Author Topic: "Gears" - The FF7 Documentaion Project  (Read 59200 times)

Topher

• View Profile
"Gears" - The FF7 Documentaion Project
« Reply #100 on: 2004-07-11 23:00:41 »
FF7's scripting language is more like ASM than C/C++, however if you were willing to spend some time, you could make a program that decompiles the script into a C/C++ style language and then recompiles it when you save.

Also Halkun, I see in your doc you have:
3. No (野) - Itsushige Nojima (野島一成)

The correct translation is actually Kazushige Nojima.

Technically, Itsushige is right, too (same kanji), but it should be Kazushige.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2004-07-11 23:50:30 »
Hey, regarding the decoding of the in-battle text messages....any chance that one of you can edit the ones used during the first boss battle of the game?  I think there's a typo in this message:

Cloud: "Attack while its tail's up!"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Cloud say "Don't attack while it's tail's up!".....?

Just wondering if that's always been a typo or if they meant for Cloud to tell Barret to attack despite the Tail Laser counterattack.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #102 on: 2004-07-11 23:52:53 »
Going through the same's scripts, you discover there is *a lot* of typeos in the game.

That's just one of many.

Topher

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2004-07-12 00:01:18 »
It says:

"Attack it while it's tail's up"
"It's gonna counterattack with it's laser!"

In two seperate lines.

It should say "If you attack it when the tail's up", "It'll counterattack with it's laser".

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2004-07-12 00:13:56 »
Hmm Ok.. I suppose we could make up a syntax then..
C would be a good start I suppose as well.

Well I would not call it like assembly as it's compiled, it's more like JAVA in that respect ;)
Irregaurdless of that, what type of parameters do the scripts accept?
IE
1 byte
2 byte
4 byte
operands?
Anything unusual like strings?
Does it accept pointers if so what kind of pointers?
File names? etc.

If it uses for example pointers to names and scripts etc. I would be more inclined to use C for the base of the scripting language. if it passes strings directly then I guess 'C like' is not likely what it was like ;)

C like is probably a good starting point actually :) It's the most common denominator.
Disassembly of the script into a C like syntax I do not think will be too difficult.
Compiling new scripts is a horse of a different color however :)

Cyb

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2004-07-12 01:20:11 »
Trust us when we say it is *VERY* like Assembly.  It certainly doesn't seem to have as many compiling artifacts as the FF7 executable appears to have, at any rate.

It wouldn't surprise me if the scripting 'language' they used was just a straight 1-to-1 translation of commands into the relevant opcodes:
If [Global Var] >= 220 Then Goto [Label] instantly compiles into: 14 [Global Var Address] DC 03 [Offset to Label].  This isn't exactly all that different from compiling assembler into machine code... hell, most assemblers support labels at least, if not variable names.

What I'm looking forward to at the moment is getting a script dump of the Chocobo Breeding stuff, since there's going to be some interesting variable manipulation there, which should help nail some more opcodes (as well as help me figure out a part of gameplay that hasn't been fully documented for years).

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2004-07-12 02:09:46 »
Quote from: halkun
Going through the same's scripts, you discover there is *a lot* of typeos in the game.

That's just one of many.

Yes, but I thought that the PC version (which is what I was refering to) had most if not all of the typos fixed....?

Regardless, the point remains that this is one of the typos that slipped through the fingers of both development teams.....and its one that always kinda struck me as odd, that's all.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2004-07-12 04:14:02 »
Quote from: Goku7

That's just one of many.

Yes, but I thought that the PC version (which is what I was refering to) had most if not all of the typos fixed....?

Regardless, the point remains that this is one of the typos that slipped through the fingers of both development teams.....and its one that always kinda struck me as odd, that's all.

All things considered, I don't think they spent a whole lot of time fixing bad translations etc.  I think they like Alhexx were lazy programers (laughs). :)

Cyb

Cyberman

• View Profile
Book Marks!
« Reply #108 on: 2004-07-19 17:11:25 »
Halkun
Since you are exporting to PDF is it possible you can add book marks to the Gears Documentation you are making?
Or.. at least an index would be handy.  

Call me lazy I donno  :lol:

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #109 on: 2004-07-19 17:39:58 »
The table of contentets are in a state of flux right now. (And horrably outdated) I need to move file formats into kennrel and make a better appendix. I'll look into how to export them using openoffice.....

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2004-07-19 20:10:44 »
The table of contentets are in a state of flux right now. (And horrably outdated) I need to move file formats into kennrel and make a better appendix. I'll look into how to export them using openoffice.....

Ahh I noticed you don't have the OpenOffice doc available anymore hmmm, how do you export to PDF? Using GhostView?

Ahh cool, I believe the BCX and Battle model information for the PS1 is getting close to being deciphered to the point of documentable.  However I need to rewrite a large amount of code for this as it's currently thin pasta mixed with meat sauce (spagheti in otherwords)i

If you have been watching 'The Repository' Pixel has a new PCSX binary with built in debugging, although not terribly interesting in it's own right, I have made steady progression in getting a debugger interface working friendly like with it.  At first it might seem like a trivial and pointless thing to say, however I expect by the end of the week to be able to find out what's going on with the various data files in the playstation version with it.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #111 on: 2004-07-19 22:35:15 »
I export PDFs using Openoffice, there's a button thingy that does it automagiclly. I have recently spied a bookmark button I'm going to try out just to see if it exports bookmarks to PDF or not.

::EDIT::

Nope, I can't find an obvios way to export bookmarks. I'll have to dig deeper when gears is nearing compleation or becomes to unwieldy when I write it.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #112 on: 2004-08-01 21:01:10 »
It time for my weekly update. Just thought I'd annouce an new gears is ready for download (WWW Button).

New This update:

1) Reworked the Table of contents a little. I need to try and keep that in line with the rest of the document

2) Fixed bad grammer/spelling errors I cought

3) Moved File formats up to Kernel and moved on. I also added RAM and VRAM management. It's missing information on the SEQ format, PSX model format, and other odds and ends. (sound, for example) Anyone who has has up to date, non sony related information on these, I would like that. It has enough information in there to have novice hackers start in on some of the common file formats.

4) Cleaned up MENU, I'm missing the difference between the PSX and PC versions of a save header file. I only have the save map that's saved from memory. I shall call that "DONE" as I can't decrypt the .MNU files, however I don't like it's astetics. Is there a better way to orgenize the menu pictures?

5) I have FIELD all set to start doing my data dump into. I have a really kick-butt VRAM image of a field file that I"m going to be using as an example.

I'm keeping all the generic file formats in KERNEL and andything special will go into ther respective module. I'm wating on Qhimm's work on the scripting language before I write anything concrete on that. I'm also waiting for cyb to finish his PSX model formats so I can toss them in as well.

Terrence is working on Scene.bin's logic system. That can go in to.

I would really like some comments on how it's coming along. My next major cosmetic thing I'm going to do is add dynamic page numbers as a footer and a header at the top to make it look more professonal.

I'm sorry, I can't add bookmarks to the PDF. I'm going to need someone with acrobat to do that for me when Gears nears compleation.

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
« Reply #113 on: 2004-08-15 01:17:27 »
"3.1 Model Formats for PSX" is in latin or something.... why isn't it in english? :/

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #114 on: 2004-08-15 02:03:32 »
It says this.

"But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain of itself, because it is pain, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great pleasure. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it? But who has any right to find fault with a man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that produces no resultant pleasure?

On the other hand, we denounce with righteous indignation and dislike men who are so beguiled and demoralized by the charms of pleasure of the moment, so blinded by desire, that they cannot foresee the pain and trouble that are bound to ensue; and equal blame belongs to those who fail in their duty through weakness of will, which is the same as saying through shrinking from toil and pain. These cases are perfectly simple and easy to distinguish. In a free hour, when our power of choice is untrammelled and when nothing prevents our being able to do what we like best, every pleasure is to be welcomed and every pain avoided. But in certain circumstances and owing to the claims of duty or the obligations of business it will frequently occur that pleasures have to be repudiated and annoyances accepted. The wise man therefore always holds in these matters to this principle of selection: he rejects pleasures to secure other greater pleasures, or else he endures pains to avoid worse pains.

go to http://www.lipsum.com/ for more information on why this is relevent to FF7

blackeyed_cn

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2004-08-15 17:32:13 »
why can't I download it? :(

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #116 on: 2004-08-15 19:17:01 »
did you click on my www button? it's there when I clicked on it.

blackeyed_cn

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2004-08-15 19:22:03 »
did you click on my www button? it's there when I clicked on it.

I clicked,but can not open that page,I donot know why,Am I the only person which can not open it?
I hate Chinese network service :(

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #118 on: 2004-08-15 19:27:28 »
They probably have a blanket ban on the .cx domain. Can you see my avatar? If you can't then it's the filter on your side.

It might also be that I get my internet through Yahoo, which carries American news too.

Can someone post a copy of gears for blackeyed_cn so he can get it around his rather unpleasent system admin issue?

blackeyed_cn

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2004-08-15 19:46:43 »
They probably have a blanket ban on the .cx domain. Can you see my avatar? If you can't then it's the filter on your side.

It might also be that I get my internet through Yahoo, which carries American news too.

Can someone post a copy of gears for blackeyed_cn so he can get it around his rather unpleasent system admin issue?

Our government do not allow us to know much about American news...
I can't see your avatar...
Any one help me?
Add my MSN: [email protected]
send it to me plz :)

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #120 on: 2004-08-15 20:25:10 »
I run linux, and don't have much in the way of MSN. Can someone else?

blackeyed_cn

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2004-08-15 21:14:36 »
I run linux, and don't have much in the way of MSN. Can someone else?

M4v3r have sended it to me,thx again

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2004-08-16 00:14:03 »
Quote from: Vanit
"3.1 Model Formats for PSX" is in latin or something.... why isn't it in english? :/

Ummm because it's not really there, Halkun put filler information in instead. He's crafty that way. Why not try reading the threads in the forum? There are a few of them here explaining the various model formats and discusing them. This thread in particular (which is rather active) has the FF7 battle model format, as the format is known and discused a lot in the thread.  The animation data, which will allow the whole model to be viewable, is the missing link thus it will not appear in gears for a while. Sorry can't hand you something on a silver plate there dude.  :lol:

Also note you will see that latin text wherever the information is not known or incomplete at best in the Gears Documentation.  I'll also note that all the models are compressed so you need to uncompress them before being able to use any of the data as well.  Look around this forum as there are PLENTY of references and information regarding the formats on the PSX version of FF7's various model files.

Cyb

blackeyed_cn

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2004-08-16 04:47:37 »
OMG,The Gears is so wonderful...are you finish it by yourself??
But why it is a pdf instead of a doc?
U know,My english is very poor,I read english material with the help of the translation software,but it does not work at pdf :(

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #124 on: 2004-08-16 06:13:29 »
I exported a .doc version of Gears and it's with my pdf

Can somone download it and send it to blackeyed_cn for me.

It's at the www button too.