Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1846619 times)

Jangus

Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #375 on: 2011-10-29 16:59:23 »
Yeah I read about the crash in the slleping man's cave but im not even close to going in there so i thought id leave it on. All the new music is in the FF7music folder in the FF7 folder so i dont no why its not playing. Unless there was something I should of checked or unchecked in the bootleg installer?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 2011-10-30 01:56:55 »
Are you using the desktop link to start ff7?
Don't start the game with ff7.exe.
Also, make sure you run the game as administrator just in case.
FF7Music should start first and continue running in the background.

It appears that everything in your app.log is working correctly.

I've already corrected the new soundfx patch.
I'll have to fixed soundfx up soon when I release Bootleg 0036.

Jangus

« Reply #377 on: 2011-10-30 13:08:30 »
Well eveything seems to b working now. I was using the ff7.exe not the shortcut so mayb that was it. i also reinstalled everything aswell. will only run in window mode tho. Cheers for the help!!
Execellent work pit, looking forward to the next release :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 2011-10-30 20:46:43 »
Can anyone give me a reason why this is in FAQ and not in one of the mod release forums?

PitBrat

• View Profile
Re: Bootleg Edit for the FFVII Remix 2.5.1
« Reply #379 on: 2011-10-30 21:47:42 »
SL1982, thank you for noticing!

This looks like a tutorial, therefore, I have moved it to FAQs and given it a [TUT] label

But I did start the thread with only the documentation before I had a release ready.
I didn't want to make another thread because the mods know best.
But this thread is really confused now with what essentially are 3 separate projects: Bootleg Tutorial, Bootleg Configurator and Big List of Mods.
Also, there's a lot of tech support in here . . .

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 2011-11-01 08:43:15 »
very good in depth tutorial working on downloading the long list now but i have 2 questions. will the bootleg configurator work if i extract all the mods after downloading them. im extracting them to the same folder as the bootleg configurator and each one has its own folder. and also can i download only the red highlighted ones or do i HAVE to get them all

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 2011-11-01 08:55:44 »
Your information is way out of date regarding Menu Overhaul.  I have corrected these below in red,

FILES: m003.rar, ff7102zx.zip
M004d

NOTE: Dialogue text scrolling behaves unexpectedly with this mod.
Doesn't as of M003.

NOTE: The Menu Overhaul uninstaller will no longer function correctly after these modifications.
The uninstaller works perfectly.

WARNING: Installing this mod disables YAMP patches.
It comes with Yamp patches

WARNING: If you enable MDef Fix or 9999 Limit Break, disable those same features in ff7_opengl.cfg
Mdef fix is fully compatible with this mod, and 9999 limit break will pose no issues if from a patch.  Aalis 9999 patch option is automatically disabled and should be left that way.

WARNING: Start a new game after installing the Menu Overhaul.  Save games made before the Menu Overhaul will not function correctly.
Save games should run perfectly.

WARNING: There is an error with the 'FeliX's tweaked graphics' setting. Textures usfont_a_l_00 and usfont_b_l_00 are duplicates of usfont_a_l_14 and usfont_b_l_14 respectively.

No longer case as of M004.

Extract and run M003.exe from the m003.rar archive

There is no more archive, run installer straight off.

Backup the kernel
        Copy .\data\kernel\kernel2.bin to C:\temp\kernel\2_menu\
        Copy C:\temp\kernel\0_original\kernel.bin to C:\temp\kernel\2_menu\
Installer auto backs up files, no manual work is needed.

Move and replace all files and folders from inside .\mods\dk\ into .\mods\avalanche\

Only if using other mods...

Clear the Cache
Installer clears cache as of M004\

Adding Menu Overhaul Changes to the Remix Kernel
        If you wish to keep the alternate spell names from the Remix patch:
            When installing the Menu Overhaul, UNTICK the box next to Kernel2.bin
            As per the mod's readme instructions:
                Alter kernel2.bin with WallMarket
                    Install and Run WallMarket
                    Open .\data\kernel\kernel.bin
                    Change "D.blow" to "D.Blow"
                    Select FILE | Create "Kernel2.bin"
                    Under the Battle Text tab: Change "next level:" to "Next level:"
                    Select FILE | Create "Kernel2.bin"
                    Close WallMarket

This no longer applies as of M004 due to touphscript. Normal menu mod will have no side effects.

« Last Edit: 2011-11-01 19:19:53 by DLPB »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 2011-11-02 02:28:37 »
Tapatos,
Bootleg will not work if you extract or modify the archives in any way.
The file names and contents must be identical to the original downloads.
The mod file names and contents are hardcoded into the Bootleg Configurator.

DLPB,
I've made extensive changes to the tutorial.
I've held off the update while I continue to revise all of the sections.
Thank you for the corrections.
I've added the information to my working document.
I'll post the new update when all sections are finalized.

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 2011-11-02 20:43:47 »
ok thanks had to re rar/zip them and it worked amazingly well. the only problems i have now are when it installs face palmer it says cannot find FORFILES. and when it installs the felix leonhart and magochocobo battle enhancement packs they install fine but once in the game its the old battle textures. other than that everything works great

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 2011-11-03 01:42:04 »
Yes, Bootleg 0035 has a flaw when installing the FacePalmer in parts.
This is fixed in the upcoming 0036 release.
Not all battle scenes have new textures.
The initial train and reactor scenes are new and unique to Bootleg.
After that, you'll have to progress quite a ways into the game to encounter the new battle scenes.

I had had some recent content changes that have delayed the 0036 release.
A question for the community, how do you feel about growing the Bootleg archive by another 13MB in order to include optional models?
Is the increased size worth not having to download more files even if you don't always choose to use all of the included models?

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 2011-11-03 03:45:19 »
alright ive seen a few new battle textures. thanks for clearing that up for me. im looking forward to any new releases of bootleg

IHIavok96

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 2011-11-03 18:05:50 »
A question for the community, how do you feel about growing the Bootleg archive by another 13MB in order to include optional models?
Is the increased size worth not having to download more files even if you don't always choose to use all of the included models?

Gets my vote.  Another 13 mb is always better than having to go get the files yourself. Never know when those links will stop working and you cannot DL the files needed.  The more files added, the better I always say.   Even if I might not use them. Their always there waiting if I change my mind.

EDIT:

Plus it ends up making the Bootleg just about the only file you'll need to get for all your wants in the games. That's always a big plus when it comes to mods. 
« Last Edit: 2011-11-03 18:09:54 by IHIavok96 »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 2011-11-04 02:03:19 »
After the 0036 release, I'm drastically changing the format of the Bootleg Archive.
I'll have a very large mod pack that remains fairly constant.
Updates will come in small, bit sized patches.
Including large mods like FacePalmer, the FMV's and the battle texture mods doesn't make sense.
This will dramatically reduce the total number of downloads.

Thanks go to all of the mod authors who have agreed to let me include their hard work in the Bootleg archive!

Be on the lookout for the Unified Model Installer project led by DLPB.  Much smaller in scope than Bootleg, this project focuses exclusively on simplifying the installation of all FF7 models.

Thanks for all the support.  I especially like the compliments!
Keep playing Final Fantasy . . .

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 2011-11-04 04:39:00 »
ive noticed a few of the links in the current bootleg are dead if there was a way you could include those files or something that would be amazing. just need approval from the authors which shouldnt take much.

Rheikon

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 2011-11-04 15:53:48 »
13 more megs is fine with me ;)

ClintEastwood321

« Reply #390 on: 2011-11-05 04:54:18 »
PitBrat, this is an amazing job you have done sir...and yes, all due respect goes to all the makers of the respective mods...Kudos to you all!  Just yesterday I thought, "Hmm...I haven't played FF7 in years and years...maybe I will re-install my old copy and give it a go."  I have been modding lots of my old games recently, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Oblivion, among others, and thought...I wonder if FF7 has any mods.  I had no idea there was so much great work being done with this game.  I came across the FF7 Remix and some comments in that thread mentioned your work, the Bootleg Project, and mentioned how "difficult" it was to install the mods...when in truth, your Bootleg Config is complete genius.  I thought I downloaded all the necessary files and the red highlights of which files I was missing was spot on and helped me install everything but the M004 file (which I have read will be incorporated upon next release.)  All in all...I have been playing for the last day, the most satisfying FF experience I have ever hoped for other than a complete remake.  It is almost like playing a brand new version!   I just wanted to thank you for making this tool and everyone who had a part of modding this fantastic game that we all love.
Great work to all involved!
P.S. 13 extra megs is nothing compared to all the files downloaded thus far to make the game look/sound great...add those extra functions! :)

Cooter

« Reply #391 on: 2011-11-06 15:16:20 »
Ok, so I'm a little TL;DR on this, but have read enough posts (not sure where they originally are as every time I click a link it opens a new window and multiple windows can sometimes get confusing), I just want to make it clear for myself...

In order to use the Bootleg installer, it is my understanding that all of the red files form the list need to be downloaded, regardless of if they will be actually installed (depending on the switch used).  If that is the case, I have been slowly but surely downloading the files needed as I don't have a lot of time available to download.  I came across a 404 error when trying to download cr.rar.  I've stopped downloading for now because if all the red files are mandatory I don't want to be stuck if I can't get that file.  Is there another place to get that file from?  Google search was very not helpful for me.  Or is it really needed?

Also...

On page 1 it shows the mod order to do things in.  If I wanted to just have a few, would it work ok if I followed the directions in the order for any mods to install?  That way I can install the mods that I would prefer.

Thanks

Tapatos

• Woot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 2011-11-06 15:44:15 »
Ok, so I'm a little TL;DR on this, but have read enough posts (not sure where they originally are as every time I click a link it opens a new window and multiple windows can sometimes get confusing), I just want to make it clear for myself...

In order to use the Bootleg installer, it is my understanding that all of the red files form the list need to be downloaded, regardless of if they will be actually installed (depending on the switch used).  If that is the case, I have been slowly but surely downloading the files needed as I don't have a lot of time available to download.  I came across a 404 error when trying to download cr.rar.  I've stopped downloading for now because if all the red files are mandatory I don't want to be stuck if I can't get that file.  Is there another place to get that file from?  Google search was very not helpful for me.  Or is it really needed?

Also...

On page 1 it shows the mod order to do things in.  If I wanted to just have a few, would it work ok if I followed the directions in the order for any mods to install?  That way I can install the mods that I would prefer.

Thanks

same thing happened with me i couldnt download cd.rar and a few other small files. if u get all the big and medium sized files u can just install those with bootleg the missing ones will be skipped. i installed it and everything worked fine. cr.rar is just a menu and credits mod not really important since there are like 5 more others out there

Cooter

« Reply #393 on: 2011-11-06 19:25:25 »

same thing happened with me i couldnt download cd.rar and a few other small files. if u get all the big and medium sized files u can just install those with bootleg the missing ones will be skipped. i installed it and everything worked fine. cr.rar is just a menu and credits mod not really important since there are like 5 more others out there

So I was wrong and we don't need all the red files?  That would be awesome if the installer just installed the mods you want.  I would take the time to try to get it right, but if there is something available that does it for me... correctly... then I'm all for it.

skifreak107

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 2011-11-08 15:17:09 »
Bootleg can crash if you are missing certain critical files, so its best to just grab them all. CR.rar is no longer applicable because it was rolled into another one. I was able to use bootleg just fine with everything except that one. I posted a list of how many files you should have in the big mod list thread, not including cr.rar.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 2011-11-08 16:32:52 »
I'm still working on the new version of Bootleg.
There are quite a few new mods included.
I'm testing and debugging.  It's slow going.
I have to install FF7 many many times.
Now I have to decide when to include the mod and when to make it a separate download.
The total Bootleg download is now at 85MB.
I'm not sure if I should release this bloated file, or wait even longer while I sort the mods into Bootleg packs for separate download.
I might release a preview version of 0036 just to get a fresh perspective.
I know I've fixed quite a few bugs, but I've surely introduced some new ones.

What is the maximum acceptable size of Bootleg?  Is 200MG too big?  When I do break Bootleg into separate mod packs, to what size should I limit the individual downloads?
How should I break the mods down?  Now I'm leaning toward basing the mod packs on required mods and the presets.

I've spent too much time simply changing my mind and changing the same code over and over again.

Bandit Keith

« Reply #396 on: 2011-11-08 17:40:56 »
I'm a long-time lurker but a lover of Bootleg, and I've been waiting in earnest for 0036, because a great friend of mine has never played FF7, and I want to give her a really touched up and remastered version of it to enjoy.

Pit, I think what you should do is release what's working now, get some input, and see how you feel about what's in place right now-- if you just keep adding features and mods and testing, you'll be more and more uncertain of what you're up to with time. Small releases to add little things bit by bit is a stronger method of mod development in the case of a compilation installer (I take my cues from the Big World mod from Baldurs Gate, which does almost exactly what your Bootleg does, but for Baldurs Gate, and with about.. 250+ mods.)

Size isn't a big deal, but you should keep it as low as you can-- and include essentials that you think are really core to improving the game. In my case, this would be retranslation+menu overhauls+high quality avatars+bugfixes (Like the Mdef bugfix/9999 limit breaker) and other things that don't change the actual gameplay or models or anything like that, but update the things that really needed the most work about the game, and that's text layouts, bugfixes, etc.

Bootleg as it is right now is totally fine and not counter-intutive at all. What I would suggest is that you add an automated process for fetching the mods and installing them to the default directory (or a chosen directory). You already have all of the links programmed in, it would not be hard to simply fetch them as well and drop them into the FF7 or mods folder automatically; this would allow people to simply customize the installation in any way they see fit, and for you not to have to worry about releasing mod packs or the size of Bootleg, etc. It'd give all the power to the user and lighten the size of Bootleg down by a lot, or at least prevent it from swelling up.

Just some things to think about. Thanks for Bootleg :)

Rheikon

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2011-11-08 18:24:52 »
I would say the base download for bootleg could be whatever size. It mostly depends what is in it, to me. Keep all the little mods in there so it is less hassle to run around looking for something or downloading 20 different things. That will also reduce a lot of the clutter. Reducing that hassle may encourage people to try out different things they may not have since it is easy.

I would imagine a similar approach to the packs would make sense as well. Some are going to have to be pretty large though, unless you keep major overhauls separate.

kirbtheman

« Reply #398 on: 2011-11-09 09:45:47 »
Hey all,

Giving this a shot now.  Thanks for all the great work and effort thats been put into this.  Fingers crossed!

The link for missing_hq.zip is now broken.  Please could somebody post a new link to this.

THANKS!
Kirby

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 2011-11-09 14:13:47 »
I made another link for missing.hq.zip!

missing_hq.zip                                  Grimmy          Rufus, Sephiroth and Meteor             Qhimm FILE