Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837677 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)
« Reply #11750 on: 2024-03-25 04:45:13 »
Hello! I played 1.5 a few years ago and I'm trying 1.5 Arrange for the first time now, and Plasma Buster is beating my ass. Anyone have any tips?

Spoiler: show
Between the two of them I just cannot seem to heal through the damage while also killing them fast enough to not run out of resources. I thought maybe focusing the left one and hitting in the back would kill it quicker but the extra incoming damage from the counterattacks just ended up making things harder.

I took a look and it seems the majority of its attacks are %-based on the target's maximum HP. I'm unsure what a good way of getting through it without things becoming resource-intensive would be, as you'd likely need to burn a lot of Potions to deal with it. It's maybe worth trying grenades as they should deal a decent chunk of damage at that point. If you need more resource while in Reactor 5, Special Combatants drop Hi-Potions or Potions, Blood Hounds drop phoenix downs (and potions with a better rate than special combatant), and Proto-Machineguns drop Grenades. Sorry I don't have much better advice than that, 1.5's not too familiar to me by this point as a lot of time has passed.

I am having some issues with crashes at the start of some specific fights.

I am playing New Threat 2.0 with 7th Heaven.

The first instance of this crash was the fight at the elevator when the party lead swaps to Aerith
The second instance was the boss fight at the cargo ship.
The third instance was the boss fight at the Forgotten Capital.

The only reason I was able to get past these fights was because I disabled new threat > did boss fight > reenabled after save point. I'm aware this might be why I am still having crashes on the 2nd and 3rd instance but I'm not sure. I've only backed up the saves for the 2nd and 3rd instance to try fix the errors with no success.

All 3 of these crashes have been the same. As soon as the fight starts, maybe around 0.5 sec into the transition, the game will force close with no error message that I can see. I've tried disabling all my other mods and left only New Threat and keep getting the same issue.

I have updated FFnx because I thought that was the issue but get the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

(Note: I have also tried the mod using the test saves listed on the main post and get the same crashes)

I'm unsure what would be causing this; are you on Type A or Type B? Also, is this the main NT 2.0 IRO or one of the variants like the vanilla combat one?

Hello. I am enjoying the Combat Only version of this mod. But I do have some concerns that only became apparent when I peaked at the changes you made to the game in the full version, some of which carry over to the Combat Only version.

Namely, that many of the boss enemy rewards were reworked. Some final weapon and limit break items are obtained that way, but a look at the readme shows that they have been moved to field events. Another issue is Cloud's Omnislash, which was a Gold Saucer reward. One thing that wouldn't be apparent from the description of Combat Only would be that "Combat Changes" also includes changes to shops, which seems like it would include Gold Saucer. It also seems Yuffie and Red's limit breaks were moved from battle rewards to field rewards.

If it is the case that these things are rendered unobtainable, then it would make sense to at least warn a potential user about it so they can be fully informed before investing any time in that version of the mod. If you have restored the original methods of obtaining endgame gear and limits, then no worries (though I'd have personally made a note of that as well).

Even if I have to give up on this mod, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks!

I'll do a once over of it to get these things set back up; sorry for the inconvenience.

Finally getting around to checking out v2.0 (Type B), and mostly enjoying it so far. However, I've noticed that a lot of the unique versions of bosses from v1.5 have been rolled back to their original iterations! I'm glad v1.5 is still around and maintained, but I have to ask: why did these get cut? One of my favorite parts about the mod was that pretty much every major encounter got a new color scheme and a new name to go with the new AI and mechanics. Midgar didn't really have this problem because of the Type B differences, but having just finished up the Boat section, I'm seeing more and more vanilla bosses. I get keeping Type A as close to vanilla as possible, but Type B really feels like the place to let loose with the wild ideas and crazy designs.

So far, a lot of the issues I had with v1.5 have been addressed in one way or another, so in terms of raw gameplay, I'm really loving v2.0. I just wish it didn't have to come at the cost of the interesting and creative boss changes!

I wanted to go back to the original bosses for Type A and do different ones for Type B; they do have the same renovation to their attacks, AI, etc. as the 1.5 bosses do but a bit less drastic and closer to their original FF7 counterparts. Type B I could maybe expand on in the future; not all bosses were swapped out I think.

Hi, wondering if someone has an answer i haven't been able to find. Im trying to get Barretts Ulitmate weapon. As far as im aware it drops from the X-ATM thaty spawns at Corel Reactor.
I'm unable to get him to spawn where he should.  I have Barrett in my party, and I've been to the bottom of the north Crater to the save point right before the end of the story.
I figure im missing something simple, but cant figure it out.

From what I can see, the only trigger is that you're on Disc 3 and Barret is in the party, both of which you have met. Are you on the regular NT 2.0 or one of the variants like vanilla combat? It'll be disabled for those.

Hi everyone.

I have been playing through the fantastic New Threat 1.5 mod and I have encountered a bug/glitch that prevents me from progressing. It appears to be isolated to one specific cutscene camera transition where the screen just goes black and the game becomes unresponsive. It occurs twice in quick succession in the early game due to the same camera angle/position being used for 2 different cutscenes and once in the endgame (so far from what I have played) and the only way to exit the game is to close the program manually.

It first happens in disc 1 Midgar when the party is climbing the Shinra HQ building. At one point (I can't remember exactly as it was a couple weeks ago this first occurred) there is a cutscene transition where we are shown President Shinra's dialogue with someone and at first we are shown the room at a wide angle - you can see the stairs coming up to the floor, President Shinra's desk and President Shinra. Right before President Shinra starts talking, the camera transitions to several feet in front of his desk, looking head on at him and the scene continues to play out. In my recent playthrough of New Threat 1.5 when I get to this point in the game's story, the cutscene starts as normal and I see the wide view of President Shinra's office but when it fades out to transition the camera position the screen stays black and the game becomes unresponsive and unplayable. I tried removing all other mods besides NT 1.5 and still I encountered this crash.

I did some searching online and found a post from a few years ago where someone encountered the same issue and was able to bypass it by saving at the last possible point before the cutscene starts, closing the game, switching installed mod to New Threat 2.0 and resuming the game. After the cutscene plays, find the closest save point and save the game, close it, and restart one more time but with NT 1.5 installed again. This did work for me and thankfully at this point in the game there is barely any progress between these 2 save points that it had no impact on anything.

This happens twice in this sequence in the story and so I encountered it again and bypassed it using the same method as before. I hoped it wouldn't be an issue again but I just recently got to the Dark Cave in disc 3 and as I have made my way through this piece of content there is a point where I am in this room again and the camera makes this same transition. The game unfortunately crashes like in the disc 1 instances but this time switching the New Threat 2.0 isn't working completely this time. I am able to start the game with NT 2.0 and trigger the camera transition but once it has repositioned nothing happens. There is no dialogue from the NPC in front of me and I am unable to interact with them. I am not sure if that is intended or not (i don't think it is) as I haven't fully played through the Dark Cave yet. I can able to move though but can't get out of the area from anywhere, not even the way I came - I am trapped essentially lol. I did make a save in another slot before venturing in there though so luckily I am only locked out of the content it seems.

I'd really like to see this quest through to the end so if anyone has encountered something similar and have figured out a way to bypass it please reply.

If not, if there is any other way I can exit the Dark Cave area without having to load another save file I am all ears. I want my Micro-Engine and LuvLuvG!

I'll see what I can do about the Shinra Building one, that's intermittently come up in the past but I'm unsure of the cause. I think it may be related to the model listings or perhaps some corruption on the field itself that I need to try and fix.

So i had a quick question. im playing the 2.0 part b version, and trying to start the Junon League. The tipsheet says to talk to the soldiers in the league hall in Junon, but when i talk to those guys, i just get the tips and advice menu, is there some other step im missing?

The Junon League was removed in the 2.0 build, it was only in the 1.5 build.

eivarden

• View Profile
« Reply #11751 on: 2024-03-25 05:54:18 »
Playing NT 2.0 (no special version)
I picked A.
Everything started normal, then I had to save right before the boss, and shut down. Later I turned the game back on, and resumed, but instead of the usual boss, I got 3 trash mobs... I thought it was odd, but maybe this is normal in 2.0
I noticed all the monsters had a ton more HP now. And after jessie, I fought 4 more monsters. But in all of the fights, I noticed Barret couldnt target more than one monster with L1 anymore.
He was also getting stacks of defense in the back row... as if it was NT 1.5
After I got to the next save point, I double checked I got back on with 2.0, and I did. (BTW I have everything turned off except chibi models/battle models. I like most of the default stuff. oh and spell names changed)
I was on 2.0, I didnt change back to 1.5
I went to the graveyard and was fighting in shinra HQ, so it seems the game shifted me into a sort of type B, but with the intro of typa A. (I didnt have Tifa for example)
I went back to title, and started a new type A file, and this time got guard scorpion like i was meant to, and barret could L1 multi target again w/o problems.

So I have no idea how this happened, but figured id let u know.

update: went to the next reactor, and noticed the fight at the bomb placement was the same fight i encountered in the 1st reactor. so i guess its not B type, but some other mix up. also the enemies there were the same enemies i encountered as trash monsters as well.
lastly, i saved just before going into the reactor (where biggs is) and exited the game, and came back. auto run was turned off, and i couldnt access the menu.
quit the game, came back, same, but this time the menu function returned when i switched areas.
also encountered a weird battle message when i use "defend" on cloud, in one battle he would use defend, a battle message popped up saying barret gained a stack of attack each time i defended with cloud.
hasnt happened since that one battle.
« Last Edit: 2024-03-26 16:18:39 by eivarden »

Final_Figue

• View Profile
« Reply #11752 on: 2024-03-26 04:24:20 »
Hello Sega.

I have some questions and suggestions, here:

Is there a way to fix this or are there any plans to do it in the future? This happens with Chaos mod:

Would be posible to add a passage here?:

If we want only to rest, this would be more practical.

New Materia suggestion:

What about a Materia that use MP to inflict more damage when you use "attack"? Something like "MP Damage".

A new type (C)?

Any plans to add a New Type that recover the classic way of farming sources? I like the new method that you implemented but I don´t deny that I missed the classic way to find them by using morph.

That´s it. Thank you again for keep working on this mod and share your effort.
« Last Edit: Today at 13:58:00 by Final_Figue »

Honeyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11753 on: 2024-03-26 05:42:56 »
I took a look and it seems the majority of its attacks are %-based on the target's maximum HP. I'm unsure what a good way of getting through it without things becoming resource-intensive would be, as you'd likely need to burn a lot of Potions to deal with it. It's maybe worth trying grenades as they should deal a decent chunk of damage at that point. If you need more resource while in Reactor 5, Special Combatants drop Hi-Potions or Potions, Blood Hounds drop phoenix downs (and potions with a better rate than special combatant), and Proto-Machineguns drop Grenades. Sorry I don't have much better advice than that, 1.5's not too familiar to me by this point as a lot of time has passed.

I'm unsure what would be causing this; are you on Type A or Type B? Also, is this the main NT 2.0 IRO or one of the variants like the vanilla combat one?

I'll do a once over of it to get these things set back up; sorry for the inconvenience.

I wanted to go back to the original bosses for Type A and do different ones for Type B; they do have the same renovation to their attacks, AI, etc. as the 1.5 bosses do but a bit less drastic and closer to their original FF7 counterparts. Type B I could maybe expand on in the future; not all bosses were swapped out I think.

From what I can see, the only trigger is that you're on Disc 3 and Barret is in the party, both of which you have met. Are you on the regular NT 2.0 or one of the variants like vanilla combat? It'll be disabled for those.

I'll see what I can do about the Shinra Building one, that's intermittently come up in the past but I'm unsure of the cause. I think it may be related to the model listings or perhaps some corruption on the field itself that I need to try and fix.

The Junon League was removed in the 2.0 build, it was only in the 1.5 build.

Apologies I'm unsure if I am type A or B, I dont recall having the option. Its the main NT 2.0 IRO that I'm using. I've since changed my FFNx from stable to canary version and that seems to have resolved the issue. Not sure if its temporary fix or not but it seems to be ok.