Author Topic: New PC field script dumper.  (Read 5763 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
New PC field script dumper.
« on: 2004-07-05 14:05:48 »
here is a new field file script dumper for both the PC and PSX versions of the game made by lasyan3.

It's a little wonky, as it doen't dump the dialogs, and the hex dumps are a little on the skitzo side. but it's a good start for those who want to hack the scripting language apart.

You are going to need the command table file from the PSX script editor, that's here.

http://the-afterm.ath.cx/hack7_en.zip

The PC/PSX script dumper is here.

http://the-afterm.ath.cx/script_dump.zip

On the PC dumper, you can do a hex search for a particular sequence of hex numbers on an uncompressed field file to find the command line in question (The hex codes that make up the command are in the brackets) Keep in mind some commands are not parsed correctly, such as the BATTLE command The program dumps the data like this.

BATTLE (00, e7, 03)

Which gets transcribed as this

BATTLE (00,233,03)

when in fact it should read this

BATTLE  (00,999)

Anyway watch for that.

Have fun, happy hacking and  let me know if you learn anything.....

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-05 14:30:34 »
Im downloading now....See if i can do anything to help.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-05 14:34:41 »
You can also view the opcode definitions by opeing the command table in a text editor

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-05 14:43:59 »
So what file do i open exactly? Battle.LGP?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-05 17:40:50 »
I'm not sure with the PC version but with the playstation version you would decompress and open the DAT files in FIELD

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-05 22:19:00 »
lasyan have me a new verson of the script dumper. you can get it at the same place...

http://the-afterm.ath.cx/script_dump.zip

also gave me some useful advice.....

When I said that the commands like "Battle" are messed up, he told me how to fix them in the table file.

About the battle command, it's normal it's messed, 'cause I have not yet implemented the meaning ofits parameters. But you can personnalize all the commands (which includes thier name) by editing the tableC.tbl file.

For example, if you want the 2 last parameters of the battle command in one long parameter, just type "battle( <1>, <2> )"

lasyan3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-06 05:32:56 »
He, don't forget i'm sometimes reading this forum too! So you can ask anything!
About the files, you have to decompress them before using the prog (decompress the LGP files for the PC version, the DAT files for the PSX version).
Now, the prog âlso dump the dialogs, and the values are in hexadecimal.

Topher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-07 11:44:33 »
I'm trying to read the scripts in a hex editor, and I can understand it for the most part (how it calls functions with args, etc), but I can't understand how you seperated it into (ex. startmap)

- dic
- cloud
- tifa
- cid
- yufi

I see the names at the start of the file, but I can't figure out how the engine tells where one script ends/another begins, or who it belongs to.

Can you explain a bit more clearly how it works?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-07 12:31:48 »
I can tell you that those script names are arbatrary... More when I have have time from work.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-07 18:29:50 »
Well generally they didn't include something in the PSX version unless it was used Halkun the only thing I can guess is those are for the debugging system.

Cyb

Kero

• View Profile
How to use it
« Reply #10 on: 2004-09-24 13:00:25 »
Could someone please write short readme how to use these programs(hack7_en ff7dasm script_dump) with PC version of FF7? I have been looking for it on forums for at least hour and I cant find anything usefull, like: where are script files, in which .lgp, .bin or God knows where.  Examples would be great. Its nice to have these programs, but please add at least basic documentation.
On the other hand maybe I am just blind.

lasyan3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-09-24 17:13:35 »
Hack7 and ff7dasm only work for the psx version of FF7. But I made a "light" version of Hack7, which is the "script dumper", just for fun and for helping a little people who work on the pc version. To use this prog, you choose the file which contains the script (on the pc version, it seems that those files are contained in lgp archive, dunno how to extract them), you select the dialogs' and commands' tables (the 2 files tableA.tbl and tableC.tbl), choose the version and click on Extract, it will create some text files. That's it.