Author Topic: making a playable CD  (Read 4539 times)

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
making a playable CD
« on: 2005-10-02 12:09:39 »
ive been playing FFvii on my pen drive but its got no movies and low resolution,
so ive been thinking of putting th game on a DVD and runnign the save gams off my pen drive or a floppy disk,
but im not sure how to tell the game to search for the save files on either of the other drives since the install info is in regestry settings and i dont want to reinstall the reg setting every time i want to play

any easy way to get round this?

also off subject has anyone got the roms from the mobile phone games? i know they go online but would be a start

Phyltre

• View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-02 16:39:49 »
This won't last too long.

Everything you've said breaks some rule or another.

People around here hate downloading, especially of non-bought software.  Expect your level description to change anytime now.  And I wouldn't expect too much help with the questions you asked.

Jedimark

• View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-02 16:53:21 »
I tried to put FFVII all on the one DVD, but failed. I'm not sure if it's possible actually, I assume it's because each disk is labelled differently and there is a check everytime you load a save game (or start a new game etc) that the correct disk number is in (and obviously a DVD only has one disk label).

Sad Jari

making a playable CD
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-02 16:59:38 »
Jedimark: Does making images of the discs and using Daemon Tools - or something similar - to mount them from a DVD count as a possibility? :wink:

I know that you didn't mean it like that, and mounting the images is bit annoying, but it's at least bit more convenient than playing around with several discs.

Jedimark

• View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-02 17:06:39 »
Yeah, that is a possibility. It's annoying actually, I've just moved to London so most of my possessions are still at my family home and I didn't bring FFVII down with me because it was 4 disks (shocking I know) but now after watching Advent Children I find myself wanting to play it again. :evil:

Think I'll pick up the PS next time I'm home...

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-02 17:39:23 »
I suppose you could technically "run" it from DVD using Daemon tools, and mounting the individual ISO's whith the DVD in the drive, but other than that, im semi certain an "all in one" disc wouldnt work, as Mark said, due to the CDChecks.

mogster

• View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-02 19:12:56 »
I HAVE done it, but you can't save... I even made autorun screen with Autorun Pro eneterprise.

Jedimark

• View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-02 22:02:15 »
Quote from: mogster
I HAVE done it, but you can't save... I even made autorun screen with Autorun Pro eneterprise.

Suuuuure you have. Seriously what are you on? 2 days and 2 warnings, that's impressive. Advent Children "patch", texture zooming.. what else are you going to come up with?

SSVegetto

• View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-03 00:49:27 »
Quote from: Jedimark
Quote from: mogster

Suuuuure you have. Seriously what are you on? 2 days and 2 warnings, that's impressive. Advent Children "patch", texture zooming.. what else are you going to come up with?

lol, I'm trying to figure out where he got his second warning. Nevermind I found it, he was warned for correcting someones spelling mistake. I thought it would be bigger then that.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
making a playable CD
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-03 11:28:17 »
Just to remind you;
FF7.exe also runs a CDcheck.exe.
They both look in the registry for the DATADRIVE key under HKLM\SQUARE SOFT INC\FINAL FANTASY VII\...
That is the drive letter which FF7 was installed from.
That is if FF7 is a Full Install it will only search for the movies in that drive letter/path.

Now, it also checks the CD LABEL to see if it matches the disk FF7 is looking for, ie: FF7DISC1 , FF7DISC2.

I have previously made a folder called MOVIES and copied the MOVIES folder to it, LABELLED the harddrive "FF7DISC1" and changed the reg key to point to "E:\" and it works.

I have also just used a RAMDISK called FF7DISC2 and with nothing it in and I can just get past the eidos screen by hammering the OK button on the gamepad (of course in game might hang if it is looking for a vital video).

SO it IS possible to have a FLASHDRIVE or portable drive with all your FF7 Movies on it, and say keep a batch file for renaming that drive to what ever CD FF7 is looking for, if you are like me and dont want to always be putting in the FF7 CD when you want to play ff7.

-----

EDIT: BTW this was all done on win98 I think, was a few years back now.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
making a playable CD
« Reply #10 on: 2005-10-03 13:54:52 »
thanks guys, im thinkign the batch file on bootup might be best, il have a look into it