Author Topic: Would like second opinion on PC hardware failure - computer does not POST  (Read 4281 times)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
Hey

I've got a system on my hands that has an issue that leaves me slightly puzzled.

It stopped booting.

The power LED lights up in front of the case and on the motherboard inside the case but that's it.  The fans don't spin up and the computer doesn't seem to even try to initiate POST.  I swapped the power supply for another one I had lying around thinking it might be the issue but the same problem occurs.

I'm thinking it must be a motherboard failure of some sort, perhaps a circuit leading to the CPU fried, but power still reaches parts of the motherboard anyway since both LED's light up.

Anybody has any thoughts ?

Cloudster

• Talk... or I'll chop it off!
    • View Profile
This is a bit late, but I hope you haven't gone away to sleep in a coffin for 20 years or something...

You might want to take the CPU heatsink off, lay a finger on the CPU chip, turn on the computer and quickly reach for the power cord. If the CPU gets hot (it'll heat up way faster than say, an iron, hot plate or electric stove) quickly yank the cord. If it doesn't even get warm, I think you know what the problem is ;)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
I've replaced the system with an old one who used to be my personal system (cuz I replaced that one with a brand spaking new one  :mrgreen: ) but I did keep the mobo and CPU and would love to find a use for them.

Further testing actually got the fans spinning but it still wouldn't post or show any HDD activity (and I don't even know why it resumed spinning the fans as I had not replaced any parts or removed any parts).

My guess is one of the Voltage rails on the mobo fried.  The question now would be if the CPU fried as well because it was left running or if power was never sent to it.  I'd need to buy a new mobo to test out the theory properly though and that might be more trouble than its worth since a mobo of that era is a technological dead end now.

Cloudster

• Talk... or I'll chop it off!
    • View Profile
Look for the BIOS chip (should be in a little socket), pry it out with a sewing pin or something, and clean the contacts with a hard artist's eraser and replace it in the socket.

NOTE: Please note the orientation of the BIOS chip before taking it out!

Looks like this:

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
Look for the BIOS chip (should be in a little socket), pry it out with a sewing pin or something, and clean the contacts with a hard artist's eraser and replace it in the socket.

NOTE: Please note the orientation of the BIOS chip before taking it out!

Looks like this:
this isnt possible for like 10 years now, all BIoS chips are solded

Otokoshi

• View Profile
This does sound like a problem with your main board.  I could understand not wanting to invest a great deal in an aging platform and I can also see the use in a spare machine doing some server or VPN tasks.  I would suggest checking CraigsList or FreeCycle.  You never know, you might get lucky and find the board or an entire system with the compatible socket.  That way if your CPU was fried as well, at least you got an additional one with your purchase.