Author Topic: Random Links  (Read 107986 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Random Links
« Reply #100 on: 2014-08-09 21:37:33 »
I'm an I'll believe it when I see it kind of guy.

So you believe in magic and media? I mean both are illusions and tricks your brain.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2014-08-09 22:35:37 »
Magic and media are much easier to explain than half the shit that happens in that there book.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2014-08-09 23:45:50 »
Not at the moment you see it, you can only guess how the trick works or what the truth behind it is. And I suppose you believe more in your guess as what your eyes do told you. I only want to say that the way 'I only trust in what I see' is the same dangerous way as 'I only trust in what I believe'.
A healthy mixture of both is necessary.

We can explain the universe with math, but we can't explain the soul with it, for this we need philosophy. By the way this is an elemental question for the future: Where does living begin?
For your eyes a computer is a thing, but in future when you talk with him or when he makes his own decisions, would you still call it a thing or would you believe he is more?
It impossible to live without to believe in something, which needs your imaginary to let it exist and maybe that's why a computer can't live.

So a joke at the end because I didn't know if computer is either masculine, feminine or neuter.
http://www.acnw.de/board/showthread.php?t=19014

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2014-08-10 04:08:48 »
A computer is masculine. Because that's how it is in French. And because someone said it in a book, so it must be true!

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2014-08-22 11:53:29 »

AaronSOLDIER

• final7fantasy.com
    • View Profile
    • F7F Forums
« Reply #105 on: 2014-09-15 10:43:17 »
Some Black Mages tracks I uploaded years ago, basically its a band Uematsu formed which does remixes of classic FF tracks, including OWA from Advent Children. If you haven't heard them before here's a few of my favorites:

Dancing Mad from FFVI, their best one IMO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ADPB5NrZw

Assault of the Silver Dragons (awesome throughout):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccBmUwbDRI

FF7 Opening Bombing Mission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW58bxtrB1U

You can check out all 3 CDs they released too via my playlists:
1: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL536FF160B7C1185E
2: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAD181BBE163CD4EC
3: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67BB87509F21CBD9

Hope y'all like :)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2014-09-15 20:35:13 »
Well, the Advent Children music was played by the Black Mages (although not alone), not remade. The Skies Above is their best IMO.

AaronSOLDIER

• final7fantasy.com
    • View Profile
    • F7F Forums
« Reply #107 on: 2014-09-16 02:16:42 »
Well, the Advent Children music was played by the Black Mages (although not alone), not remade. The Skies Above is their best IMO.

Sorry, that's what I meant, they did the AC OWA track. Who else performed with them? Any members from Earthbound Papas?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #108 on: 2014-10-02 10:36:08 »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2014-10-02 20:56:29 »
/facepalmintofaceplantintofacedesk

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #110 on: 2014-10-18 00:56:36 »
It’s crazy that Quentin Tarantino still watches VHS!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-20 12:57:17 by LeonhartGR »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #111 on: 2014-10-20 12:54:25 »
Taking the Michael: Tijuana traffic-cop boogies on the 'Beat it'
« Last Edit: 2014-10-20 12:56:38 by LeonhartGR »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #112 on: 2014-11-01 15:31:27 »
Open with chrome:
The Devil Inside 1920x1080 HD 60 FPS (incredible!!!) test with the OBS software!

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #113 on: 2014-11-03 08:55:39 »
Mike Tyson – I’m A Cartoon!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2014-11-04 23:15:01 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RXpVsMo1s

A nice eye-opener on the "Religion of Peace".

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #115 on: 2014-11-05 21:07:29 »
Nice! It's all middle east what's left to blame in the end I guess... while the real extremists are appearing as peacemakers and politically correct in front of the eyes of the people!
« Last Edit: 2014-11-05 21:15:57 by LeonhartGR »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2014-11-06 20:14:47 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29933328

If that title doesn't tell you what kind of shoddy piece of shit this is likely to be, nothing will. HAHAHA!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2014-11-06 21:13:32 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29933328

If that title doesn't tell you what kind of shoddy piece of strawberries this is likely to be, nothing will. HAHAHA!
I dunno about that. I mean, yeah, the title is crap, but I'd not be surprised if it was chosen by marketing goons. But the screenplay itself is being by Abrams (who is very hit or miss, and not really a reliable indicator of good or bad) and LAWRENCE FREAKIN' KASDSAN, who was the driving creative force behind The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Kasdan's involvement can only lead to a good movie.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2014-11-06 21:15:56 »
I am less optimistic. I don't think it's likely that you can make a self-contained story carry on without immense skill.  I see this being more of the same - action sequences at the expense of narrative.  I will be happy to come back here and eat humble pie if wrong.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2014-11-06 21:33:12 »
I don't think it's likely that you can make a self-contained story carry on without immense skill.
I completely agree with this, but allow me to point out that Star Wars was original conceived as a self-contained story in the first place (in spite of what Lucas may have claimed later), modeled point-for-point after Joseph Campbell's Monomyth. And you know who successfully carried it on? Lawrence Kasdan. See, re-opening a closed story is specifically a skill he has experience with.

But among other things, I get the distinct impression this isn't even meant as a continuation so much as a completely new story set in the same universe, with some common characters. If this is indeed the case, it'll be much harder to mess it up.

At any rate, there's no way in hell it'll be as bad as the prequel trilogy, because Lucas isn't being allowed anywhere near this.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2014-11-17 11:14:11 »
modeled point-for-point after Joseph Campbell's Monomyth

Looks like the story of Cloud ...

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2014-11-17 16:29:14 »
modeled point-for-point after Joseph Campbell's Monomyth.

It's a shame that Monomyth got popularised in the way that it did. A lot of the problems you see in modern story-telling for films, and games, seems to stem from writers slavishly sticking to that (or to the modernised version they use in certain studios as a blueprint anyway). And considering the background it's coming from, the new Star Wars film will definitely follow the formula but it'll be up to the director, Kasdan, and creative to develop the story to the point where each 'phase' in that formula at least flows naturally into the next or is developed and altered enough that they can be used in different and effective ways.

If instead they do stuff like equate 'The Trials' with 'main dude fights a bunch of CGI monsters' or have a 'refusal of the call' purely because the formula has one (rather than because it has something valid to add to the story) then who knows. There'll definitely be some big battle sequence somewhere that's too cluttered with details to have a proper impact though, because focus groups seem to have a blind spot for that sort of thing. My 2 cents.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2014-11-17 16:44:28 »
And considering the background it's coming from, the new Star Wars film will definitely follow the formula but it'll be up to the director, Kasdan, and creative to develop the story to the point where each 'phase' in that formula at least flows naturally into the next or is developed and altered enough that they can be used in different and effective ways.
I dunno, Kasdan has a history of not using Monomyth for this franchise. It was obviously a focal point of the original movie, which Lucas "wrote", but The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi both very much don't use it. Hell, Empire begins a new story in media res and with the hero's main struggle being whether or not he's even ready, both of which fundamentally go against Monomyth at a pretty basic level.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2014-11-17 17:35:43 »
Hopefully that'll be the case, but I'm thinking about the director and the studio in particular putting pressure on. I'm also worried about Kasdan himself, his last film wasn't very well received (Darling Companion) and he's actually been quite good with that genre in the past (French Kiss was a good film for instance) so I'm wondering if he's still got it or not. If he hasn't, he might find himself deferring more to Abrams (who as I understand it is also one of the co-writers), who has been seen to use Monomyth, and Disney pretty much helped to make that an industry standard to begin with; they've been using it for decades, so you can bet money that anyone else they bring in for creative, any of their own people, will be at the very least aware of it, if not drilled on it.

One thing to note though is that there's a difference between the original Monomyth that was written by Joseph Campbell and the modern one, which was adapted for commercial use. Because the commercial one has had a lot of success in the past, and because Star Wars cost a lot to acquire and is guaranteed to draw an audience, they'll be wanting to hit a home run on it. That means repeat-viewings, toys/merch, DVDs (or, y'know, digital sales). And the trend in recent years for big budget films aimed at being blockbusters is to play it safe (which means formula).

Another worry I've got is that they picked up Kasdan and others more for marketing purposes. If you look at the prequels from a business perspective, they'll be looking at ways to repair the damage. Star Wars is a guaranteed hot property, but they'll be wanting to maximise the revenue they get and that means repairing trust in the franchise. And a way of doing that is picking up people involved with the original trilogy, as if to say this is going to be a lot more like those films; it's trying to give this new trilogy an early sense of success through association.

But I guess we'll see what happens. Not personally looking forward to seeing old Harrison Ford though; nowadays he seems to suck all the energy out of every scene he's in. It's painful to see him in films nowadays and then thinking back to something like The Fugitive.

ProtoX

« Reply #124 on: 2014-11-25 01:32:09 »
The Holidays Can Be So Creepy