Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Rerelease thread  (Read 311813 times)

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
Re: Square Enix files for domain “finalfantasyviipc.com”
« Reply #25 on: 2012-06-22 05:53:34 »
They also have the .net domain name http://www.superrobotmayhem.com/comic-games/ffvii-pc-online-edition/

They willl have to update the game engine for this, you cant go wrong with the price either

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-06-22 06:23:58 »
They really don't, actually.  While Aali's driver makes running the game so much easier, it's not impossible, they could release it via an installer similar to GoG

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-06-22 15:09:37 »
Moar information.

I'm seeing "slightly updated version" in a lot of places. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they just used all of the updates from here? XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012-06-22 15:14:02 »
If they do, I want ma credit.  I always want ma credit. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-06-22 15:27:47 »
Relax, they can't use fan-made materials without the fans' permission. They're subject to the same copyright laws we are. If you've not been contacted by Square-Enix, it's safe to say that your stuff likely isn't making it in.

Also, check these out:

http://thebronasium.com/cdr/app/39140
http://thebronasium.com/cdr/app/39141

Steam Registry entries for FF7... notice that they haven't been updated since December 16, 2011. If FF7 is coming to Steam, either it's been ready for quite some time, or it's not ready at all yet and still needs to go through all the red tape and bureaucracy with Valve, which would mean it's still a while off. Or it could mean it's not coming to Steam at all, and they're using a different download service instead. There's just too many unknowns to really say for sure what they're up to.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2012-06-22 15:29:58 »
Hasn't there been an entry on Steam for FFVII for years though?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 2012-06-22 16:03:34 »
Relax, they can't use fan-made materials without the fans' permission. They're subject to the same copyright laws we are. If you've not been contacted by Square-Enix, it's safe to say that your stuff likely isn't making it in.

...What about the chocobo patch? No-one told Eidos they could include it, but they still did - and in a non-share-alike work, to boot.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2012-06-22 19:27:59 »
Wasn't it Square-Enix who made the 1.02 patch?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-06-22 19:35:50 »
The 1.02, no,it was Eidos, but the Chocobo Patch was Aaron's work (am I right?) and they still included it. Basically, since we're using their engine for our mods here, they could say they belong to them, even if we made them.

I'll check some copyright laws and see if they can do that.

*Redacted. Read post below*
« Last Edit: 2012-06-22 20:51:19 by Vgr »

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 2012-06-22 20:38:01 »
Quote from: Vgr
A bunch of fairly misleading stuff

</delurk>

....are you serious?

Firstly, to the extent that there even is such a thing as 'international copyright law', that isn't it. What you're quoting is the DMCA.

Secondly, the exemptions you're quoting aren't exemptions that exempt you from having to obey copyright. They're exemptions from being sued for bypassing a copyright protection system. Since FF7 doesn't contain any DRM or similar, that's pretty irrelevant; the exemptions specifically state you're still subject to the normal restrictions of copyright.

Thirdly, the majority of the mods here are absolutely violations of Square's copyright. (The factual information about how the game works or the file formats are structured, possibly not; those are - in some countries at least - the sort of thing that isn't prohibited by copyright.) So while it would be a copyright violation for Square to take those mods and distribute them without the author's permission, are you really going to sue them for it? Knowing that they could probably sue you for violating their copyright in the first place?

That said, a major corporation isn't likely to be intentionally taking fan-made material and incorporating it into one of their official games. The Chocobo patch was very likely a community manager at Eidos just linking to something they'd found rather than something that had been Officially Approved all the way to the top.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2012-06-22 23:07:01 »
They also never technically copied/included/distributed the chocobo patch themselves; they linked it from Qhimm's server. Might seem like a small difference, but in court it's a huge one. They never included it with their own for-sale product.

Now, this isn't to say they couldn't/wouldn't use ANY fan-made material. For the most part, they can copy just about anything on a conceptual level with little to no problem. But they cannot use anything literally created by a fan, such as art assets or code, without some sort of license, and most companies don't bother with that. Notable exceptions include SEGA, who hired a fan to rebuild Sonic CD from the ground up with his own engine and another to make a few new sprites, or Valve who regularly hired fans and buys their work, but these companies are just that: exceptions.

If this re-release ends up happening, we will likely only see updates and fixes that they were able to implement themselves, and willing to invest the time and money into adding. If, as has been speculated, this is using an updated version of the old FF7PC engine, the best that we can hope for is that the data files haven't been encrypted and we can still update the assets inside them. I'd be surprised if they even did something as simple as a higher-resolution font.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2012-06-23 19:07:23 »
I wonder if they would leave the filesystem intact if they were to do this, or if they would encrypt some files to try and prevent modding

Porting a game with such engines as FF7 or FF8 PC into the Source Engine would totally break it. They would need to rewrite it. Would they? No. They'd rather spend money on shitty sequels (which don't even take the fan's opinion on it) and throw away the good old REAL Final Fantasies.

That's not what they would do, they would never do that as that makes no sense since it's not even their engine.

They are most likely taking the PC version we have currently and planning to resell it with cloud saves and achievements and some extra features. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-25 09:18:38 by BloodShot »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #37 on: 2012-06-23 23:23:22 »
They are most likely taking the PC version we have currently and planning to resell it with cloud saves and achievements and some extra features. Nothing more.

In this price that's what -I suppose- is initially intended by most on line gaming distributing services (like BloodShot significantly noted the "re-selling" instead of "re-making" issue)... exactly what already happened with psn. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not an expert on this subject but that's what I expect to get for 9.99 anyway... :) That's the reason I'm usually ignoring such news and prefer to stick to this forum's updates which apparently offer much wealth yet to satisfy our ff hunger... Personally I'm curious enough to see how Q-gears will evolve instead... hmmm ;)
« Last Edit: 2012-06-23 23:43:50 by Leonhart7413 »

archerxtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2012-06-24 16:50:13 »
In this price that's what -I suppose- is initially intended by most on line gaming distributing services (like BloodShot significantly noted the "re-selling" instead of "re-making" issue)... exactly what already happened with psn. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not an expert on this subject but that's what I expect to get for 9.99 anyway... :) That's the reason I'm usually ignoring such news and prefer to stick to this forum's updates which apparently offer much wealth yet to satisfy our ff hunger... Personally I'm curious enough to see how Q-gears will evolve instead... hmmm ;)
I'm with you on that. 'Sides what's the use of playing with those lego blocks anyway. And even if they take the mods made here in qhimm, i may have a teensy-bit of a problem with paying for something people here (and someday me) made for shared entertainment.

Lubis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2012-06-24 18:20:46 »
This might be a dumb question.  But if you bought FF7 off of Steam and installed it, would you even be able to mod it like you can with a copy of the original PC version?

I'm sure the process would be a little different in any case.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2012-06-24 18:58:38 »
It really depends how much they changed, what mods you're trying to install, etc. Assuming it's based on the original PC release and they don't encrypt anything, most lgp mods would work fine. exe mods might need reworked for the new version of the application.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2012-06-25 19:32:11 »
If they do release it on Steam it might be an attempt to gain some quick dough but why don't they just release another mmorpg as they claimed 'Final Fantasy XI is the most profitable FF ever' here:
http://www.maxconsole.com/cgi-bin/maxconsole/rknewz.pl?function=detail&id=RKLS00000010745&cat=GENERAL (figured i share it here) which i don't really get, or maybe this was done for fans request? which is good of course

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2012-06-25 20:31:11 »

AFAIK, GoG used Killap patches in their version of Fallout 2 without his knowledge.

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2012-07-02 23:40:46 »
They will not improve the graphics, check out Sonic CD, got standard ones!  They need the source code for replacemment lot`s of things (return to midi?(Scare). If that so, it`s a disapointment.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2012-07-02 23:49:34 »
They will not improve the graphics, check out Sonic CD, got standard ones!  They need the source code for replacemment lot`s of things (return to midi?(Scare). If that so, it`s a disapointment.
Sonic CD had some new graphics; Tails' art was a combination of Sonic 2 sprites and a few new ones for poses that he didn't have in Sonic 2 (IIRC, they were made specifically for that remake by SonicRetro.org member Chimpo, but I'm not positive about this one).

Steffe

« Reply #45 on: 2012-07-04 13:17:30 »
Well, looks like it wasn't a false registration at least ;p It's official, although not a HD release.

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2012-07-04 13:42:11 »
Ooh, trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qr4TgU4SKLc

FMVs look like they may have been upscaled.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2012-07-04 13:47:45 »
Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64-bit) • 2GHz Processor or faster • 1GB RAM • DirectX 9-compatible graphic card

Yup, these are higher requirements alright. I'm a bit concerned that every official reference appears to be to Europe; I see no sign of a US release.

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Last Edit: 2012-07-04 13:54:18 by myst6re »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2012-07-04 14:04:38 »
So basically they've put in a minimal amount of effort to add useless features like achievements, cloud saves and a basic trainer . . .
Maybe they've also added robust copy protection and anti-modification systems to make the purchase worthwhile.