Author Topic: Best solution right now for windows 8 users  (Read 16149 times)

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
Best solution right now for windows 8 users
« on: 2015-03-24 06:02:42 »
If you are stuck with windows 8 you may or may not have noticed the mods and tools don't function right.  Thanks to Zara9 who brought this to program to my attention you can use Virtualbox to emulate windows 7 or which ever one that it fully supported the original game.  You'll want 3d acceleration to make the game run and you'll need to obtain and iso for the needed installation of the operating system.  I have tested this myself and it runs good.  Also you'll need to get the latest net framework for it in the emulator itself.  If you need help on something just pm me.

Shard

• View Profile
Re: Best solution right now for windows 8 users
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-24 07:09:44 »
Which game/mods/tools are you talking about? I can run FF7 and FF8 on Windows 8 just fine, plus all the tools and mods I'm using. Emulating windows 7 takes up an enormous amount of memory, and will probably only make the games run more slowly.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-24 07:39:46 »
The models won't import right with Makou reactor.  Cloud stays Cloud and also many others.  Plus windows 8 has a nasty habit of not letting you run FF7 after awhile.  I've had it work for a few hours or days but then all of a sudden it closes out on you after that.  This isn't the first time either plus I stated before that the items I put in there that have not caused problems on windows 7 makes you get a game over screen and other people have reported this.  This is a major concern as some mods probably a big number of them may have similar or worse issues.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-25 00:30:14 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:23:06 by dkma841 »

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-25 00:38:25 »
Yeap and other people have had the same issues on other games.  Windows 8 is not a great system at all even my parent's haven't upgraded.  This is targeted though for those with similar problems.  If you found a way to make it work seamlessly for you for the most part then awesome.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-25 01:32:48 »
Maybe it's fixed in 8.1?  ???
Windows 8 is not a great system at all
Well, it's nearly the same as Win7 but with many internal and external enhancements.
It got hated simply because of the additional nearly optional and completely unnecessary UI, which is ridiculous, but may make sense if you think about some IT journalist lobbies and what's behind them. :-X
« Last Edit: 2015-03-25 01:39:43 by Artema »

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-25 01:51:11 »
I switched some of them back to windows 7 check box so we'll see how long that lasts.  If it doesn't fix certain issues then the Virtualbox is the way to go.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-25 09:53:46 »
internal and external enhancements

So they 'enhanced' the Ad-hoc network option away?  ???

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-25 22:29:31 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:22:44 by dkma841 »

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-03-25 23:41:09 »
I'm about to switch the computer to 7 after I get done with the mod and get something to back my stuff up with.

Update: Yeah even with compat mode the tools doesn't work right.  So after I get this mod done and posted going to switch this thing to windows 7.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-26 07:18:03 by genesis063 »

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-03-27 23:52:25 »
hey guys

my display driver crashed on me today while i was streaming kingdom hearts 2 today

do you think thats a windows 8 issue problem

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-03-28 05:45:52 »
Could be I swear now windows 8.1 is disconnecting internet on me for no apparent reason.  All my other devices are set up fine.  When it happens I have to unplug everything and plug them in again.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-03-30 15:09:26 »
So they 'enhanced' the Ad-hoc network option away?  ???
I can't check this right now, but I bet it was simply unnecesarily moved from its prior placement.
OK, a simple search in google revealed I am right: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set-up-wireless-ad-hoc-internet-connection-in-windows-8/

hey guys

my display driver crashed on me today while i was streaming kingdom hearts 2 today

do you think thats a windows 8 issue problem
No. That's probably a problem with your GPU video driver, and most likely an OutOfMemory GPU crash.
Of course, it could be caused by PCSX2 if that's what you were using to play KH2 on your computer.

Could be I swear now windows 8.1 is disconnecting internet on me for no apparent reason.  All my other devices are set up fine.  When it happens I have to unplug everything and plug them in again.
Now, this is interesting. I've never heard of something like this before.
Is that Wi-Fi or direct connection? Is your router updated regularly?

I can't believe people go so far as to blame Windows itself when there are many other factors to examine first.
Most of the time, problems come from third party software components.
And the worst case is when the problem is caused by the user itself, either directly or by being kind of ignorant.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-03-30 15:30:16 »
I had a Windows update once that disabled all my networking completely. Now I only let them install required security updates, and I never try any betas or RCs.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-03-30 19:28:41 »
I had a Windows update once that disabled all my networking completely. Now I only let them install required security updates, and I never try any betas or RCs.
What version of Windows was that?  ???
But yeah, even though rare, sometimes things get broken with rushed updates. You are not the only one, sadly. :(

EDIT: Did any of you successfully run FF7 or FF8 with and without mods on an updated Windows 8.1 system?
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30 19:36:02 by Artema »

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-03-30 20:21:08 »
I do nothing with the routers and such.  My ipod will be connected and my ps4 as well yet windows 8.1 will go down a couple of times in a day now.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-03-30 21:19:55 »
I do nothing with the routers and such.  My ipod will be connected and my ps4 as well yet windows 8.1 will go down a couple of times in a day now.
It is hard to come to a fix if you don't provide any relevant information.
With the little information provided by you, I can only recommend you to search for Windows updates, or update your system if there is any update still pending.

Is your Windows 8.1 system connected to the internet through Wi-Fi or directly?
What software have you installed recently?
Did you accidentally modify any settings related to your internet connection?
Maybe I or someone else can help you if you answer those simple questions.

I have not encountered any such issues, really, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having them, except you, and maybe Shard (if he/she can confirm it was on Windows 8.1 too).
I haven't met any problem with either FF7 or FF8. It could very well be a bug with some third party mod or tool. Have you tried running them with Administrator rights?

As I said I constantly encounter users rapidly blaming Windows (any version) and after some time then finding out the culprit was some other installed software or even the user itself.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-03-30 21:43:27 »
Tools do not work right as the field model changes in flevel will not show up but scripting will.  The iro will not package everything right in 7H Heaven.  When I worked from windows 7 using Virtualbox these issues do not occur and everything runs as it should.  Those are the only ones I have come across right now.
1. Wi-Fi
2. nothing other then what is needed to use tools
3. I have not changed anything

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-03-30 22:55:09 »
I see.
Can you confirm to me that those errors happen even with Administrator rights? (right-click->Run as Administrator).

If so, then it is a 7th Heaven bug under Windows 8.1 but not a Windows 8.1 bug for 7th Heaven (subtle difference, isn't it?).
In that case you should contact the developer of said program to fix whatever incompatibilities lie on the source-code by providing the relevant information that might be requested to you.

EDIT: I found this
7H has problems to load more than one subscription at the start and only displays the mods of the last subscription. After letting it check all the subscriptions it loads all mods of the subscriptions in the catalog.
It might be related to your problem?

If you are using Wi-Fi, is it protected with a password?
If the old password has changed, and you have not set the new one on your side... (nah, that would be too obvious).
If that's not the case, you will have to give more information regarding your Wi-Fi settings. Though that's a bit off-topic here, isn't it?
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30 22:58:55 by Artema »

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2015-03-30 23:16:31 »
It would make sense if it only extended to mods and tools but it has been stated by other people and more Tec savvy people that not all programs that run on windows 7 will run on windows 8.  Other people from business have said stuff that ran fine on windows 7 does not run on windows 8.

Edit and yes I have admin on and compatibility on.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30 23:18:21 by genesis063 »

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-03-31 02:55:35 »
It would make sense if it only extended to mods and tools but it has been stated by other people and more Tec savvy people that not all programs that run on windows 7 will run on windows 8.  Other people from business have said stuff that ran fine on windows 7 does not run on windows 8.
What you say would make sense if it were not the case that such issues only happen to a certain few people and not every user.
There must be something else specific to this case.
By the way, I am one of those savvy people, and of course not always all programs that run on WinY will run on WinX. It happens with every release.
But overtime (mostly even before WinX release) third party software gets updated to support the new Windows release.
Anyway that's usually just a tiny fraction of software, and the even more tiny fraction of software that doesn't get updated... the company behind won't usually accept its blame.

This is not a case of "it crashes at start-up" or "it doesn't run properly", it is a case of just some few people having problems with
some third party software that most other people run without any problem at all in the same OS.

Look, I am telling you all this because I have plenty experience with this kind of problems.
In this case it's just hard to fix a problem when you can't experience it or there is not enough information or can't access the affected system.

Sorry I could not be of more help. Good luck, or simply go back to Windows 7 which is a great OS and a perfectly valid option too. :-)  For now...

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2015-03-31 07:01:09 »
I hope windows 10 brings back the compatibility but if not may just have to use virtualbox as I cannot get the iso I got to work even when I follow all steps.  I can play ff7 with mods fine that are not used on windows 8 so I'll be doing my editing in virtualbox and playing regular after.

ProtoX

« Reply #22 on: 2015-03-31 16:25:40 »
i have windows 8.1 and the only issue with gaming is only with Megaman X4 being slow in full screen. ff7 pc with and without mods i havent had any issues with so far

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-03-31 16:35:13 »
FF7 works fine. The issues come in many older modding tools. Most of them could probably be updated to work correctly, but probably won't be.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-03-31 17:57:44 »
Like I said currently makou will not support the model portion.  I would have to edit every field by hand again.