Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 718857 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Bug in Wall Market :)
« Reply #1025 on: 2013-01-16 01:58:39 »
Hey first of all thx for wall market its an awesome tool. However I wanted to report a slight bug in it, well its rather a mistake. The physical
damage formula does not display correctly. When editing spells I thought the physical formula was not accesible because it says:

[MATH]

I'm aware of these typos. I'm also well aware of math (I am a math major). I also won't simplify anything because that's the order that the game processes these values at. I'm also not entirely concerned because the next and final WM will allow the user-customization of what is displayed in these boxes. If you want to simplify them, that's fine.

Besides, your function is wrong. Strength is part of the atk value. You're thinking attack power, which in most cases involving player characters just factors out to 1. Exceptions being Limit Breaks and maybe one or two E.Skills.

meesbaker

• View Profile
Re: [Release v1.4.5] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #1026 on: 2013-01-16 02:45:58 »
"Besides, your function is wrong. Strength is part of the atk value. You're thinking attack power, which in most cases involving player characters just factors out to 1. Exceptions being Limit Breaks and maybe one or two E.Skills."

??? Whered you get this from ? All damage formulas start with this factor :   (a/16)*... with a being the attacks specific damage constant. On the standard physical attacks this factors 1 because those attacks have power 16 but every attack has an own constant not just a few. All spells , limit breaks , summons multipliers work that way. I called it strength cuz it was called that way in Wallmarket. You created the program you know all that dont you?

So my formula is perfectly right :
damage = (a/16) * (b+(b+c)/32 *b*c/32) where a is the dmg constant of your attack, b the variable you input either attack or magic attack into and c being your level. I just called a strength in my last post.

Your not concerned? Neither am I all I wanted was telling you in case you did not know. You cant imagine how much Im looking forward to messing with these formulas great news that is :))

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1027 on: 2013-01-16 03:45:27 »
??? Whered you get this from ? All damage formulas start with this factor :   (a/16)*... with a being the attacks specific damage constant. On the standard physical attacks this factors 1 because those attacks have power 16 but every attack has an own constant not just a few. All spells , limit breaks , summons multipliers work that way. I called it strength cuz it was called that way in Wallmarket. You created the program you know all that dont you?

So my formula is perfectly right :
damage = (a/16) * (b+(b+c)/32 *b*c/32) where a is the dmg constant of your attack, b the variable you input either attack or magic attack into and c being your level. I just called a strength in my last post.

Your not concerned? Neither am I all I wanted was telling you in case you did not know. You cant imagine how much Im looking forward to messing with these formulas great news that is :))

That formula doesn't apply to any used magic attack. Not to say it couldn't, it just doesn't.

But like I said: typos. It shouldn't be labeled or thought of as strength as that is a different aspect of the damage calculation.

And don't get your expectations up too high. You'll only be able to change how WM displays those functions, not how they'll function in-game. If you want to call formula X1 "insta-death physical attack" then that's how it'll show it in WM. It won't actually make it an insta-death attack.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: 2013-01-16 04:00:59 »
Of course not :D Magical attacks use the magic formula but the beginning is the same, how much times base damage is contained in a constant that holds 16 times that amount. Physical attacks use it however and the only one I know of with constant 16 is the normal attack all limit breaks are different. I was talking about magic as I wanna use this formula for the top spells. And as those have different dmg constants than simply 16 this a/16 is important.

Im aware the strength stat is different but ok we have that now :) I also did not blame the formula in wall market to be wrong because it says strength/16 in it I found it ok to call an attacks dmg constant strength. I reported cuz no matter what way the variable names are interpreted the formula displayed in WM is false. Mathematically I mean.

stavstav

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: 2013-02-28 08:50:50 »
yes, hello and greetings  :)

just replayed ff7 this time on pc, played the psx version as a kid.  yeah the pc version with a couple patches applied, is much better.  well, this game has probably my favorite battle system of any game, always been a fan of the turn based system where there is actually some strategy involved instead of just mashing on a button like a re-tard

i would have to say that your editors are awesome, im definitely donating, f-ing great work man.

always been a few things i thought needed changing in this game and your programs allow me to do that.  basically the combat is way too easy and everything dies in one hit so i was able to edit the weapons.... and change the rediculous ultimate weapons.  awesome man.  haha its funny, i did not know the weapons gave stat bonuses to magic and spirit etc until i saw it in your editor

now the second thing i wanted to do, and maybe you can help me out with this, is change some of the materia.  basically, i want to change materia like slash-all, mega-all, and such that ruin the difficulty of the game, to be like the ultima materia, in the way that, they cannot even be used until a certain amount of ap is gained.  im going to try to do this by just experimenting possibly copying the ultima materia modifiers and other properties maybe this will break the game i dont know....  im not exactly sure, what the "materia type modifier" at the bottom is or what it does any chance you can shed some light on that

now if only i could also delete most of the cutscenes or make them skippable, is that a word, anyways, and also change some of the music (i have actually figured out how to do this), arhhh that gold saucer music is just horrible, maybe delete cait sith from the game too  :roll:

oh yeah i also wanted to ask you another question about the materia, well i am obviously using a completed game save file to test out the modifications, and some of the materia is like lv2 or 3 or whatever, or mastered... now... lets say my materia is lv2... if i change the ap required to get it to lv2 to be like alot higher, does it lose the star, or what happens exactly... im sure i can figure this out on my own but i havent yet really, i think it retains the star tho... not a real important question just wondering, thanks

appreciate any help.  sorry if i asked any stupid questions or ones that you have already answered on this thread, i did read alot of it but not all 42 pages, ok thanks

oh yeah one more question, i wanted to change the masamune i think its called, which is the awesome looking sword.  well it only has two materia slots and they are not linked, which annoyed me in the game.  now i changed them to be linked.  but i read in the help file (great help file btw) that this will not actually make them linked in the game.  so i assume thats true but can you confirm?

i will most likely figure all this out on my own eventually, but any help will save me time and is highly appreciated :)

oh yeah one more thing, what exactly is kernel2.bin... so this file is opened and modified when i open kernel.bin in WM?  so i need to back it up...?  haha oops too late
« Last Edit: 2013-02-28 08:58:34 by stavstav »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1030 on: 2013-02-28 13:30:05 »
Well this is one of the more rambling "natural posts" I've seen in a while... Oh well. They aren't stupid questions so I'll give you what you want.

now the second thing i wanted to do, and maybe you can help me out with this, is change some of the materia.  basically, i want to change materia like slash-all, mega-all, and such that ruin the difficulty of the game, to be like the ultima materia, in the way that, they cannot even be used until a certain amount of ap is gained.  im going to try to do this by just experimenting possibly copying the ultima materia modifiers and other properties maybe this will break the game i dont know....  im not exactly sure, what the "materia type modifier" at the bottom is or what it does any chance you can shed some light on that

Mega-All cannot be changed. It's been hard-coded by the "materia processor" in-game to do what it does. Changing its data in the KERNEL.BIN won't do anything. The command materia can be changed, but now that I think about it I'm not sure what would happen. Notice that Ultima materia has no first modifier? That means it doesn't grant a magic at level 1. It's not until level 2 that Ultima can be used. You can try this tactic with command materia that doesn't replace 'Attack' as a command. So slash-all could require 10K AP before it appears or whatever you deem appropriate.

oh yeah i also wanted to ask you another question about the materia, well i am obviously using a completed game save file to test out the modifications, and some of the materia is like lv2 or 3 or whatever, or mastered... now... lets say my materia is lv2... if i change the ap required to get it to lv2 to be like alot higher, does it lose the star, or what happens exactly... im sure i can figure this out on my own but i havent yet really, i think it retains the star tho... not a real important question just wondering, thanks

When you master a materia its AP is set at 16777215. That's how the game tells if it's been mastered or not. So even if you change the level 2 AP requirement of Fire to 250000 it will still remain mastered. Any NON-MASTERED materia will suddenly be susceptible to this new AP requirement, however. You would also lose any magics or commands granted by the levels it no longer has.

appreciate any help.  sorry if i asked any stupid questions or ones that you have already answered on this thread, i did read alot of it but not all 42 pages, ok thanks

I usually don't go past page 10 before I ask a question. :) Some of the information you're asking has been answered in the other threads I've posted in and this one doesn't contain that info.

oh yeah one more question, i wanted to change the masamune i think its called, which is the awesome looking sword.  well it only has two materia slots and they are not linked, which annoyed me in the game.  now i changed them to be linked.  but i read in the help file (great help file btw) that this will not actually make them linked in the game.  so i assume thats true but can you confirm?

If I'm understanding what you're saying, you're referencing the line "links are not enforced" in the help file. If that's the case, that just means that WallMarket doesn't force you to have matching links on your weapons/armor. You can have a weapon composed entirely of left-side links or an armor of right-side links. There is a post about this......somewhere. Basically, links need to be organized the way they are in the classic configuration for them to work. That is, right-side links in odd numbered slots and left-side links in even numbered slots facing each other. ( eg. "O=O O=O", but not "O O=O O" )

oh yeah one more thing, what exactly is kernel2.bin... so this file is opened and modified when i open kernel.bin in WM?  so i need to back it up...?  haha oops too late

The kernel2.bin is used exclusively by the PC to hold the text for all the items' battle and menu descriptions. It contains a few spelling corrections (eg Touph Ring -> Tough Ring) and some description changes. It was created by Eidos because Square's terms for the port was it needed to use the original unmodified data source files. So KERNEL.BIN was required, but kernel2.bin was added to be able to change these.

samourai23

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: 2013-03-01 17:28:23 »
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to combine some materias. Like make "Absorption HP/MP" or something like that ?

And also, is it possible to make accessories to give the character several statuses ? For example make the protector ring give the Barriers and also Haste and Poison ?
« Last Edit: 2013-03-01 17:39:08 by samourai23 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1032 on: 2013-03-01 17:45:14 »
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to combine some materias. Like make "Absorption HP/MP" or something like that ?

And also, is it possible to make accessories to give the character several statuses ? For example make the protector ring give the Barriers and also Haste and Poison ?

No and no respectively. That would take some asm editing in the exe.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: 2013-04-07 05:13:42 »
Sorry to bother you guys but wall market keeps on crashing whenever I try to save my changes to attacks and stuff.  When I do I get the error window.  I didn't have this problem before.  I made sure it wasn't blocked and I unchecked read only.  I even did a fresh install of wallmarket.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1034 on: 2013-04-07 11:47:19 »
There's no real "install" of WM. It's just the exe and zlib1.dll and a few optional files. Did the zlib1.dll disappear? That's certainly not supposed to happen, but it would definitely give errors when saving. Probably when the prog starts up.

Other than that, I can't help one bit without an error message. If your system changed and WM suddenly doesn't work there's nothing I can do.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: 2013-04-07 22:05:46 »
Hopefully that is not the case.  Here is my error message:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateKERNELBINToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WallMarket
    Assembly Version: 1.4.5.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Games/FINAL%20FANTASY%20VII/WallMarket145/WallMarket.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.30214.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
I think it maybe that I can't uncheck read only from the main FF7 folder.  No matter what I try to do to unlock it it resets.  Guess my Sephiroth limit mod won't see the light of day.  Unless people don't mind spelling errors.  Edit: I guess I could just release it and make a note of it and have the users re-adjust it themselves.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-07 22:18:14 by genesis063 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1036 on: 2013-04-08 03:44:44 »
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at WallMarket.Form1.CreateKERNELBINToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

That doesn't seem possible. I'll double check it tomorrow though.

EDIT:
Checked it. Still doesn't seem possible. Too bad it doesn't give line numbers.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-08 18:25:18 by NFITC1 »

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: 2013-04-08 20:13:14 »
So basically i'm SOL?  I agree before I never had a problem until I got that.  So i'm at a loss.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1038 on: 2013-04-09 03:40:27 »
Do you have the .Net 3.5 or later installed? It looks like you might have 2.0

Also, if there are some KERNEL.BIN pieces it might do that. Try deleting all the pieces if there are any.

Chippy

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: 2013-05-10 18:18:25 »
Hi Folks,

Just a newbie question - I am using File > "CreateKernel.bin" to save changes, is this correct?  As no changes are being saved, have also tried "Create Kernel and Kernel2.bin".

I've installed Netframework 4.5, visual basic power pack (trying to run from Windows\System32 as the readme suggests results in it not loading and displaying the error "This application cannot be started.  But does load from the desktop.

I've ensured administrator privileges and unchecked read only on everything.  FF7 installed in C:Games\FF7.  This is the latest Bootleg version though.

Advice greatly appreciated.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1040 on: 2013-05-11 01:09:37 »
Are your changes still there when you re-open WM? I think the bootleg makes a different kernel pair in a different directory.

Chippy

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: 2013-05-11 14:44:45 »
Ah, yes the changes are still there when I close Wallmarket and reload, however they disappear once I load FF7 and return.  A search result showed 29 Kernel folders within \FinalFantasyVII\data...

In all honesty I wanted to use this to alter the Buster Sword to be usable throughout the campaign, and since using Wallmarket to read what another mod has already changed am happy with it as it is.  So while I'd appreciate learning how to use Wallmarket, if this starts an impending headache for yourself, likely isn't worth it for the changes I might make.  ;)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: 2013-05-18 11:12:57 »
Request: Make an option to update the animations from PSX to PC (and vice-versa) with the correct ones, since some (if not many) animations don't have the same ID between PSX and PC. I think it would be handy, same as with Proud Clod.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1043 on: 2013-05-18 18:55:25 »
Request: Make an option to update the animations from PSX to PC (and vice-versa) with the correct ones, since some (if not many) animations don't have the same ID between PSX and PC. I think it would be handy, same as with Proud Clod.

The KERNEL.BIN has been verified (by me) to be the same between both PC and PSX. There's no difference in unmodded files so there's no point for such a specific feature.
The scene.bin might be different, but only the AI if anything.

Just re-verified. The scene.bin AND KERNEL.BIN files are identical between the US PSX and PC versions.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-18 19:02:16 by NFITC1 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: 2013-05-20 14:30:31 »
Oh? Well, Bosola told me otherwise...

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1045 on: 2013-05-20 15:49:24 »
There are differences between absolute animation ids of them, yes. They all have the same relative animation indexes (There are already topics discussing the differences and further discussion of that does not belong in this thread).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: 2013-06-17 21:40:18 »
This is still corrupting text :P  I have no idea why it seems to be only me... unless other people aren't using their eyes?  I saved file (which had been saved by touphscript originally, and had no issue after that), and battle text became this >

Not   g
Take Everyt   g

It is possible ts did something to the file that wallmarket later did not like, but all the text was ok after ts had edited it.

In fact, all words "Nothing" and "Everything" in that section have been changed to Not  g and Everyt  g.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1047 on: 2013-06-17 21:54:29 »
This is still corrupting text :P  I have no idea why it seems to be only me... unless other people aren't using their eyes?  I saved file (which had been saved by touphscript originally, and had no issue after that), and battle text became this >

Not   g
Take Everyt   g

It is possible ts did something to the file that wallmarket later did not like, but all the text was ok after ts had edited it.

In fact, all words "Nothing" and "Everything" in that section have been changed to Not  g and Everyt  g.

Hmm, interesting. I've known the text gets corrupted for a long time but still haven't found out why. It might be that it's going back to other text entries when it shouldn't for text compression. I hadn't considered that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: 2013-06-17 22:01:07 »
Well it is certainly telling that whenever a text gets altered, that exact word gets altered everywhere.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1049 on: 2013-07-03 12:06:33 »
It's certainly comparing per text line, not the entire file. At least the PC compressn does. Is this affecting the PC, PSX, or both? I also haven't tried using ts to create this error.