Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] BerryMapper- texture replacement for Tonberry mod (2014-12-15)  (Read 351616 times)

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
_________BERRYMAPPER_________
Berrymapper is a tool to use in combination with the texture injector TONBERRY, written by Omzy. Tonberry is a program that extracts texures from the game and replace them with HD ones. To make this possible Tonberry has to identify the texture to be replaced, by giving them "hashcodes". Those hashcodes are generated with BERRYMAPPER.

Here is what Berrymapper produces:
sql_13,1721133567

And when Tonberry reads it it gives this in runtime:

LAST EDIT 2014-12-06:
Here is the program i created to generate the hashmaps:Berrymapper

It's a little console program that reads the content of Berrymapper.exe/INPUT and converts it to hashcode in the OUTPUT folder.

For character hashcodes copy "objmap.csv" and put it in FINAL FANTASY VIII/tonberry/hashmap/

For other textures copy "hashmap.csv" and put it in FINAL FANTASY VIII/tonberry/hashmap/

Follow the directives in the links below: Tonberry directives

Release log:
Version    Published on       Comment       
0002014-11-06First release
0012014-12-06Now you can add entire directories with subdirectories in INPUT/.Fancy loading bar.Columns are clearly identified in objmap.csv.
Press [ESC] TO EXIT

____PROJECTS USING BERRYMAPPER_____

____TONBERRY_____
The original tool (v1.5) can be found there:Tonberry v1.5
I put the link there to give tribute to its creator Omzy.

The newest version of Tonberry ( with brandnew functionalities) is provided there:Tonberry v1.6 and higher

Thank you for contributing to the characters hashmap:
Mortael
FatedCourage

Thank you for painting the textures:
Magochocobo
Devina
Yagami Light
Mortael
Crestian
Mcindus

« Last Edit: 2015-03-20 19:43:37 by Shunsq »

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: [FF8-steam] Character texture replacement
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-22 21:46:28 »
Awesome

gtrhitman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-23 00:39:21 »
It worked! Thank you! (and Magochocobo of course)  I hope you're able to find the hash values for the other characters.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-23 01:52:56 by gtrhitman »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-23 00:52:40 »
Oh my gosh!!! I can die now!

magochocobo

• View Profile
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-23 03:00:56 »
ooooh it's great!!
to finally I have a reason for finish the edea and ward texture xD
Very thanks for your work!!
:D

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-23 04:23:19 »
Seems great but i can't get it to working. Did everything you say , but still doesn't work. Someone reply and help please!!

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-23 12:15:46 »
Seems great but i can't get it to working. Did everything you say , but still doesn't work. Someone reply and help please!!
Do you have the Steam version of FF8? Omzy's mod only works for the Steam version.

K43SJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-10-23 12:32:38 »
awesome !

textures was worked !
but only disc 1 at balamb Graden

i hope this project will complete soon as you can, i love you  :evil:

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-10-23 14:44:02 »
Awesome start, can you give a tutorial for finding out which textures you need from the texture dump, because Omzys explanation doesn't really help, and I'd like to help also how did you know what to name the files for the new textures etc. Also when I was looking at the textures it looked like every scene has them differently if thats the case doing all characters is gonna take a while
« Last Edit: 2014-10-23 15:13:44 by Yagami Light »

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-10-23 16:13:43 »
Do you have the Steam version of FF8? Omzy's mod only works for the Steam version.

Yes i have the steam version and have others mods installed as well. This just doesn't seem to work. You put the textures in the texture folder in tonberry right?

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-10-23 16:28:04 »
And one more thing, i change the "objfile" to "objmap" and he says to copy the text on it at the end , but for me the file doesn't have anything when i first open it. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-10-23 16:35:17 »
And one more thing, i change the "objfile" to "objmap" and he says to copy the text on it at the end , but for me the file doesn't have anything when i first open it. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes the objmap should be empty just copy the names and hash numbers using notepad and save, then copy the sq folder into the textures folder, keep in mind only certain parts of balamb garden work and only with Squall

Shunsq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-10-23 17:27:55 »
Hi everyone and thank  you for your positive feedback,
To help me, play the game  ::). Each time  you see that a texture isn't replaced do as follows:
-Switch to your desktop without quiting the game and open your FINAL FANTASY VIII/Tonberry/ folder. Change "debug0" into "debug".
-Go back to the game and move around during 5 seconds in the scene( don't move into another scene !).
-Switch back to the tonberry folder and change "debug" into "debug0".Look into  debug/nomatch/ for textures that look like sqpant, sqhead or sql. Even if it seems to be the same texture send it to me anyway.
-Copy them into a new folder, zip it and send it to me.

I use my own program to generate hashcode from the textures. It is based on Tonberry hash generator.

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2014-10-23 18:15:14 »
It appears you've only changed Squall. Do you think you'll get to Mago's other reskins eventually?

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-10-23 22:02:16 »
I probably have it correct , maybe i just haven't run across the specific parts you speak of. Can you give me a place to test that you know works for sure?

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-10-24 13:37:57 »
Make sure theres only 1 sq folder with 3 files inside that one, it actually works at most places just try balamb garden to be sure.

ChaosFenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-10-24 18:14:47 »
I tried every area in Balamb Garden and Balamb town but still doesnt show up for me. I don't understand whats the problem , do i need to add support for these textures to tonberry or something?
Thx also for the fast replys.

Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-10-25 19:53:45 »
Wow, really nice. Imagine too get this working 100% in game and for every (major) character! Great job.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-10-26 01:04:31 »
I really dislike some aspects of the texture that I feel are unfaithful to the original, so I changed a few things.

- Made the necklace higher so it doesn't have that black pixel near the bottom
- Desaturated the jacket from brown to black
- Made the jacket and pants darker. This fixes the weird line on the thigh.
- Made the hair darker

Left = original
middle = original HD
right = my version

If you can retexture all the other models, I'd be happy to collaborate on an HD texture project.

Also, any idea about retexturing the world map and battle backgrounds? The grass and stuff looks bad.
It would be great to put in HD grass and clouds.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-26 01:16:57 by Devina »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #19 on: 2014-10-26 08:41:27 »
That is some great improvement! I hope some day it will become complete! Thanks a lot for that contribution Dev! Highly appreciated!

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-10-26 11:38:11 »
Very very nice...

This image with the comparisson just shows an amazing work we've been expecting for a long long time...

Thank you.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-10-26 19:52:59 »
I really dislike some aspects of the texture that I feel are unfaithful to the original, so I changed a few things.

- Made the necklace higher so it doesn't have that black pixel near the bottom
- Desaturated the jacket from brown to black
- Made the jacket and pants darker. This fixes the weird line on the thigh.
- Made the hair darker

Left = original
middle = original HD
right = my version

[/img]

If you can retexture all the other models, I'd be happy to collaborate on an HD texture project.

Also, any idea about retexturing the world map and battle backgrounds? The grass and stuff looks bad.
It would be great to put in HD grass and clouds.

[/img]

I think it looks better, but your versions neck looks like 1 giant pixel though lol I'd recommend turning off linear filtering since all it does is blur the image. still keep in mind chocos textures were made for the battle models, I have extracted the battle scene backgrounds etc and made them tonberry ready I'll pm you the files. As for the world map, Ill start on that after, the problem with the world map though is there's a lot of messed up mesh areas that nobody knows how to fix but we can still try new textures to see what it looks like.

Shunsq

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-10-26 20:11:29 »
2014-10-26:Hashmap updated on first post
I've been testing hashcodes for Selphie and Zell. But it's a pain to adapt Magochocobo's battle model textures to field models. What would be really helpfull is a tool to export the field models to have their UV coordinates.
So far i can give you the hashcodes but not the HD textures. If people are willing to help ( Devina , Mago...), could you paint the textures?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-10-26 20:58:46 »
You can export battle models.  I would assume the UV coordinates would be the same

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-10-26 22:06:37 »
Field and battle have two different models which are different in detail similar as in FF7.