Author Topic: Sony = Stupid?  (Read 6189 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Sony = Stupid?
« on: 2010-04-26 18:45:22 »
Well, I was messing about trying to get saves off my internal PSX memorycards on my PS3, and noticed that there's the option to add an internal PS2 memory card. Since support for ps2 games has never existed in the slim version, why is it that this option still exists?

...I'm going to guess that the old PS3s that can play PS2 games still need to have updated firmware for security purposes, and so this option needs to exist anyway, exclusively for them. I'm only guessing though, does anyone actually know?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: Sony = Stupid?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-26 19:09:57 »
AFAIK, all of the different PS3 models use the same software, so yeah, I'm guessing they need to include that feature for compatibility reasons. ...either that or they're just stupid and it never occurred to anyone to remove PS2 memory card support since it's a useless feature.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-26 19:12:45 »
Some PS3 games might get things unlocked by having older games saves.
For example you could get extra cars and licences in GT3 if you had saves from the previous games, so i can only assume it's for that purpose.

I have one of the first PS3, so i don't need to bother (retro-compatibility, card reader and all the yaga yaga).
Does the newest PS3 support blue ray?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-26 20:00:39 »

That's like asking if a metal beam is made out of metal.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-26 20:04:15 »
AFAIK, all of the different PS3 models use the same software, so yeah, I'm guessing they need to include that feature for compatibility reasons. ...either that or they're just stupid and it never occurred to anyone to remove PS2 memory card support since it's a useless feature.

Removing the card support would mean another round of extensive and expensive debugging. The 'costs' of flashing a few extra kb of code to the same hardware is practically nil. Unnecessary deprecation would actually be a bad idea.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-26 22:05:42 »
sony=stupid?

answer=yes

m35

• View Profile
    • jPSXdec
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-27 02:55:43 »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-27 12:09:04 »

All PS3's have always had blu-ray

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-27 15:24:51 »
FRNXT GHRT SONY GURM
Dude, I remember that movie!

Sony's not stupid lately, so much as they are ARROGANT. I've never seen a company act as arrogant as they have been lately, except maybe Ubisoft.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-04-27 21:25:28 »
Sony's not stupid lately, so much as they are ARROGANT. I've never seen a company act as arrogant as they have been lately, except maybe Ubisoft.
This is true, I think I'm starting to get turned off to console gaming...

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-04-29 22:43:45 »
Heh, i miss my times with ma old psx.

Those times made me a sony fanboy, "i" spent around 1500€ during the time i had that one. Then it came PS2 where i bought bunch of games too, might have around 20. And lastly, PS3 came out, which i bought the first version (500€) with two games, and those are still the only 2 games i own from PS3. Might have been because of growing up, might have been because of having a computer when in my psx era i didn't, might have been the narrow diversity that we've came into.

I miss the times when a survival horror like the first Resident Evil made me afraid enough to the point i didn't want to play it alone, not like today when Resident Evil 5 has became a franchise just to sell to the masses: arcade and boring, just bang bang.

Just like PC games, just FPSs and MMORPGs. Where's the creativity? The vision? I see only games based on the same subject; "It sells? Let's make a bunch of them with different stories and different enemies!".

Maybe i'm just getting old to enjoy the new games, nostalgia hitting me hard.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-29 22:45:43 by Nightmarish »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-04-30 05:10:07 »
I wonder if its really nostalgia or the fact that older games actually had a lot of thought and love put in to their art style and direction.  All these new games just dont suck me in like the old ones did.  I can mediocrely enjoy playing, but when it comes down to it they aren't nearly as engrossing.  They have no heart

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-04-30 05:56:13 »
I wonder if its really nostalgia or the fact that older games actually had a lot of thought and love put in to their art style and direction.  All these new games just dont suck me in like the old ones did.  I can mediocrely enjoy playing, but when it comes down to it they aren't nearly as engrossing.  They have no heart

Back in the 'ole days, you'd make a game from scratch, and you didn't have very many resources, so the creativity:eyecandy ratio was higher. Nowadays, most of the time when you make a game, you're re-using some engine that's been used by x other games, essentially re-hashing the same basic game with a different story and whatnot.

Not to mention back in the days of (super)nintendo, games were cranked out like crazy, so the sheer number of games released invoked creativity.

Another factor would probably be the fact that back in the day, you didn't have online game reviews and gameplay trailers and whatnot, so every game got an equal opportunity to impress you from the start. All you had to go on was the cover art.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #13 on: 2010-04-30 06:04:29 »
Also back in the day there was no "Back in the day", to look at... I'll bet younger gamers don't even realize what they're missing.