Author Topic: FF7 Mod - Remove Mouths (Help/Request)  (Read 53721 times)

skull-boy666

• View Profile
FF7 Mod - Remove Mouths (Help/Request)
« on: 2013-07-09 17:33:36 »
I'm sorry if this is the wrong topic to post this in, but it seemed to be the most approperiate to my very specific issue.

I'm seeking help to remove a minor annoyance I have with the PC version of FF7... I really don't like the mouths they added to the avatars, is there any way at all to just remove the mouth textures? Really, it's just the open mouth O's that I don't like, it looks silly to me, and they didn't have them in the original game.

"Uuuuuh...." Sephiroth looks like he's very confused and/or eating an Oreo...
Why wouldn't they give Sephiroth the same mouth that Cloud has?

Anyhow, again, if there's a mod out there that removes the weird mouths, I'd love that. If not, someone please point me in the right direction to request such a mod. If there is not such a mod in existence, I would very much like to recruit a modder to help make such a mod for me, so if that's possible, I'd love to know the details to make that happen.

Hell, I'd be happy if it's just taking Sephiroth's O mouth off, no one else who has it particularly bothers me.

EDIT: I don't want to use the Chibi replacer either, I like the Chibis, I just don't want the open mouth O mouths is all, they're distracting to me.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-09 17:43:09 by skull-boy666 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: FF7 Mod - Remove Mouths (Help/Request)
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-10 00:24:23 »
There are a few replacement mods that maintain the chibi aspect (and possibly overdo it) while making the models not look rushed. Check the Big List of Mods and see if any of those suit you.

skull-boy666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-10 12:57:04 »
There are a few replacement mods that maintain the chibi aspect (and possibly overdo it) while making the models not look rushed. Check the Big List of Mods and see if any of those suit you.

Hey thanks! I hope there's something in there that suits my needs...
Also, hehe, Derpy <3

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-10 13:16:46 »
I just don't want the open mouth O mouths is all, they're distracting to me.
Lol... "O mouths" Jessie looks downright obscene with her mouth like that in high-res.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-10 21:21:33 »
Hi all, here's a patch I put together that'll remove all those gaping NPC mouth textures. It basically replaces all of the mouth textures with a 'blank' one that makes them look like they did on the PSX. Just tested it, and seems to have worked. Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nh088mjhvmfxqx7

Edit: Here's the updated link - http://www.mediafire.com/download/uqw11dd4nskdu1b/FF7_Mouth_Removal.zip

The patch is an .exe so you just run it and specify the 'field' folder in FF7's data folder when asked for it. I've only tested this with the old FF7 PC though, so not sure how compatible it's going to be with the newer versions. It's a pretty minor mod but good practice for creating patches and making them available. If there's any issues or if I've missed any of the mouth texture files then let me know; I've got a big ol' notepad listing every file in that char.lgp so I can fix it nice and quick. If there's a security issue with the patch not being able to access program files then try running it as administrator or copy-pasting the field folder to the desktop, patching it there, and then copy-pasting it back into the FF7 data folder (make sure to back everything up before modding, though).

This is the first mod (if you can call it that) I've uploaded but I've got a few bigger projects in the works. If I did anything wrong, then let me know.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-12 00:02:44 by Sega Chief »

skull-boy666

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-11 00:05:30 »
Hi all, here's a patch I put together that'll remove all those gaping NPC mouth textures. It basically replaces all of the mouth textures with a 'blank' one that makes them look like they did on the PSX. Just tested it, and seems to have worked. Here's the link:

The patch is an .exe so you just run it and specify the 'field' folder in FF7's data folder when asked for it. I've only tested this with the old FF7 PC though, so not sure how compatible it's going to be with the newer versions. It's a pretty minor mod but good practice for creating patches and making them available. If there's any issues or if I've missed any of the mouth texture files then let me know; I've got a big ol' notepad listing every file in that char.lgp so I can fix it nice and quick. If there's a security issue with the patch not being able to access program files then try running it as administrator or copy-pasting the field folder to the desktop, patching it there, and then copy-pasting it back into the FF7 data folder (make sure to back everything up before modding, though).

This is the first mod (if you can call it that) I've uploaded but I've got a few bigger projects in the works. If I did anything wrong, then let me know.
You are my hero! I will try it out right now!
I'll let you know if it works, this is the first mod I've installed...

EDIT: Aw man, it keeps telling me the program's folder doesn't have any files to update, do you know what that means?
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11 00:11:54 by skull-boy666 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-11 00:47:29 »
I was afraid that might happen. Are you using FF7 through Steam or the PC re-release? If so, have a read of this first: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14408.0

There was a tool kicking around to convert the PC re-release into the 'old' 1998 version but I'm not sure how functional that tool was or if it'd even be compatible with the Steam release at all (there're three versions; the original 1998, the re-release that came out on the Square-Enix store, and now this Steam version).

You might want to try running Bootleg to convert the game into the 'old' version (which makes it compatible with most mods). It's a hefty download, and you'll lose Cloud saves (the game's saves take up next to nothing in space) and 'achievements' (if they can be called that) but the game will become compatible with mods. Hopefully. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

I saw later on this Bootleg thread, on p43, that it might be necessary to relocate your Steam files for the Bootleg install to D:\Games\Steam but that it might be possible to just put the FF7 folder in D:\Games instead (rather than moving the entire Steam directory) and then directing the bootleg installer at that instead.

You could maybe try taking the field folder out of the Steam FF7 Data folder, putting it on the desktop, patching it there, and then putting it back in but I doubt it'd work. Also, make sure to run the patch with administrator privileges; if it doesn't have that, it'll likely be blocked because it's trying to make changes to files inside Program folders.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11 00:58:47 by Sega Chief »

skull-boy666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-11 00:58:30 »
I was afraid that might happen. Are you using FF7 through Steam or the PC re-release? If so, have a read of this first: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14408.0

There was a tool kicking around to convert the PC re-release into the 'old' 1998 version but I'm not sure how functional that tool was or if it'd even be compatible with the Steam release at all (there're three versions; the original 1998, the re-release that came out on the Square-Enix store, and now this Steam version).

I saw on the Bootleg thread that a potential fix might be to make a new folder on the D:\ drive and call it Games, with a folder inside called Steam (so 'D:\Games\Steam') and then copy-paste all the FF7 files into there before patching them. Not sure if that'd work, though; it's probably gonna take a week or so before everything gets figured out but give it a try. And remember to give the patch administrator privileges if it doesn't already; anything that tries to alter a file in Program Files needs permission otherwise it gets blocked.

Damn, I didn't know about any of this before buying it, I should've just gotten the physical version like I planned to before this release. Oh well, I'll try some more stuff, but I'm guessing it's smart to just wait to see how things progress. I'll let you know if I find something that works.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-11 01:00:13 »
I just edited my last post with some suggestions and I revised what I was saying about the Bootleg. I'm going to have my friend try out the patch as well just to make sure it's working properly. I downloaded a copy of it and used it myself but it might have retained some settings or permissions or something. Hope it works out in the end.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-11 03:16:44 »
Gonna test this rq on a new Steam build. Brilliant stuff, Chief.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11 03:33:47 by Template »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-11 03:32:49 »
Thanks, buddy; I'd really appreciate that.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-11 03:49:10 »
Works fine, guys. On STEAM, too. Be sure you point it all the way through the folder tree to the "field" directory in your STEAM files. For me it was: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\field
which is a big tree, actually. Can see why people are having trouble with STEAM ff7 mods even when they install it right.

Edit: So after pulling the game up the patch definitely got rid of the "O" mouths, but it seems to have not replaced them with any mouth at all, most of the NPCs are blank mouth now. STEAM's launcher is making my screenshots come out blank, too so I can't show you. I think it's still an improvement  :-D Edit: Well, that's about as far as I got with it.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11 05:49:47 by Template »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-07-11 10:43:03 »
It works on the Steam version? That's good to hear. The mouths are supposed to be blank; I replaced them with a blank texture for a retro Playstation look (but I left the main characters alone because they have normal-ish mouths). Here's another version that replaces (most) of the mouth textures with ones used by the main characters: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dn4ujcbgglxuzj4/Mouth_Replacer.exe
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11 15:15:15 by Sega Chief »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-07-12 22:40:25 »
Yeah these work great. Pretty much exactly what the OP was asking for. I "appluad" you.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-07-12 22:47:11 »
Well, as far as graphical mods go these two aren't exactly gonna set the world ablaze anytime soon but at least I got an idea of how compatible this patchmaker is with other versions. Thanks for testing them for me, Template; wonder if the OP got them working, though?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-07-12 22:50:30 »
Idk take it as a good sign haven't heard back. He's probably happily playing the game with your mouth patch!  :-P

skull-boy666

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-07-29 18:11:41 »
Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been very busy getting ready for Metrocon here in Florida, I'm really greatful for your work on getting rid of the O mouths on the game!! Now I won't be distracted by Sephiroth looking like his mouth is hanging open...

Again, sorry for the late reply, much appreciated!

Redz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-04-10 11:40:33 »
Installing either of Sega Chief's mods causes the game to crash for me ("FF7_EN.exe has stopped working"). Had to revert to the original char.lgp =(

I'm using the 2012 release.

Edit: After installing the mouth replace mod, the game crashes even after I restore char.lgp. What on Earth is going on? Does this mod modify anything besides char.lgp?
« Last Edit: 2015-04-10 12:25:39 by Redz »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-04-10 15:00:17 »
The only thing they (should) do is replace the char.lgp with a modified one. I've just downloaded the patch and applied it to the Steam version of the game but it seems to be functioning normally. We'll run through some things and try to get this debugged.

-) Check that the key files are still present; these should be 'lang-en/battle/scene.bin, lang-en/kernel/kernel.bin & kernel2.bin, battle/battle.lgp, Field/flevel.lgp & char.lgp. If any of these are missing, the game won't load at all.

-) Something that helped me out recently with Skyrim mod troubles was this bit of info. In your Steam folder is a file called ClientRegistry.blob. Close down Steam and then Cut/Rename this file out of the folder, then try reloading Steam & FF7.

-) I recently made an installer for someone who hadn't backed up their FF7 files but wanted to revert to the default game. This might help, in case key files were somehow corrupted: https://mega.co.nz/#!P59iDADZ!_tqb7dQiZgyH0TMOC5cjK-DTRe98aVfU8vO4T2AEs7w

-) When all else fails, a proper re-install might be the only thing left to do. Close Steam and make a back-up of your save folder (should be under 'Documents/Square Enix'). Then go into the Steam folder and manually delete the FF7 folder, then go into actual Steam, right-click FF7, and choose to delete local content. That should completely wipe the game and ensure that it's the default that gets installed, not a back-up of your current files.

Redz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2015-04-11 16:21:41 »
I tried using that installer as well as reinstalling the game but the problem persisted. Fortunately, simply rebooting my computer fixed it :P

I'm not even sure what was the cause of the problem, but now I can run FF7 with your mods installed and all. Thank you very much for your help and for creating these fixes, the O faces really distracting!

Say, the mouth-less fix is the one accurate to the original PS1 version right? Do you know how it was in the 1998 PC version? Did it look like the Mouth Replacer version?
« Last Edit: 2015-04-11 16:29:31 by Redz »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-05-11 10:18:20 »
Ah, didn't see this reply until just now. The original 1998 version, and I think Steam as well, both used the 'O' mouth texture. No idea what they were thinking with that one.

pacoburger

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2015-06-02 01:21:40 »
Hey. Made an account pretty much for this. I really want to use these mods, because the model's mouths make me laugh. I can't take the end of Disc 1 seriously when Sepiroth looks like that. So, I tried to install these mods... but they aren't working. The error just says "unknow version". Any idea why?

Zeuz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2015-06-11 12:51:33 »
Hey. Made an account pretty much for this. I really want to use these mods, because the model's mouths make me laugh. I can't take the end of Disc 1 seriously when Sepiroth looks like that. So, I tried to install these mods... but they aren't working. The error just says "unknow version". Any idea why?

Hello. What version are you using of FFVII? I was having the same issue with the Steam version but solved it by using the original char.lgp that comes with the game. By original I mean that it has not been tampered with by mods at all (in my case the Reunion mod). You can follow Sega Chief's short guide above if you don't have a backup of char.lgp. Happy modding!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-06-11 13:52:11 »

I think this mod was created before the Steam version + 2012 SE version was released, so it can only detect the original 1998 PC version. I'll make a new patch tonight that can cover the Steam game.

Hello. What version are you using of FFVII? I was having the same issue with the Steam version but solved it by using the original char.lgp that comes with the game. By original I mean that it has not been tampered with by mods at all (in my case the Reunion mod). You can follow Sega Chief's short guide above if you don't have a backup of char.lgp. Happy modding!

Not sure what you mean by the original char.lgp; all the PC releases have the :o mouth texture for NPCs by default.

Edit: Here's an updated one, tested with 1998 & Steam release. It'll remove all the :o mouth textures from NPCs, and will work regardless of other mods previously installed. But note that any char.lgp mods previously installed with be overwritten.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-12 00:02:17 by Sega Chief »

magnetik

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-06-20 19:20:37 »
Your mouth removal patch worked for me on the latest Steam version, running via Wine on OS X 10.9. The patch itself was also run via Wine.

Now how's that for compatibility!

Thanks for the patch.