Author Topic: [UNRESOLVED] No sound at all on FF7  (Read 14385 times)

luijee

[UNRESOLVED] No sound at all on FF7
« on: 2011-07-17 00:36:59 »
Hi, I followed various tutorials around the site, i've installed the 1.02 patch, aali's custom graphics driver, team avalanche's graphical overhaul and the custom cloud advent children models, my game ran fine except for I noticed that their were no sounds during the cutscenes, so I went to the forums and installed the ff7 music patch (using the easy installer) thinking it would fix it, however it when I ran the game it had the menu sound fx but no music at all :(
I uninstalled the patch, deleted the FF7MUSIC folder as well since that came with the installer but didn't delete during uninstallation. Before I uninstalled the patch I backed it up thinking that it might screw something up, which it did. Now I have absolutely no sound at all from the game, i'll post my ff7_opengl.cfg and anything you guys need to know to sort it out.

also, I am new to the whole ff7 pc modding scene but I'm experienced in installing mods for games and getting things to work in general on the computer yet I posted here since you guys are the expert at modding this game :)

My pc is running Windows 7 64bit
custom built, i3 540 processor, ati radeon 5770 HD gfx card, 1920x1080 native screen resolution (playing ff7 windowed mode 1200x900), 4gb ram, ff7 installed on my secondary 1TB hard drive since my first is only a 60gb SSD
running ff7 in compatibility for Windows 98 / Windows Me
i'm at the part where you go to junon city and meet mr.dolphin if that makes a difference lol

ff7_opengl.cfg:

# ff7_opengl-0.7.8b config file

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = none

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# plugins
# a movie plugin is required, the music plugin is optional, but required to make FF7Music work
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp
music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

# vertex and fragment shaders
vert_source = shaders/main.vert
frag_source = shaders/main.frag

# YUV fast path shader
yuv_source = shaders/yuv.frag

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# set the window size (and fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1200
window_size_y = 900
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = no

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = no

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = off

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = yes

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
# this option should be used for testing only, performance will take a hit
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
# this option is for modders only, it's useful to find out which texture to replace and which palettes it needs
show_missing_textures = no

anything else you need just ask me, please reply quickly. I can't wait to play this legendary game again like when I was 6

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
Re: [UNRESOLVED] No sound at all on FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-17 01:09:57 »
Well one thing you can try is to install the latest Aali's custom driver, version 0.7.11b

Regarding the FF7Music (with the installer), you probably have to start FF7 through .\FF7Music\FF7Music.exe and .\FF7Music\launchff7.exe to have music. You might want to run the FF7Music.exe first to configure/confirm your plugins and profile.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure why there is no sound. Is it just the cutscene or the other sound effects as well?
« Last Edit: 2011-07-17 01:14:56 by vAddicatedGamer »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-17 02:54:53 »
try changing
# plugins
# a movie plugin is required, the music plugin is optional, but required to make FF7Music work
music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

to

# plugins
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

then while in-game raise the volume to the max and see if u hear any of the midi musics playing..

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-17 22:54:07 »
If ff7music using the installer is playing no music at all, you are likely starting just the game, and not ff7music itself. It should add a shortcut to your desktop on install, which is the easiest way to run the game and ff7music at the same time.

As for sound being completely silent, do what -Ric- suggested, and also run ff7config.exe, and make sure you have the right audio device selected.

norikoteiko

• View Profile
    • German Ragnarok Online Highrate
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-17 22:57:57 »
i´ve you´re usin the installer you have to change the input and output plugin for the ff7music.exe to the correct path

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-17 23:00:47 »
i´ve you´re usin the installer you have to change the input and output plugin for the ff7music.exe to the correct path
I'm pretty sure I fixed that in the latest version. It's possible I fixed it wrong because I was tired and I did it late at night and didn't test it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the issue before.

norikoteiko

• View Profile
    • German Ragnarok Online Highrate
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-17 23:14:33 »
i had to change it in your last rev , but it is really a great installer

luijee

« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-23 08:08:01 »
sorry I haven't been on the forum for the past week I've been kinda busy, but anyway I've reinstalled FF7 completely and onto my C drive now in the default install location, however now I can not hear the cutscenes or battle sound fx most of the time :/ any ideas?
« Last Edit: 2011-07-23 09:06:29 by luijee »

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-24 23:42:30 »
What specifically do you mean by "most of the time"? Also, what sound card do you have? Find that out and try and see if you can find the latest drivers for it and let us know the results. Also, did you go into FF7config.exe to test and set up your midi and sound? Trying different settings may yield different results. Last but not least the sound in fmv cutscenes is played within the movies themselves... this requires codecs and a player. I'd suggest using K-Lite Codec pack, which can be found by using Google.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-25 01:48:05 »
If aali's driver is installed then codec's are not needed. If you run without you need trumotion.

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-25 07:59:36 »
If aali's driver is installed then codec's are not needed. If you run without you need trumotion.

Does that include audio codecs? If so then good, that assists in eliminating causes so we can get to the core of the issue here.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-25 08:20:39 »
If aali's driver is installed then codec's are not needed

I want to correct this:

If aali's driver is working then codec's are not needed.

go to FF7Music-Folder and look into 'app.log', there should be something like 'FF7/FF8 OenGL driver version 0.7.11b'.
If not, Aalis Driver will not work.

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-26 00:16:23 »
I was going to say, you might want to find out if your graphics card even supports OpenGL because if it doesn't then there's absolutely no point in having OpenGL drivers, right?

luijee

« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-29 12:09:13 »
These are the folders I have in the install directory, am I missing any? http://oi54.tinypic.com/11kl8iv.jpg
My sound card is Realtek High defintion audio according to my device manager.
My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 5770 so I think it supports opengl, I remember opengl works for it in after effects so ya.

should i bother installing the K-Lite Codec pack or is the fix something to do with the config and stuff

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-29 12:24:55 »
It wouldn't hurt to install the codec pack. It will take care of all codec issues in Windows for good, so you'll benefit either way. Yeah, your card definitely supports it. I've had problems with that same audio card in the past, so it may have something to do with that, but the problems I had were unrelated to FFVII itself. If you can find drivers for that card, which would probably be hard, then you might want to update them.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-29 14:39:55 »
I think you have not installed FF7Music is that correct? Then in the file ff7_opengl.cfg should again the # in,

#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

I guess that plugin is to be used only with FF7Music.

Also, you should start FF7 Config.exe Take control of the sections Sound and MIDI , if that's where the right equipment.

greeting Kompass63
« Last Edit: 2011-07-29 14:56:22 by Kompass63 »