Author Topic: [PC] Field background editor - Palmer (0.8b)  (Read 212612 times)

death_gigas

• View Profile
Re: Palmer
« Reply #300 on: 2009-10-12 07:25:22 »
ok ok ......

Cloud_NSA

• ~ FF7 Yeah!! ~
    • View Profile
    • NoSoloAnime
« Reply #301 on: 2009-10-13 18:16:47 »
my first use with palmer =D

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 2009-10-13 19:17:25 »
a little grainy but looks good.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 2009-10-13 19:45:07 »
the original is kinda grainy, My note is that it's a tad darker, But i think it's not a bad touch. now. see how it looks ingame haha

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 2009-10-13 20:35:00 »
I'm quite certain that Cloud_NSA's version is a lot grainier than the original.

The darkening has an interesting effect; I can't tell just by looking at it whether it would be better or worse in game (and a lot of video games are too dark), however, there is a chance that it would improve the atmosphere and make the start of the game feel more intense. (however, I would prefer the colour scheme to be kept to the original as closely as possible for most background mods)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 2009-10-13 21:34:46 »
i like it!

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 2009-10-14 00:55:06 »
Question, did you simply just upscale the image? because it seems to keep most of the original quality except for the clock face which seems to be whited out and the image is a little darker

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 2010-01-29 05:42:53 »
Sorry for the necro but i couldn't see starting a new thread for this. I was trying to import a new background into the game and the way the driver calls the png doesnt seem to match the output from palmer. I tried hex editing and the game found some of the png's but it couldnt find others and didnt mention that it did not find them. Aali if you need more info let me know.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 2010-01-29 07:06:16 »
The latest release of Palmer is more than a bit out of date by now. Hopefully I can get a new release out soon.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 2010-01-29 19:24:35 »
You have filled me with happiness my sweet walrus  :-)
Black and white ff7, here i cometh

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 2010-02-02 07:14:13 »
Sorry for the necro but i couldn't see starting a new thread for this. I was trying to import a new background into the game and the way the driver calls the png doesnt seem to match the output from palmer. I tried hex editing and the game found some of the png's but it couldnt find others and didnt mention that it did not find them. Aali if you need more info let me know.

I know it doesn't work for unpaletted layers but there should be no problems with regular paletted ones. Is this what you have discovered as well?
The driver doesn't say when it falls back on palette 0 because the requested palette couldn't be found, but it should always tell you when nothing could be loaded at all.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: 2010-02-02 15:18:55 »
I am not quite sure if the background images were palleted as palmer extracts them as 24bit pngs and i have no other way of viewing them. As for the driver it tried to load the external pngs but there was a naming problem with the way palmer edited the original file. I went in and changed the names of them but for some reason if would find files that you had named file_01_number and file_02_number but not the ones that were named file_03_number. Sorry i dont know any more information to give.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 2010-02-27 11:24:22 »
http://backup.ninjaloot.se/share/palmer-0.4b.zip

Finally remembered to release a new version of Palmer, this one will fix a lot of issues with 0.3a, unfortunately it's also (somewhat) incompatible with 0.3a exports.

External texture references are no longer simple file names that depend on what you name the field file when you save it, it is instead hardcoded to "field/<name of input file>/<name of input file>_<layer>.png". Palmer will tell you the exact path when you save the file. This avoids a couple of nasty bugs in 0.3a and will also not lead to a complete mess when you start modifying more than one field background since each one now has it's own directory.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: 2010-02-27 14:40:08 »
Can we use larger resolution images? :3

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 2010-02-27 15:16:11 »
When i try to import a png into palmer that is of a larger size it just shows up as white and does not export any images.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: 2010-02-27 16:57:55 »
Are you trying to import an old 0.3a export?
It's working fine on my end, starting with a clean 0.4b export.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 2010-02-27 17:34:54 »
All i did was open up the field file from the flevel.lgp and then try to import the images that xeno created. Palmer shows a white screen. When i try to export it, it makes a new field file, gives me a message about file name but does not export any png's

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 2010-02-27 20:31:08 »
Ah so it's quite likely that it's a 0.3a export then? Those images will have to be remade or atleast renamed, because 0.4b has a slightly different layout when it comes to exports/imports.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 2010-02-27 20:37:30 »
So if i export the png's from the field file and rename the png's to correspond it should work?

Edit: tried that and it works
« Last Edit: 2010-02-27 23:12:21 by sl1982 »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #319 on: 2010-04-04 00:14:34 »
Sorry for reviving this, but Aali, if you haven't stopped working on Palmer, may I request some stuff?
Just a couple things I'd like to see in this program.

Firstly, an option to export the current frame as a flat image would be handy, for remaking the BGs.

Secondly, is it possible to export the whole thing, layers and animations and all, into a layered .png or .psd file? So like, different animations and such on different layers, as opposed to all these as seperate images altogether. Photoshop doesn't seem to like me dragging them all in, and I'm too lazy to manually paste them all in.

darkken

« Reply #320 on: 2010-04-04 00:32:17 »
For remaking BGs, easy way to get a flat image is to just hit Print Screen and paste into whichever image editor you use.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #321 on: 2010-04-04 00:57:38 »
I know, That's what I've been doing. (Btw, Alt+PrtSc = 10x better than PrtSc alone)
But it's quite to get it pixel perfect with that method, and I'd prefer to get the exact correct size etc with the click of a button. Just a suggestion

darkken

« Reply #322 on: 2010-04-04 01:09:03 »
I assume you'd be pasting it into a canvas that's the proper size, so Alt Print Screen wouldn't be any different from just Print Screen. I just export the pngs, print screen and paste over one of the pngs so you can line it up easily.

Anyway just arguing for argument's sake. You're right that it would save a few small steps.

hasterdis

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 2010-07-02 05:44:56 »
Hi all, first of all, great work, but please can someone do a tutorial or something I don't understand very well sorry, what I have done is extract the png files of the first background but there is interminable backgrounds, it will take forever to modify all the backgrounds, so I have 2 questions:
1st. This palmer editor really change the background to hi res? because I don't understand, you all say, resize the png files but what with it, why the resized :S and it will take forever to resize ALL the png files of ALL the backgrounds don't you think the same?
2nd. It will be great and better if you Aali do a team like the avalanche team or the phoenix team that do the modifies of the game, because the background modify is a good point to do it.
Hope you can answer my questions and please don't confuse my questions, this is an excellent program and is really difficult to do it yet. Don't think that I am understimating your work, thanks in advance and sorry my bad english :P

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 2010-07-02 10:15:39 »
Hi all, first of all, great work, but please can someone do a tutorial or something I don't understand very well sorry, what I have done is extract the png files of the first background but there is interminable backgrounds, it will take forever to modify all the backgrounds, so I have 2 questions:
1st. This palmer editor really change the background to hi res? because I don't understand, you all say, resize the png files but what with it, why the resized :S and it will take forever to resize ALL the png files of ALL the backgrounds don't you think the same?
2nd. It will be great and better if you Aali do a team like the avalanche team or the phoenix team that do the modifies of the game, because the background modify is a good point to do it.
Hope you can answer my questions and please don't confuse my questions, this is an excellent program and is really difficult to do it yet. Don't think that I am understimating your work, thanks in advance and sorry my bad english :P
You shouldn't revive old topics unless your going to post really important stuff. Lock please. :)