Author Topic: [In Development] FF8 Voiceover Project  (Read 106582 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [Auditions Open] FF8 Voiceover Project
« Reply #25 on: 2014-05-15 03:42:06 »
Only one person has hit a character dead on so far, and that character isn't Squall.
Having listened to the public auditions on BTVA, I suspect I know who it is (and no, I don't think it's me).

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-05-15 04:35:23 »
Having listened to the public auditions on BTVA, I suspect I know who it is (and no, I don't think it's me).

Well you could try to give your voice to Irvine to accompany that person. It's only a guess of me but I think you could capture his cool facade and his childish behavior he has, when he is creating with Selphie the 'Dynamic Duo'.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #27 on: 2014-05-15 12:09:02 »
I think Covarr is a good Zell. I'm currently between ArcanusSanctum and Covarr.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-15 12:11:13 by LeonhartGR »

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-05-16 19:05:35 »
I auditioned like yesterday so we'll see if I get it.  I kind of messed up on one line.  Keep your fingers crossed Leon but don't get your hopes up just in case.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-05-16 22:53:10 »
Well you could try to give your voice to Irvine to accompany that person. It's only a guess of me but I think you could capture his cool facade and his childish behavior he has, when he is creating with Selphie the 'Dynamic Duo'.
Y'know, he wasn't initially on my radar. I never actually played past disc 1, and he doesn't show up until fairly late, so I didn't know the character that well. But the more I read of his dialogue, the better an idea I have as to how I'd play him... I'm thinking something like Itsuki Koizumi but with a little more suave, and a little more southern. I may audition for him as well tomorrow morning.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #30 on: 2014-05-16 23:38:09 »
I auditioned like yesterday so we'll see if I get it.  I kind of messed up on one line.  Keep your fingers crossed Leon but don't get your hopes up just in case.

I'm looking forward to listen to it!!!

...a little more southern.
I always imagined his accent southern! Thank you Covarr!!!

P.S.: I want to believe that people rush on Squall lines because of the file size or time limit... Certainly those lines are never supposed to be told in such rush...
« Last Edit: 2014-05-16 23:42:45 by LeonhartGR »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-05-17 07:22:49 »
Most of the readings were perfectly paced for Squall. The mod itself is going to be pretty big (I haven't numbered all the sound effects, but I'm guessing there will be close to 4500 sound files packaged with this thing), so I want most of them to be spoken faster rather than slower to make the final download smaller.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #32 on: 2014-05-17 09:48:22 »
I listened to genesis reel. His tone is just perfect for Squall. But fast paced dialogues seem like rushing to just get on with the game... I think a few more seconds will give the game the credibility it deserves.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-17 14:30:03 by LeonhartGR »

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-05-17 17:03:44 »
Yeah I went all natural with my voice so I didn't try to impersonate anyone like that one guy did.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-06-29 21:57:39 »
Posting a little mini-update, mostly because I know LeonhartGR will like it. Shudo actually contacted me, and, long story short, she'll be helping me with the project, as well as bringing some of her people over to do voice work. She's also going to write some dialogue that will be added to the game outside of cutscenes, to give the characters more depth and personality while you're running around otherwise uneventful areas.

The deadline is still a few days away, so nothing is final in terms of who's getting what role (although I have a few people who were nearly perfect in their auditions, and they're not likely to be outdone in the next 2 days).

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #35 on: 2014-06-30 00:58:58 »
I guess by the time my copyright strike expired only good news are popping up! Texture mods for VIII, Shudo on the voice dub... what else! Oh passed some exams lately too. Love you Shard! I'm pretty excited!

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: [In Development] FF8 Voiceover Project
« Reply #36 on: 2014-07-01 20:33:33 »
Awww. I missed auditions.

Oh well.  I guess I'll just have to keep pumping out FF8 mods! ;)

On the topic of action sounds:
We wouldn't necessarily have to replace or re-write script... we could extract the action sounds (gunblade, punches, etc) and then combine them with dubbed voices and then compress the file back down into the game.  This wouldn't be nearly as cheesy as everyone expects - it just takes the right touch.  I'm an audio editor/producer and can really see some of this breathing life into the project if it's handled correctly.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-01 20:40:39 by Mcindus »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-07-01 21:08:57 »
I plum forgot to audition for Irvine, even though after some thought I feel I could've done better at that than the ones I did audition for. Oh well.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-01 23:22:08 by Covarr »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-07-01 21:22:24 »
Curious guys, how will you get these files to play during the game?

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-07-01 23:17:04 »
I'm using Deling to modify the field scripts (the code that controls cutscenes, among other things) to play sound effects as dialog boxes appear. Disc 1 is already fully scripted. I'll be working on the rest of the game for the next few months while we're recording everything.

All I have to do is write an installer for partial field files, or strongarm Myst6re into adding such functionality to Deling (Deling only mass imports full field files. Partial files have to be done individually by hand, and the mod will contain about 1400 of them).

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-07-04 21:47:38 »
I've updated the original post with a partial cast list and a bunch of other information about the project.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #41 on: 2014-07-04 22:28:09 »
Ok you got me there! Christian is OP :)

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-07-05 02:31:33 »
Ok you got me there! Christian is OP :)
Indeed he is. Have you checked his other vids? He's very versatile.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #43 on: 2014-07-06 01:37:46 »
I've been familiar with Christian's work since his dancing videos ;-) That makes me old... agh!

« Last Edit: 2014-07-06 01:46:00 by LeonhartGR »

SirCabbage

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-07-06 04:21:11 »
Gah- I am really sad I missed the auditions. I may have never even attempted voice acting before, but I would have loved to try and get the part of Laguna. He is my favourite FF8 character.. I love how no matter where he is, under what pressures, he always stays true to who he is. He is a damn goofball and doesn't really care about that fact. Despite the fact he is Squall's dad he is essentially the exact opposite of him. Squall is never true to his own feelings and tries to hide them, while Laguna wears them on his chest like a badge of honor.  Oh well, chances are I couldn't have worked out a good enough way to record my voice to even come close to getting the part anyway. But I could always dream

Edit: Gah, I see that the main page has been updated to show that someone has gotten the role. Oh well, my fault for missing the audtions, shame though.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-08 10:24:58 by SirCabbage »

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-08-01 04:53:43 »
As I said in another forum, I'll gladly audition for NORG.... and the Master Fisherman. I don't know how else to be of service besides voice acting but still looks like fun.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #46 on: 2014-08-01 09:30:44 »
Let the dubbing begin!  :mrgreen:

Goth

« Reply #47 on: 2014-08-08 20:31:39 »
Wow, Squall and Rinoa voices are PERFECT!

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-08-13 22:36:36 »
Early preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nufpQDyUW2Q&feature=youtu.be

Once I get Squall and Selphie (they've been busy) to do some scenes, I'm going to make a proper trailer or two.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #49 on: 2014-08-14 00:25:33 »
This is going to be good!!! I'm Excited! Please take care of the voices not to sound too weird... Zell was awesome! :)