Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry (v1.5)  (Read 251022 times)

falkTX

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry (v1.5)
« Reply #175 on: 2014-11-08 19:57:18 »
Linux user here.
I tried some time ago to get Tonberry working but couldn't either.

something tells me it's how the injection is made...
if the code ever goes public I'll be happy to take a look.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2014-11-08 21:05:06 »

Linux user here.
I tried some time ago to get Tonberry working but couldn't either.

something tells me it's how the injection is made...
if the code ever goes public I'll be happy to take a look.
:?

Isn't there a 'source code only' download?

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2014-11-20 15:20:07 »
This is a very noobish question, but for some reason, my version of the Steam game does not use the same folder hierarchy that it shows in the tutorial. In fact, by default, there is no Textures folder, only when you unzip the Eden mod is there one. But on my PC, there is no C:\Program Files (x86)\Final Fantasy VIII\Textures, at all. Instead, it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Final Fantasy VIII.   However, when I installed Eden and Tonberry as per instructions, the background Jpeg files were still 320 x 240 and not the smooth ones. What am I doing wrong? Did I install these incorrectly or are they not compatible with the Steam version?  I don't know why the folder hierarchy is so weird, but, no matter what I do, the updated backgrounds are not working and I can't find the original ones that were installed to replace.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2014-12-11 05:23:01 »
Some interested to contact the author of this tool?
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807472

Maybe Tonberry can implemented in it and with his experience it might be possible to have a more stable program and maybe it will be also possible to unlock the 720p max resolution.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2014-12-11 15:30:19 »
And of course my question is ignored. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2014-12-11 19:12:44 »
to the_randomizer85:
We thought you would have found out yourself.
If you download and extract tonberry.rar in final fantasy 8 folder then you'll obtain the /tonberry and /textures folders. I can't understand how you couldn't obtain those folders :-o
To have the textures upscaled you need to download the HD textures and to provide hash1map.csv with hashcodes.
Have you seen these threads?Read the first post at least.
Seed reborn
Eden
BerryMapper

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #181 on: 2014-12-11 19:15:41 »
Your question is answered in the OP.

Instructions (for players):
1. Extract Tonberry_v1.x.rar into your FF8 directory (typically 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Final Fantasy VIII')
2. Make sure to drop in the most up-to-date hash map files, from hashmap_v1.x.rar.
3. Download and place your properly formatted textures from their respective projects into the 'textures' folder (see below)
4. Install VC++ 2010 Redistributable (x86)
5. Play!
6. (Optional) If your Windows installation is not on drive C, change your prefs.txt file 'drive_letter' from C to your drive letter. If you're using textures of different sizes, change 'resize_factor' in prefs.txt.

Extract Tonberry 1.5 and Hashmap 1.3 to your game directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Final Fantasy VIII

Tonberry creates the texture folder in that directory. Now extract Eden textures into that folder. Done.

The project is still in development, so expect scenes to have errors or no new textures yet.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2014-12-11 19:21:05 »
Your question is answered in the OP.

Extract Tonberry 1.5 and Hashmap 1.3 to your game directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Final Fantasy VIII

Tonberry creates the texture folder in that directory. Now extract Eden textures into that folder. Done.

The project is still in development, so expect scenes to have errors or no new textures yet.

Okay, got it working, but uh, what exactly causes the game to show the black boxes over the HP/MP bars in-battle? I was fighting in Deling City and after I won the boss fight, victory music plays, but the game freaked out and showed a black screen. Sorry for my impatience, and sorry for the bump. Is there a section to report bugs for these mods by chance? I'd like to know why the Steam version crashed after fighting those two lizard bosses.

to the_randomizer85:
We thought you would have found out yourself.
If you download and extract tonberry.rar in final fantasy 8 folder then you'll obtain the /tonberry and /textures folders. I can't understand how you couldn't obtain those folders :-o
To have the textures upscaled you need to download the HD textures and to provide hash1map.csv with hashcodes.
Have you seen these threads?Read the first post at least.
Seed reborn
Eden
BerryMapper

Sorry for being rude  :(  I was just frustrated that the game decided to lock up on  me as I did get the mod to work, backgrounds look so much better. However, I noticed black boxes in-battle and once I fought the boss, victory music plays, but the game just hangs there. Any reason why?  All I have is Tonberry, Eden and Roses and Wine installed, no other mods, and they are installed properly, but the crash I don't understand.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11 19:23:56 by the_randomizer85 »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #183 on: 2014-12-11 22:39:50 »
Did you deactivate any STEAM overlays for this game? Like achievements etc.?

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2014-12-11 23:04:00 »
Did you deactivate any STEAM overlays for this game? Like achievements etc.?

That, I haven't done, is that the route cause of the crashing/black box graphics corruption mid-battle? If so, I'll so right away. No idea that it caused the game to crash after the boss battle. And if for some reason, it still persists?  Should I also disable the Steam Cloud Synchronization? I only really use the game on one PC. 

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #185 on: 2014-12-11 23:44:48 »
That, I haven't done, is that the route cause of the crashing/black box graphics corruption mid-battle? If so, I'll so right away. No idea that it caused the game to crash after the boss battle. And if for some reason, it still persists?  Should I also disable the Steam Cloud Synchronization? I only really use the game on one PC.

Yes, the game will crash everytime you get a new achievement if you have Tonberry and Steam overlay at the same time. Also will crash sometimes when synchronizing your saves(but not always). I recommend you to read every post on that thread because there is a lot of information, troubleshooting and in short, a lot of knowledge over here. Maybe that will help you to understand how tonberry works and why it's crashing you.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2014-12-12 00:02:35 »
Yes, the game will crash everytime you get a new achievement if you have Tonberry and Steam overlay at the same time. Also will crash sometimes when synchronizing your saves(but not always). I recommend you to read every post on that thread because there is a lot of information, troubleshooting and in short, a lot of knowledge over here. Maybe that will help you to understand how tonberry works and why it's crashing you.

Crap, now I really feel like a fool, sorry for wasting your guys' time. Will go over the thread... :-[

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #187 on: 2014-12-12 06:53:17 »
Some interested to contact the author of this tool?
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807472

Maybe Tonberry can implemented in it and with his experience it might be possible to have a more stable program and maybe it will be also possible to unlock the 720p max resolution.

Holy crap this is awesome.... I guess I should send Omzy a message about this?

klingsor

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2014-12-17 20:27:19 »
on Windows 8, the included directX files make the game crash instantly (once you press play on the launcher.)
Are the files needed, can they be replaced with a Windows 8.1/DirectX 11 friendly version?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #189 on: 2014-12-27 18:32:25 »
Omzy Update!

Hello guys - Omzy messaged me back and wanted me to share with the forum!

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey McIndus, I am positively amazed at the things you guys have been doing. It gives me a great feeling knowing that people are actually using my work and taking it seriously to make new content! I definitely have you to thank for that, for jumpstarting the Tonberry movement, and Shunsq for being brave enough to put his programming hat on to help others out.

Unfortunately, time is tight right now, even over the holidays, but I do periodically check in and read the new threads. What Shunsq needs to know is that when I made the hash codes for hash1map, which I gave him the algorithm for, I ran into some collisions for the files that were mostly black/empty that only had a few pixels or were only different by a few pixels. In order to temporarily patch that, I decided to run a second hash algorithm that is similar but uses different pixels and more pixels (like 100 instead of 64). That algorithm I hand-selected the pixels in certain regions of the images that were most likely to be different. Then I ran that and if there was a collision on the first hash from hash1map, then it would run the second hash and that value would be in hash2map. I did make special case allowances for the text files for SeeD that had different palettes and had the same hash value. Those allowances just looked at a special hand-selected pixel in the images that was different color in each and detected which file to choose.

That's what I remember. I feel like chocobo sage right now, forgetting, lol. I do know that if he digs in the source files I uploaded, he will find the algorithms for the first and second hash in there. This double hashing system needs to be completely replaced with a smarter one that has no collisions. That would solve so many problems. Fortunately, the Tonberry injector is fairly modular, so one could write a hash algorithm and implement it without too much trouble. It just takes some bravery.

Keep up the good work!
Happy Holidays!
Omzy
------------------------------------------

Thanks, guys! Information GOLD.
MCINDUS

BuzzDee

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2015-01-02 10:20:13 »
Well i finnaly managed to get the Steam Version with my mods to work... steam overlay was the reason...

BUT today i got the same error again... wasnt playing for that long and got the first Seed Mission (the one where u got to timber meet Rinoa and so on) well infront of the Garden i used the magic lamp to fight against Diabolos. Well managed to beat him got the archivement from steam and went straight to the 1st forest near the fire cave. Encounterd this big green bug (want to farm the item for quistis limit) and bam "an unkown error accured"... dunno why the message appeard again..

Maybe because i use the window mode and not playing on Fullscreen?

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2015-02-10 17:55:29 »
Hi everyone, I was PMing with Omzy about improving Tonberry and he asked me to tell you guys just in case you want to help or something. Here it goes:

While I think the directory enhancement is a good idea, the most necessary improvement lies in the hashing algorithm. That is the key to fixing all of the bugs. The way it stands Tonberry will always have bugs. You can understand this if you modify the hash algorithm to something simple like every sixteenth pixel, you will notice many more errors. If someone can sit and think hard about the best possible algorithm we will have a much better and successful Tonberry. Also if someone figures out how to avoid animation lag and incorporates that into the build. To see what directx calls are being made I used a program called PIX for Windows in case that helps.

Yes that will mean rehashing but it is as simple as running all the images through a script-- just make sure that the new algorithm is the final version so it doesn't have to be done again. If you haven't yet, refer to the pre-Tonberry thread in scripting and reverse engineering section from last year. I forgot the name of the thread but I started it.

Regarding release, I think it's a good idea to start a new thread so you can maintain it and call it something like Tonberry: Enhanced and put a link to the original.

So... Anyone interested in enhacing it's algorithm should refer to original Matthew Fisher website (look at Omzy's first post) and check the source code and... start thinking! :D

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2015-02-10 18:27:14 »
Hey guys, to add a bit more clarity, another message I sent JeMaCheHi might also be helpful:
I only wrote code in a handful of files. For the D3D9CallbackSC2 I wrote d3d9Callback.cpp/h and GlobalContext.cpp/h. ExtraCode was just unused code. For the D3D9Interceptor, I wrote d3d9Wrapper.cpp/h, Globals.cpp/h. Most all that should be needed to be modified would be in GlobalContext.cpp, I think. There you will find the hash algorithms and the logic for replacing images. It did take me a long time to understand how the directx code works, but if someone simply wants to change the way hashing works they shouldn't need to know that anyways. I think you have a good idea for bundling hash files with their mods--that would make things easier to work with and to update. The biggest thing that is needed, however, is to write new smarter hash algorithms that don't suffer from collisions. This may fix many problems and if more research is done, may decrease problems with animation lag. To compile the code you'll need Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express (which is free). I believe you can just open the vcxproj file and then build the DLL. You might have to mess with some configuration, but hopefully it is already configured with the libraries and paths. I remember it being a pain in the ass to do the setup but you might not have to do all that since I sent out the vcxproj file.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2015-02-10 18:46:57 »
Hey guys, to add a bit more clarity, another message I sent JeMaCheHi might also be helpful:

Oh yes, that will be more than welcome, I forgot to paste that one too...  :-[
Well, hope someone help with the hashing :)

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2015-02-10 19:08:23 »

Demigod0502

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2015-05-27 21:21:39 »
I'm having a problem running Tonberry. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I am very impressed with all the hard work and graphic/coding-intense labor that I can see, I just want to experience it real time XD. I have been trying to reorganize the folders to see if i can get it to work, but with no success.

What I have right now is:

Tonberry:
Hashmap folder
Objmap folder
collisions.csv

Hashmap folder:
hash1map
hash2map

Objmap folder:
objfile

Textures:
all mods folders

I just tried to re-install tonberry but no success

Asker ツ

• During together we can do all job ! ツ
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.0 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #196 on: 2015-06-02 08:04:39 »
This occurs because the fractal method doesn't deal with edges well. If part of the texture has an edge that is next to blackness, the edge warps very slightly if you look closely. That's why it becomes so labor intensive and difficult without automation. You have to combine each sub-texture together to make all the different permutations of the fullscreen image and then slice each subtexture back out of the resized versions. I am running out of time because I have a big exam next month, so I'm going to try to start and finish Project Eden by the end of next week. An optimistic deadline, I know  :-X

Edit:Yes, but only once support is added. There are a couple problems with that right now, as you'll see in these images:

The left is the original and the right 2 are from Magochocobo. Notice that his mapping is very different than what's in the game's memory. These textures will need to be remapped to the appropriate sections to match the picture on the left. Also note that the size of the left image is 128x128. A 4x resize would be 512x512, not 1024x1024 like most other textures. This will also need to be changed. If all that is fixed and after support has been built in there's no reason it wouldn't work.

How to get that ?

bobbythejobby

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2017-08-24 21:34:33 »
My FF8 launcher work fine. But when i try to run it with Tornberry enhanced i get teh following error.  "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). ClickOK to close the application. If I remove Tonberry the launcher work fine again. Can anyone help me out? Really want to play ff8 again with better textures

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #198 on: 2017-08-24 23:47:05 »
Hey - you posted in the old tonberry thread, so i hope you're not using it.  the new one is 'tonberry: enhanced'.

Also - try downloading the directx9c runtimes - you're probably on windows 10

bobbythejobby

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2017-08-24 23:53:30 »
I was using the latest tonberry enhanced. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate sp1 64 bit. I tried installng the visual basic packages (both x86 and x64), tried updating all versions of direct x (9,10&11) updated to latest version of .net framework. But none of that helped. I did fix it though by reverting back to tonberry enhanced 2.01 ( I just kept going back a version to I found one that worked and the first one which worked was v2.01) Really weird but oh well alls well that ends well. Got the menu mod,char, enemy and boss upscales working and looking good, Will download the big 1gb field textures one when my internet allowance gets reset again on the 1st of september