmkin_3 (Ladders)

Cloud heads deeper into the reactor with Jessie:

zerotacg

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-12-11 06:07:44 »
If you don't do it from a github fork it can't be merged, if you don't like the changes everyone else is making then everyone else might as well stop working on the project.

behold the mighty power of hg-git, that is if akari does a push to the source forge repo [1] which seems to not have the mentioned changes by now

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/q-gears/code/ci/default/tree/

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-12-11 11:42:02 »
It doesn't change the fact that everyone working on different versions of the code makes no sense. Anyone with a software engineering background knows this is insanity.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #49 on: 2014-12-11 15:12:26 »
Akari you really should work with us on the github version of the codebase.. its gonna be much harder for us to track your changes. it can get much more complicated when were all working on seperated bases. not to mention the duplication of work and extra time to correctly merge the two code bases.