Author Topic: current source state? (Akari?)  (Read 45126 times)

Cyberman

• View Profile
current source state? (Akari?)
« on: 2008-08-17 17:37:08 »
I've been cleaning up some of my source that's floating around in my computer and realized I haven't checked out an update on the SVN system for 10 months or more.

So stupid questions time:
Is there any current source in the SVN on source forge at all?
Is there any code plan I can look at?

That's really all.  I'm working on chrono cross stuff at the moment and suddenly wondered about Q-gears code state.  I remember working on compiling OGRE a bit back on this machine.  Sigh I have so many things and I forget which I'm working on (LOL).

Anyhow looks like you are knee deep in the battle scripting system currently.

Cyb

yoshi314

• View Profile
Re: current source state? (Akari?)
« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-17 19:53:23 »
i was also curious about that. i'm following the livejournal blog, but there is no source available atm. i gues it's too early to show anything working, as still bits and pieces are being reversed.

btw if you are looking for a decent development environment, try gentoo linux. it has ogre included in repository, as well as tons of other game development-related packages. i'm currently trying to learn to code with ogre as well and gentoo seems to be most suited for the task at hand (or to any kind of developing at all, actually).

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-18 15:16:21 »
2Cyberman
There is no new source in SVN. Because noone exept me is working on it. I can send it to anyone who is interested though.

Development plan for this third alpha is implement messages and all related things (done), implement triggers (done), implement all auto activated scripts: talk collide triggers intersect etc (done), add random encounters (done), create at least one menu (in process), create start menu (in process).

If you are working on crono cross - you can get familiar yourself with new q-gears and try to convert crono cross to q-gears.

I'm taking break now while reversing ffvii battle module.

2yoshi314
To tell you the trush - field module reversed at 80%. Only thing is left are bottom layer in backgrounds, textures on models and KAWAI routines.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-18 21:46:20 »
2Cyberman
There is no new source in SVN. Because noone exept me is working on it. I can send it to anyone who is interested though.
Sad to say but true, however I got lost a while back. Erstwhile ..  I am interested (of course) source (of course) I assume you are using Cygwin for building?
Development plan for this third alpha is implement messages and all related things (done), implement triggers (done), implement all auto activated scripts: talk collide triggers intersect etc (done), add random encounters (done), create at least one menu (in process), create start menu (in process).
steady progress. As for what help I can give it will take weeks to catch up. However one thing is certain I do know how to use doxygen (which is very important).  I believe I can update SVN repositories etc. if you like.  I may spend time working on documentation (seems to be what I do a lot of these days) and being sure the integration process for new data sets is well understood by me before attempting to do much else. 
If you are working on crono cross - you can get familiar yourself with new q-gears and try to convert crono cross to q-gears.

CC is fairly certain. As faustwolf has been out and I've been playing ketchup I mean catch up :D I've already have a VFS set up and I'm working on proper data acquisition. IE getting the data out of the VFS (I can extract TIM files right now so next will have to be models just need to verify my files match there files etc.)
2yoshi314
To tell you the trush - field module reversed at 80%. Only thing is left are bottom layer in backgrounds, textures on models and KAWAI routines.
Who was working on the KAWAI code? I thought someone was. Hmmmm.
Backgrounds I've messed with a bit I might take a look at that (simplest thing to do for me).

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-08-19 17:24:18 »
2Cyberman
Sad to say but true, however I got lost a while back. Erstwhile ..  I am interested (of course) source (of course) I assume you are using Cygwin for building?

Code::Blocks with mingw.

steady progress. As for what help I can give it will take weeks to catch up. However one thing is certain I do know how to use doxygen (which is very important).  I believe I can update SVN repositories etc. if you like.  I may spend time working on documentation (seems to be what I do a lot of these days) and being sure the integration process for new data sets is well understood by me before attempting to do much else.

The real help I need is testing and porting real game to an engine. Extractors and converters from FFVII and other games.

CC is fairly certain. As faustwolf has been out and I've been playing ketchup I mean catch up :D I've already have a VFS set up and I'm working on proper data acquisition. IE getting the data out of the VFS (I can extract TIM files right now so next will have to be models just need to verify my files match there files etc.)
2yoshi314
Backgrounds I've messed with a bit I might take a look at that (simplest thing to do for me).

Cyb

I worked with KAWAI but stopped. I think FFVII is the only game that use such technology (dynamic vertex shading). I didn't found this in FFVIII, FFIX, Crono Cross, Xenogears, Parasite Eve. So I still think if this feature need as it is in FFVII or not.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-08-19 22:14:57 »
Code::Blocks with mingw.
I'll take a look at it I believe.

The real help I need is testing and porting real game to an engine. Extractors and converters from FFVII and other games.
Kind of what I was thinking only from a different perspective. The process needs to be defined so that it is highly repeatable (IE more than just one or two people can do it).  Hence documentation and beating it into a well defined systematic method for implementing game porting and data extraction for Q-gears.

I worked with KAWAI but stopped. I think FFVII is the only game that use such technology (dynamic vertex shading). I didn't found this in FFVIII, FFIX, Crono Cross, Xenogears, Parasite Eve. So I still think if this feature need as it is in FFVII or not.
Well halflife 2 uses it for visual affects as part of there HDR visuals.
Erstwhile of the the Square games for the playstation if only FFVII uses it, that does kind of make a damper on the effort.

Cyb

BesideTheVoid

• formerly known as ProtoArmor
    • View Profile
    • Official BesideTheVoid Productions Website
« Reply #6 on: 2008-08-24 09:06:42 »
Since svn is not updated, do you do your backups?  :-D
I just thought I'd say something--ePSXe lost it's source code due to hard drive crash...that held up development for a LONG time... :cry:

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-09-17 19:07:16 »
looks like things are slowly moving forward, looking at livejournal entries.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-09-19 04:05:50 »
Yup =)
Working on party related script commands now.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-09-21 20:23:24 »
this might be off topic, but can you share some code snippets, or good tutorials for ogre3d?

i'm particularily interested on how to load a custom 3d model data in ogre3d. i'm still learning how to use this engine, and there is a lot of learning ahead of me.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-09-22 19:33:59 »
this might be off topic, but can you share some code snippets, or good tutorials for ogre3d?

i'm particularily interested on how to load a custom 3d model data in ogre3d. i'm still learning how to use this engine, and there is a lot of learning ahead of me.

QGears doesn't have code that loads custom data. It's load data from Ogre native format. I have an exporter, but it's code so awful that even I don't want look at it. There are a lot of exporters source on ogre3d site. In short, you just need to fill vertex bufers manually and then use MeshSerializer.

I will rewrite exporter in few weeks, because I found a lot of minir errors but it seems imposible to fix and quick test them (you need do a lot of manual configure and then rebuild exporter to export single model).

About progress:  I reproduce first two field in game (without backgrounds, movies and sounds) and it mostly working =)
It's like final animations test. When it's complete - I record new video to show some progress =)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-09-22 23:20:46 »

QGears doesn't have code that loads custom data. It's load data from Ogre native format. I have an exporter, but it's code so awful that even I don't want look at it. There are a lot of exporters source on ogre3d site. In short, you just need to fill vertex bufers manually and then use MeshSerializer.

I will rewrite exporter in few weeks, because I found a lot of minir errors but it seems imposible to fix and quick test them (you need do a lot of manual configure and then rebuild exporter to export single model).

About progress:  I reproduce first two field in game (without backgrounds, movies and sounds) and it mostly working =)
It's like final animations test. When it's complete - I record new video to show some progress =)
Good to hear (I almost wrote Godo to hear LOL).
I was going to set things up with Ogre3d July of last yea,r but I got distracted and never finish (LOL), instead I've been reworking some old tools I made. I guess I'm getting old LOL.

Cyb

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-09-23 06:51:27 »
QGears doesn't have code that loads custom data. It's load data from Ogre native format. I have an exporter, but it's code so awful that even I don't want look at it.
so, to rephrase - you cannot load arbitrary file format data directly into ogre interpreting it on-the-fly, but you have to convert them beforehand?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-09-23 13:09:49 »
QGears doesn't have code that loads custom data. It's load data from Ogre native format. I have an exporter, but it's code so awful that even I don't want look at it.
so, to rephrase - you cannot load arbitrary file format data directly into ogre interpreting it on-the-fly, but you have to convert them beforehand?

You could write your own loaders. After all you load model in exporter, you could draw them if you want.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-09-23 21:15:36 »

You could write your own loaders. After all you load model in exporter, you could draw them if you want.
Which is a good way to do all of it in any case.

I'm not sure what yoshi314 you are thinking? Are you contemplating new content for FF7?

Cyb

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-09-24 15:42:43 »
i was rather hoping for some pointers to understand ogre3d's support for non-native file formats a little bit.

i'm trying to learn ogre stuff by attempting to create a model viewer for one of square's psx games. psx games have not too complex models, so it should make things easier.

but i'm at a very early learning stage. so far i got hold of a few tutorials and i'm studying the code and adapting them to more recent ogre version during the process (as some of them are pretty much outdated).

as far as new content goes - i'm not much of an artist. i'm more interested in figuring out data structures used in those games, out of curiosity ;-)

likwidoxigen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-10-06 01:39:49 »
Can you update the SVN so that everyone can work on it and go through the current source instead of what's 7 months outdated up there...

After all, what's the point in source control if you don't use it. Just keep a track with which revision still compiles on the forum and that way we can have a build that works and a build to hack on.
« Last Edit: 2008-10-06 01:52:39 by likwidoxigen »

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-10-11 13:23:44 »
Can you update the SVN so that everyone can work on it and go through the current source instead of what's 7 months outdated up there...
SVN isn't updated, as project is currently being rewritten from scratch. I think, when things will settle up, there will be new source.
After all, what's the point in source control if you don't use it.
We use a "special" source control for now, as there is no more than two of us.

You say 7 months? I have seen neither interest nor any possible reverse_engeneering/coding/testing help from community for last year.
Are you willing to help? Currently there is need to reverse engeneer world map and implement it to current source. If so, we'll gladly restore SVN codebase for you.
Otherwise, patiently wait, as, for example, I have no time to manage project on sourceforge, better to use my free time coding needed features for new Q-Gears source.

likwidoxigen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008-10-11 14:46:46 »
SVN isn't updated, as project is currently being rewritten from scratch. I think, when things will settle up, there will be new source.
I guess it just confuses me to be working on it yet not releasing any versions for the public. I'd love to play with the new source, I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

You say 7 months? .
I was referring to 7 months since last svn update.

Are you willing to help? Currently there is need to reverse engeneer world map and implement it to current source. If so, we'll gladly restore SVN codebase for you.
While I've never worked on a project like this before I'm more than willing to devote some time to it.

I have no time to manage project on sourceforge, better to use my free time coding needed features for new Q-Gears source.
Even just a new svn commit every month or so just to keep the source kind of fresh? I'm certainly not asking for daily updates, news releases, blog posts, etc. that would just be unrealistic on my part.

Yes, i'd like to help, it'll take me a while to catch up to what's going on, but I Love the game so it won't be terribly hard to make time for it.

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008-10-11 15:45:51 »
Ok, I'll discuss this with Akari on Monday, and we'll try to move new sources to SVN.
It would be great, if you can devote some time to the project.
So as soon as possible, it would be new sources on sourceforge.

likwidoxigen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008-10-11 16:35:42 »
Ok, I'll discuss this with Akari on Monday, and we'll try to move new sources to SVN.
It would be great, if you can devote some time to the project.
So as soon as possible, it would be new sources on sourceforge.

Thanks man. I didn't mean to come off the wrong way. I'll start going over the wiki and gears doc.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008-10-11 18:24:15 »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008-10-12 02:03:45 »
Ok sounds good Akari. What is your tool chain by the way? Are you using DEVC++ with Ogre libraries under windows?

Cyb

likwidoxigen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008-10-12 03:11:08 »
Project blog is here http://community.livejournal.com/q_gears/

Thanks Akari, i'll start there. And i'll echo Cyberman's question.  I was figuring on developing on linux so if there's a makefile hanging around that would be a pretty sweet deal too.

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008-10-12 09:13:09 »
Ok sounds good Akari. What is your tool chain by the way? Are you using DEVC++ with Ogre libraries under windows?
Akari is using MinGW toolchain and he is developing using CodeBlocks IDE under windows. DevCpp is abandoned for over a year.
From my side, I can guarantee, that current codebase is compiling and working with gcc-4.2.3 (latest on Ubuntu Hardy) on Linux.
I was figuring on developing on linux so if there's a makefile hanging around that would be a pretty sweet deal too.
Currently I am using CodeBlocks for Linux too, it speeds up development process. For now there isn't autotools scripts, so there isn't
any makefiles created. You can use my project file for CodeBlocks, or I can create autotools scripts for project
(however autoconf scripts would be separated from source tree, because Akari don't like Makefile.* in src directory :) ).