Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4893522 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8800 on: 2019-12-07 22:05:57 »
Are there any plans to update the documentation for the mod? I've had a big headache today because I was trying to learn the now non-existent Magnitude8 from the Gaea Dragon as per the documentation... Only to realize it was changed to Time Flare after googling it... Only to realize an hour later it was, yet again, changed to Dragon Force and not even available from Gaea Dragon as it was immune to Manipulation. Not fun times. :p

I think there's a link to a more up to date version on the front page; the files in the download itself are old though.

Hey! New to this forum, made an account just to post here;

Great mod! Definitely spruces up the game and gives it enough freshness to last a while :D
Downloaded it and started my first play-trough, currently I am before Gongaga but after the Desert Prison, sitting in the battle square and trying to get myself some of those sweet accessories.. but there is a problem that I ran into, The game either bugged out and keeps giving me slots that are impossible to win or the mod is trying to prevent me from getting too powerful too early.

To elaborate a bit more, each time I enter the Arena, the first series of slots will all be the "Break Magic Materia", next one will all be "Break Accessory" after which will come all "Disable Items", then all "Poison", then all "Minimize" etc.
My question is, is this mean to be some sort of a block to stop people from abusing Reflect Ring&Cursed Ring too early? Is this A bug?
My game is the Steam version, NT was installed directly with no other mods, on a fresh copy of the game.

The reels come in 'sets' that are supposed to be randomly chosen but the RNG in some cases can repeat if the game is reloaded from a save file (as it's a hard reload). Are you closing the client and then reloading the save when you see that particular reel set? Try going in, then escaping, then going in again. That should get you past that reel set.

jdhayward

• View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: 2019-12-10 00:32:39 »
How do you beat the sub bosses in the northern cave? Getting my arse whooped repeatedly.

Just want to be able to access the new end game stuff!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: 2019-12-10 13:17:02 »
How do you beat the sub bosses in the northern cave? Getting my arse whooped repeatedly.

Just want to be able to access the new end game stuff!

Spoiler: show

So there are three routes which means 3 bosses. To reach the bottom and unlock the Disc 3 stuff, you only need to beat one. You can also teleport back out once you're at the bottom, so the left-down path isn't mandatory for exiting like in default. To make things easier, set Random Encounters to Off at a save point so you can quickly traverse the place.

The bosses are:
Left-Down: Tyrant
Left-Up: Protoroth
Right: Abyss

Tyrant is weak to Earth and while he starts off relatively weaker he gets stronger at the end of each attack cycle before 'enraging' and gaining a significant buff. The trick to that one is to go hard early to take full advantage of his lowered defences early in the fight. Establishing a speed advantage can help a lot using Haste/Slow, and having a super solid tank is a good idea as he has a lot of single-target physical attacks. I've an unlisted video of a team fighting him which may be useful for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu_nvU3lpgw&feature=youtu.be

Protoroth can be a bit awkward because both halves are aspected to physical/magical attacks and will become stronger when hit by the type they are weak against. There's also a kamikaze ability to watch out for if the Magic side is destroyed. Both sides are weak to Holy, so get that equipped onto weapons and come in with Planet Materia leveled to make use of the new Pearl spell. You can bypass their buff to an extent using Counter Materia as these won't trigger it.

Abyss is essentially a Malboro so there are a lot of status ailments flying around. I think you can get it to waste turns casting Esuna on itself if you inflict statuses on it so try using Bad Breath or similar. This one is also weak to Holy, so tee up on that element. Wind, Water, and Poison were elements that it uses I think, as well as Shout; you can block Shout by combining a Bahamut Summon with Elemental Materia.

I can provide more detailed info when I get home if that doesn't help.

jdhayward

• View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: 2019-12-10 20:48:07 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Thanks for the help.

I actually managed to beat Tyrant not long after posting!

I'm now going through and beating all the 'New Threats' and getting ultimate weapons.

Is there something up with steal? I've been trying to steal from armoured golems in the northern cave and even after trying 20+ times I cant steal anything.

Thanks.

Karsh Highwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: 2019-12-10 21:25:25 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Thanks for the help.

I actually managed to beat Tyrant not long after posting!

I'm now going through and beating all the 'New Threats' and getting ultimate weapons.

Is there something up with steal? I've been trying to steal from armoured golems in the northern cave and even after trying 20+ times I cant steal anything.

Thanks.

For stealing, do you have the Sneak Glove equipped? If not, stealing stuff from the North Crater is practically impossible to do. If you need the Sneak Glove, it's in the same place as it is from the base game (You need the Sector 5 Key from Bone Village and 127k Gil).

Hope that helps!

EmperorZerbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8805 on: 2019-12-15 13:03:10 »
Hey Sega Chief,

I noticed something regarding materia layout during the Wutai side mission, I thought it might be useful to know.

In my play-through, which was on the July 5th release, Some of the
Spoiler: show
materia wasn't removed when yuffie leaves the party
. It seemed random which materia stayed and which materia remained exactly where I placed it before the encounter. If this was intended, cool, but if it wasn't I figure you'd like to know.

I uploaded a couple of screenshots that give a visual of what happened on my end here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v9qAfs_WIGM04wQnArKpqJUCpRK_2M9r?usp=sharing

Thanks for the mod and all the work you still do on it, this is so cool!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: 2019-12-15 16:28:46 »
There's a limit to what she can take; what she leaves behind is determined by a static list of Materia by ID and I think AP factors in. I think Summon Materia were top priority, and Cover was surprisingly high as well. Usually what gets left behind is some standard elemental Materia.

Shampignon

• View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: 2019-12-15 22:52:34 »
Hello,
I'm about to complete this amazing mod (thanks Sega Chief for your work) but I don't find Ozma...I played the piano in Shinra Mansion, I get the message "something has escaped" but I don't see where he is. Can someone help me please?

I have a suggestion for an ultimate quest : launch all the fights of the game in a row. Satsuki Yatoshi did this, you can ask him how he scripted this if you're interested ;-)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: 2019-12-16 08:45:29 »
Hello,
I'm about to complete this amazing mod (thanks Sega Chief for your work) but I don't find Ozma...I played the piano in Shinra Mansion, I get the message "something has escaped" but I don't see where he is. Can someone help me please?

I have a suggestion for an ultimate quest : launch all the fights of the game in a row. Satsuki Yatoshi did this, you can ask him how he scripted this if you're interested ;-)

After playing the piano, it should be encountered in the Nibel Reactor.

A battle rush isn't overly complicated, you just set the Next Battle flag in the formation so that they activate in a chain. Karifean's mod (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14937.0) does it this way, with the addition of a menu to select specific fights to start from + scales and adjusts the bosses to match an end-game party. I think that would be the right approach for it as it's not worthwhile to fight older bosses with an end-game party without adjustment; they'd go through the majority of them without any trouble.

Shampignon

• View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: 2019-12-16 12:16:45 »
After playing the piano, it should be encountered in the Nibel Reactor.

Ok, I didn't think it was like Zangan. Thank you for your answer, I can't wait to see it !

A battle rush isn't overly complicated, you just set the Next Battle flag in the formation so that they activate in a chain. Karifean's mod (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14937.0) does it this way, with the addition of a menu to select specific fights to start from + scales and adjusts the bosses to match an end-game party. I think that would be the right approach for it as it's not worthwhile to fight older bosses with an end-game party without adjustment; they'd go through the majority of them without any trouble.

I didn't know this mod, it's a good idea.
But I think the real challenge in the Satsuki's version is not really the difficulty, but the endurance it takes to make 700 fights in a row!  :-D

I have a message for those who say that the documentation is not update, or who say they don't find an item, a materia or an enemy skill : you should use Wall Market, Hojo and Proud Cloud softwares. You will find all informations about magic, enemy skill, states, enemy's weaknesses, enemy's attacks, what they drop, how they transform and what they have to steal. I made this and it's very very usefull ! ;)
« Last Edit: 2019-12-16 12:27:32 by Shampignon »

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: 2019-12-19 07:42:13 »
A few questions about SP and levels:

1) Does everyone in the active party get the same amount of SP?

2) Do characters in the non-active party still get SP as well?

3) Will characters that join later have multiple rank ups ready to go?

4) Since stats come from the SP system, are character levels irrelevant?
« Last Edit: 2019-12-19 07:58:35 by Fauve »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: 2019-12-19 08:28:04 »
A few questions about SP and levels:

1) Does everyone in the active party get the same amount of SP?

2) Do characters in the non-active party still get SP as well?

3) Will characters that join later have multiple rank ups ready to go?

4) Since stats come from the SP system, are character levels irrelevant?

When you touch a save point, SP accumulated to that point is allocated to the active party. Other characters not in the party get half. Characters that join later in the game have 1-3 ranks 'free' to catch them up. Level affects damage dealt, HP/MP, and steal/manip success rate. It also affects magic accuracy but there has to be a wide gulf between character and enemy level for it to really matter.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: 2019-12-20 04:01:44 »
When you touch a save point, SP accumulated to that point is allocated to the active party. Other characters not in the party get half. Characters that join later in the game have 1-3 ranks 'free' to catch them up. Level affects damage dealt, HP/MP, and steal/manip success rate. It also affects magic accuracy but there has to be a wide gulf between character and enemy level for it to really matter.
Sweet thanks. Do bosses also reward SP? Or just normal encounters?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: 2019-12-20 11:08:45 »
Sweet thanks. Do bosses also reward SP? Or just normal encounters?

I think so

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: 2019-12-21 06:42:37 »
I’m really loving the physical stat boosts from summons. I also have some questions in regards to the Elemental Materia:

1) What does leveling up the Elemental materia do exactly?

2) Can multiple Elemental materias stack? For example, if I equip Ifrit+Elemental and Shiva+Elemental on Cloud’s sword, will all his attacks have both Fire and Ice properties?
« Last Edit: 2019-12-21 06:55:45 by Fauve »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: 2019-12-21 16:23:18 »
I’m really loving the physical stat boosts from summons. I also have some questions in regards to the Elemental Materia:

1) What does leveling up the Elemental materia do exactly?

2) Can multiple Elemental materias stack? For example, if I equip Ifrit+Elemental and Shiva+Elemental on Cloud’s sword, will all his attacks have both Fire and Ice properties?

Elemental, in the Armour, does this for each level:
1 Star: Halves elemental damage of the paired Materia's element
2 Star: Nullifies elemental damage of the paired Materia's element
3 Star: Absorbs elemental damage of the paired Materia's element
4 Star: No additional effect (Master)

Unfortunately stars have no bearing on the weapon, so a 1-star elemental in the weapon has the same effect as a 4-star in the weapon; it adds the paired Mareria's element to your physical attacks (does not affect Limit Breaks as these are like a 'spell' with their own attack data).

You can, however, stack Elemental Materia in a weapon. So if you had Ifrit + Elemental and Shiva + Elemental your attacks will have both Ice and Fire properties. Bear in mind though that resistance overrides weakness; if the enemy Nulls Fire but is weak to Ice, then your attack will deal 0 damage. Even worse, if an enemy Absorbs Fire but is weak to Ice then they'll not only absorb the attack but absorb it for 2x what they normally would.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: 2019-12-22 03:56:48 »
Elemental, in the Armour, does this for each level:
1 Star: Halves elemental damage of the paired Materia's element
2 Star: Nullifies elemental damage of the paired Materia's element
3 Star: Absorbs elemental damage of the paired Materia's element
4 Star: No additional effect (Master)

Unfortunately stars have no bearing on the weapon, so a 1-star elemental in the weapon has the same effect as a 4-star in the weapon; it adds the paired Mareria's element to your physical attacks (does not affect Limit Breaks as these are like a 'spell' with their own attack data).

You can, however, stack Elemental Materia in a weapon. So if you had Ifrit + Elemental and Shiva + Elemental your attacks will have both Ice and Fire properties. Bear in mind though that resistance overrides weakness; if the enemy Nulls Fire but is weak to Ice, then your attack will deal 0 damage. Even worse, if an enemy Absorbs Fire but is weak to Ice then they'll not only absorb the attack but absorb it for 2x what they normally would.
Ah gotcha. So stacking a bunch of elements on a weapon may not always be the best idea. Thanks for all the info.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: 2019-12-22 07:04:48 »
A few questions about Cover.

1) Does the Defend command still appy for a character that’s covering a party member?

2) Does Yuffie’s evasion boost from Perfect Dodge still apply with when she covering someone?
« Last Edit: 2019-12-22 07:07:56 by Fauve »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: 2019-12-22 12:41:32 »
A few questions about Cover.

1) Does the Defend command still appy for a character that’s covering a party member?

2) Does Yuffie’s evasion boost from Perfect Dodge still apply with when she covering someone?

If the character using Cover is Defending then yes. But the character being Covered does not pass their Defend status to the Coverer.

I don't think it does, as Cover nullifies standard evasion. However, it's possible to dodge a physical attack while Covering through the Luck stat. When an attack is made, there is a Luck/4 chance given to the attacker to land an automatic critical hit. If this doesn't pass, the target then rolls Luck/4 for an automatic dodge (known as Lucky Dodge). If this Lucky Dodge roll is made while Covering, you'll dodge the attack.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: 2019-12-24 05:58:56 »
So were Limit Breaks buffed a lot? Tifa just destroyed Palmer with a 12K damage slots combo. And earlier, Cloud hit the Cave of Gi boss for a whooping 7.3K damage Climhazard. And Cloud was only Rank 2 at the time with 118 STR.

HautSaus

• View Profile
« Reply #8820 on: 2019-12-24 06:22:04 »
I noticed some weirdness with the white chocobo in Mideel on disc 3. When I picked the 3rd option to scratch it's neck or whichever one made it angry, it hopped over Cid's head and the game soft locked. Also, the first option results in kind of a confusing response.

stupidstatusbs

« Reply #8821 on: 2019-12-24 08:53:12 »
Thought this mod was cool but OP is a bad person. I just spent 4 hours at the battle arena in the middle of the night with only 60 gp on disc 1 because I COULDNT GET FREE GP FROM MOG HOUSE and the other games werent awarding gp fast enough for me. I won the first round and got 11k battle points. I then proceeded to lose 3 rounds to status lock(theres a round where theres 2 mps who inflict stop and a robot who inflicts sleep and they all use magic attacks for some god awful stupid reason) only win 3k bps in 1 round and then ran out of ferning healing items and couldnt leave the battle arena, so of course with no remedys or echo drops left I get silenced in round 1 of my last attempt while wearing a touph ring.  GIVE ME MY CIRCLET! I STAYED UP ALL NIGHT FOR IT! I EARNED IT YOU F@!$%^! ALSO REMOVE ALL THE STATUS SPAM AT ONCE! ITS  INFURIATING! I was waking up my neighbors screaming at 3 am at how often the status procs were happening in the battle arena. Im not coming back to this site, just had to let mod author know I want to punch him in the face right now for this multiple hour 15.7k bp BULLSHIT! RESPECT PEOPLE's TIME d*ck! MAYBE DONT PUT CONSTANT STATUS EFFECTS IN A MODE WHERE YOU CAN LOSE YOUR ITEMS AND MAGIC randomly! WHY WAS I ALWAYS LOSING ALL MY MP RIGHT BEFORE THE STATUS SPAMMING ROUND? WHY WERENT THE MOBS ROTATING? YOU ferning RIGGED IT! fern you apricothole. Was enjoying the mod til you pulled this stupid sadistic bullshit you fuckstick. Now it's uninstalled and I'm making sure people know this mod is rng-infested cheating trash. I hope your christmas is awful for this. Ruining my christmas eve with your bs.
« Last Edit: 2019-12-24 09:07:24 by stupidstatusbs »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: 2019-12-24 09:27:34 »
So were Limit Breaks buffed a lot? Tifa just destroyed Palmer with a 12K damage slots combo. And earlier, Cloud hit the Cave of Gi boss for a whooping 7.3K damage Climhazard. And Cloud was only Rank 2 at the time with 118 STR.

That seems uncommonly high, Limits weren't overly buffed from what I remember. Even if the 7.3k was a crit, 3.5k still seems high.

I noticed some weirdness with the white chocobo in Mideel on disc 3. When I picked the 3rd option to scratch it's neck or whichever one made it angry, it hopped over Cid's head and the game soft locked. Also, the first option results in kind of a confusing response.

I'm guessing it's the one after Mideel is destroyed? I think I had to add handling for Tifa and Cid for that one because it's ordinarily Cloud only. Something must have been missed logically.

Thought this mod was cool but OP is a bad person. I just spent 4 hours at the battle arena in the middle of the night with only 60 gp on disc 1 because I COULDNT GET FREE GP FROM MOG HOUSE and the other games werent awarding gp fast enough for me. I won the first round and got 11k battle points. I then proceeded to lose 3 rounds to status lock(theres a round where theres 2 mps who inflict stop and a robot who inflicts sleep and they all use magic attacks for some god awful stupid reason) only win 3k bps in 1 round and then ran out of ferning healing items and couldnt leave the battle arena, so of course with no remedys or echo drops left I get silenced in round 1 of my last attempt while wearing a touph ring.  GIVE ME MY CIRCLET! I STAYED UP ALL NIGHT FOR IT! I EARNED IT YOU F@!$%^! ALSO REMOVE ALL THE STATUS SPAM AT ONCE! ITS  INFURIATING! I was waking up my neighbors screaming at 3 am at how often the status procs were happening in the battle arena. Im not coming back to this site, just had to let mod author know I want to punch him in the face right now for this multiple hour 15.7k bp BULLSHIT! RESPECT PEOPLE's TIME d*ck! MAYBE DONT PUT CONSTANT STATUS EFFECTS IN A MODE WHERE YOU CAN LOSE YOUR ITEMS AND MAGIC randomly! WHY WAS I ALWAYS LOSING ALL MY MP RIGHT BEFORE THE STATUS SPAMMING ROUND? WHY WERENT THE MOBS ROTATING? YOU ferning RIGGED IT! fern you apricothole. Was enjoying the mod til you pulled this stupid sadistic bullshit you fuckstick. Now it's uninstalled and I'm making sure people know this mod is rng-infested cheating trash. I hope your christmas is awful for this. Ruining my christmas eve with your bs.

I don't think it's good to let yourself get into that kind of state over it; the Battle Square has always had RNG baked into it from the reels. To help offset the RNG in Battle Square, the three sets of enemies (pre-Bronco, Bronco acquired, and Highwind acquired) are the same eight battles each time to help players prep for consistent runs; if an enemy hits you with a certain status, you can equip against that and expect it to turn up on the next run instead of a different enemy that uses different attacks; this was a problem in the Hardcore mod where the enemy sets were still random but hitting much harder, making consistent prep very difficult.

The BP situation is the same as vanilla in that it resets when leaving, but I could look into changing this so that it's stored permanently, that would prevent players coming short on the BP needed for certain items due to running out of GP or recovery items. The BP won is also dependent on the reels, but varies wildly. I could make it so that it checks for the total BP yield and then adjust it up to a base minimum that isn't too far behind the high yield reels.

Earning GP tends to take time unless you've got your own Chocobo for the races and have been doing them for breeding/S-Rank special prize or are fairly consistent with the basketball minigame. The Mog minigame gives 20GP or so but it's a one-off, even in the default game so not really useful long-term. The NPC that sells GP was scripted to always show up as well (once he's available) which costs gil but that can be obtained a lot faster on Disc 3 using the left-up path Magic Pots/Movers to farm up All Materia, with the pots asking for Ethers instead of Elixirs.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: 2019-12-24 11:40:15 »
Dude take a chill pill. And you realize what you complain about is in vanilla right?

Karsh Highwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: 2019-12-24 20:05:30 »

It's unfortunate that you had that experience, and judging from your post, you'll likely never come back to read this.

In the event you do or there are others stuck at the Battle Square, not much has changed in the Battle Square compared to the base game. What has changed is being required to actually think an encounter through and not just brute force it by holding down the confirm button and just killing things mindlessly with little effort.

You are given multiple tools to deal with this encounter, even as early as disc 1. You can put some gear on to prevent the more annoying status effects, you can use things like slow-all to give you an edge, haste yourself, use regen if you grind enough AP that early, etc. You can also rely on certain summons to wipe the floor with specific enemy sets (Titan comes to mind with instant petrify), guaranteeing they die upon cast or inflict them with the same ailments  on you.

On your armor you can equip the added effect materia to begin nullifying certain status effect such as Time Magic which makes stop miss all together and there are plenty more options out there, not going to go into all the details.

Here's hoping once you cool off and look back at this, you'll realize it's only one man, with a vision, and he can't satisfy everyone, but has clearly satisfied nearly an entire generation that grew up playing the awfully easy original.