Author Topic: [PC] Mod manager - 7thHeaven (v1.54)  (Read 486861 times)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: 7thHeaven
« Reply #275 on: 2013-08-10 04:31:32 »
Yes, the same .iro I made of Grimmy's upscaled magic works fine when the folder is "magic" and runs through the modpath.
When I make an iro of this same mod with the folder name "magic.lgp" it hangs at blackscreen the same way it did when it had problems with case-sensitivity.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #276 on: 2013-08-10 04:37:56 »
I don't think that's a fix for this though. Everything in the mod folders are textures. I could try it, but I'd guess it either wouldn't have any effect or the game would get hung again.

Iros

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Files for the file god! Mods for the mod throne!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 2013-08-10 07:49:19 »
Yes, the same .iro I made of Grimmy's upscaled magic works fine when the folder is "magic" and runs through the modpath.
When I make an iro of this same mod with the folder name "magic.lgp" it hangs at blackscreen the same way it did when it had problems with case-sensitivity.

Are they TEX files or PNGs?

PNG files don't go inside LGPs, the basic game doesn't know anything about them. They're loaded by Aali's driver, which is why you have to put them in a folder named however the driver wants them - e.g. 'magic' for the magic textures, 'menu' for menu textures, etc.

I don't think that's a fix for this though. Everything in the mod folders are textures. I could try it, but I'd guess it either wouldn't have any effect or the game would get hung again.

If you just put the textures in folders, does the game run, and does it pick up the new textures?

Basically what I am trying to work out is whether it's a problem replacing stuff in magic.lgp generally, or whether it's specifically only when you pack it into a iro file. I think probably the first, but need to find out.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 2013-08-10 08:12:12 »
Oh... I see. :roll: I knew that somewhere but I just spaced out. My instinct was of course to run them through the modpath because they are PNGs.

There's this whole other file structure I'm looking at now:

Stuff that ends up in a textures folder after bootleg, but you obviously already set this up. They are also PNGs tho, so maybe not related to cmh's issue with magic.lgp mods--I'm not sure I even have any TEX mods for the magic.lgp to test with.
I guess what I'll do is decode a vanilla magic.lgp into an iro and see if I can make it override the modpath upscaled ones that I have working at the moment.

Edit: Fail. vanilla magic.lgp into an iro made the .iro file the right size it seems but failed to black screen on launch first try, but I'm going to try the test again to make sure I didn't pack the iro wrong... used uLGP .7 to decode magic.lgp. it has tons of p files tex files, rsd files, all kinds of crap. I know the decode is right, though, that's what bootleg uses to decode lgps.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-10 08:35:37 by Template »

Iros

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 2013-08-10 08:36:09 »
OK, but if you put those same files into a folder and run it through 7thHeaven, does that crash too? Any error messages different?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 2013-08-10 08:49:32 »
K, I'll do that next, just want to report rq tha when I packed the .iro without a Title folder, it did not crash with that iro loaded.
So on my first attempt I made the .iro from a Folder structure that went: VanillaMagicTextures\magic.lgp\*.* this iro compiled but crashed on launch
Second attempt: I made an .iro from a Folder that was simply titled "magic.lgp" and contained the rest of the files and folders. That iro did not crash on launch. It is difficult to tell if it worked properly. It did not (at first glance) appear to replace any of the hi-res textures that were set up in my modpath. There is some relationship between magic textures and the textures folder in the main game directory.
I'll go do that other test you wanted rq.
Edit: That test went exactly the same way. If I imported from folder the "magic.lgp" folder directly:

That works (I guess?) It boots the game fine anyway.

If I try to import from folder a title folder that contains the actual "magic.lgp" folder in it (like VanillaMagicTextures\magic.lgp\*.*) then I get blackscreen launch.

« Last Edit: 2013-08-10 08:55:54 by Template »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 2013-08-10 09:02:53 »
Magic.lgp is a special case. It's not like the other LGP files. The LGP tool often stumbles when extracting the file "sky_b.tex" from magic.lgp. It sometimes places this file in the root of the drive rather than in the destination folder.

Placement of the magic texture PNG's in the mods folder is also anomalous. Some of the textures go directly in the mods folder (e.g., ".\mods\Bootleg\") while the rest reside in ".\mods\Bootleg\Magic\" and it's subfolders.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 2013-08-10 09:10:44 »
I always found it puzzling the original upscaled Limit Break texture is found in FF7\textures\limit\limit and must be copied to the mods\bootleg\magic folder and overwrite jo_o3etc.png to get it to work. Whats with all the stuff in textures after bootleg? Some Summon textures are there... but only the ones that seem like magic type files lol.

Anyway, bootleg is frikkin brilliant... and my life is complete now that I understand why sky_b.tex always ends up in my C drive after bootleg. Was a puzzle I was afraid to ask about. PB, do you have any explanation for the weird sound output after bootleg? It seems unrelated to the New SFX. I'm getting sfx out of only one side with certain midi setups. Even if you set it up totally normal there's hardly any center channel being used it's almost always one side or the other. No bootleg, I think this problem goes away... baffling.
Maybe it's something about using the old files somewhere.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 2013-08-10 10:01:31 »
The sfx are playing from the wrong speakers? I've never had that issue.
Is the midi playing correctly?
Bootleg does modify the FF7MUSIC.ini file. A mistake in that file could affect the midi, but would likely have no effect on the sfx.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 2013-08-10 10:13:40 »
I swear, it must have something a little to do with Timidity and the huge_pats, too. I never really noticed this issue too much, either, but Kaldarasha was the one that pointed it out. If you start looking into the recent Timidity thread and the whats up with the sound thread, you'll maybe see what we're talking about, but it's a bit shadowy at the moment. With latest Timidity I linked to working right with MIDI Yoke (very important), and sound levels adjusted in windows mixer... the sound effects start to do weird things... until you just to a base install no bootleg, then it sounds great. What did you do to the INI file? never woulda thought to look there. I'm all over it, next week.

Anyway, the MIDI files play fine but they restart after every battle, which isn't right, and theres a funny error in the APP.log at the MIDI initialization about volume changing not being supported. THAT has nothing to do with bootleg, I just want you to fix it for me lol

Edit: OK, it's nothing to do with bootleg at all; Timidity synth can't be running while you use ff7Music.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-10 11:38:12 by Template »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 2013-08-10 11:51:40 »
Yeah, there is defiantly something wrong with the sound system. Installing Timidity and Midi Yoke fixes at last some problems where the sound channels effect each other and it fixes the problem where the sound gets louder and louder when he actually should be stay on a middle volume level. The first reactor is a good place to test this. Start the game without FF7Music, play to a scene, where you can here the sound of the reactor (first scene after the elevator). If you now move the cursor in the menu, the sound of the cursor will effect the background sound which is now a bit quieter (I guess it is then around 60%). After a while the sound will getting louder and louder to the max volume. However after installing Timidity and Midi Yoke these issues are gone. Tough I do not use Timidity after all, but I guess using Midi Yoke as Midi player in the config has fixed the sound.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 2013-08-10 14:02:03 »
I don't notice a sound issue and I play with a surround sound system so I'm sure I would. I'm not even sure I know what Timidity is. I load Anxious Heart original through bootleg and it works great, basically just remastered version of the original music.

As for the magic file with the textures, maybe using a bootleg file (mine goes mods\bootleg) with the files and subfolders you want may work. I'm trying to actually load lgp files though using a magic.lgp folder. I did an .iro and an unwrapped folder, with a few summoning models and then just one, and it always crashes right away. I post the app log earlier, it doesn't say much, and 7thheaven doesn't give me an error. So I know it's the magic.lgp, I just cant say why.

Iros

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 2013-08-10 19:24:33 »
v1.09:  https://mega.co.nz/#!OQRg2AZS!bgWqI2mc7EVylp2CQHUtRSBLq0skaklaD7EHbxTs180

-Add CounterRnd variable to allow setting counter to a random number
-Fix crash when download from Mega URL fails
-Fix crash calculating paths for magic.lgp folders

As expected the code for magic.lgp was completely broken ... not sure why nobody got error messages, because I did, but anyway - it should now be fixed.

Certainly the game runs now if I try to override magic.lgp - but please test it to make sure all your mod files actually get applied.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 2013-08-10 19:39:02 »
Thanks Iros :) I feel a bit guilty reporting stuff on 7thHeaven and you have a fix the next day or same day EVERY time... But I try to make myself feel better by imagining you are doing this at work and getting paid for it lol  ::)

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 2013-08-10 19:41:00 »
Thanks Iros, looks good now. Loads the Phoenix and anything else I put into the magic.lgp.

I notice though that when I open 7theaven and go to the library tab the mods in the library folder don't show up right away. So far the only way I've gotten them to return is to hit Import and then cancel. Not sure why but they're all suddenly there. Before that I was actually reimporting things each time, which resulted in multiple entries. I hit cancel the last time and found everything reappears.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-10 22:10:25 by cmh175 »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 2013-08-11 04:09:46 »
Edit: nvm figured out what I was doing wrong. If you reinstall FF7 your imported mods will be gone :D
Perhaps behavior of library is related to the files in the Users\*.*\7thWorkshop folder.
I usually delete them when I put a new version of 7thHeaven on.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-11 04:14:16 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 2013-08-11 04:38:10 »
I'm not horribly sure all of what you said lol, feel I've missed something. Not sure, but hitting import and cancel always fixes it, so it's nothing to really worry about. The version and release date info doesn't seem to actually come from the xml though. I have one that says version 1.05 and a release date of three days ago, but it always says version 1.00 and what ever date the mod was added to the library. Again, not a big deal, but it would help differentiate mod files during testing if that shows in 7thheaven.

Has anyone tried the random battle model feature yet? I'm doing some testing and it's not working as I expected. Has anyone had any results with this yet? I'm wondering if my file structure isn't correct. Although I'm using similar directories as I have before, just using the conditional folder and run time var commands instead.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 2013-08-11 04:56:37 »
I'm not horribly sure all of what you said lol, feel I've missed something. Not sure, but hitting import and cancel always fixes it, so it's nothing to really worry about. The version and release date info doesn't seem to actually come from the xml though. I have one that says version 1.05 and a release date of three days ago, but it always says version 1.00 and what ever date the mod was added to the library. Again, not a big deal, but it would help differentiate mod files during testing if that shows in 7thheaven.

If you delete these, I think your weird library issue will go away after it sets them back up for you. All you should have to do to refresh your Library is hit the Search button. The release date and version info is kept in the catalog.xml tags but I did notice there was an entry for version on the mod.xml as well, it doesn't seem to transfer over, but I haven't messed with it a lot. The catalog tags for release date and version work great and do transfer over when you import and activate them.

manuchan

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 2013-08-11 06:57:11 »
why isn't the music playing? :(

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 2013-08-11 07:17:00 »
You gotta be more specific. No one can help you without information

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 2013-08-11 07:20:31 »
Under launch also you need to list ff7music.exe. You probably dont have it running when the game starts. Although agreed, more information is necessary.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 2013-08-12 09:35:12 »
Iros--7thHeaven got boring with no bugs in it. Can you add some broken features for me to test? :roll:
The xml is mind-numbing, but it works on everything I try. The only people I know of working on the complex vars are Kaldarasha and cmh175, is there a listing of all the possible variables somewhere? I'm too tired to look through the whole thread, and now I wish I hadn't made so many posts in it. :|

Working slowly on subscription catalog xml... it's getting very very long and hard to edit, I'm concerned about how inconvenient it will be to have 150 different mods pop up in the catalog window. The individual mod.xmls I have in mind are kinda nightmarish in scope. I basically want to write xmls that will allow you to configure a whole bootleg40 clone setup off 1 iro. I don't mean a package that has all the PRP models and this and that--I mean you can actually configure the iro to switch from the PRP package to Kaldarasha's unshaded to Squallff8 to Chibis from 1 installed iro.

***Iros, is it already possible to pack a single iro with multiple copies of the same file that have different data in them? Like, char.lgp1 char.lgp2 char.lgp3 for a config option that will change out a whole lgp file? I want to pack an iro with like 15 different char.lgps and 15 different battle.lgps.

I really don't want to put it up until I am pretty much done with it so I can take a break when I am ready instead of testing and changing it after it's been posted. So the 2 days thing was obviously a pipe dream. DLPB has set October for a tentative release of Menu Overhaul. I plan to have a live subscription catalog running sometime in September, and when Retranslation is released, the flevel (mode changer) mods will start to get put up.

Iros

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 2013-08-12 10:27:05 »
he only people I know of working on the complex vars are Kaldarasha and cmh175, is there a listing of all the possible variables somewhere? I'm too tired to look through the whole thread, and now I wish I hadn't made so many posts in it. :|

If you open the 7thHeaven.var file (Notepad or whatever will work, it is a text file) it lists all the variables I have tested. More can be added easily, just haven't done any others yet because nobody have asked for any other variables.

Working slowly on subscription catalog xml... it's getting very very long and hard to edit, I'm concerned about how inconvenient it will be to have 150 different mods pop up in the catalog window.

That's what tags are for. Really if there actually are 150 mods that all work with 7thHeaven then there really could be 150 results in the catalog screen and you can't do much to hide that; at least if there are sensible tags against them it's easy to only view one type of mod, or whatever.

***Iros, is it already possible to pack a single iro with multiple copies of the same file that have different data in them? Like, char.lgp1 char.lgp2 char.lgp3 for a config option that will change out a whole lgp file? I want to pack an iro with like 15 different char.lgps and 15 different battle.lgps.

Sure, that's what config options are for. They let you turn folders in the mod on/off. The wrapper doesn't really care whether the folder you turned on has char.lgp with 10 files in it, or with 1000 files in it, it works just the same.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 2013-08-12 10:39:28 »
Sure, that's what config options are for. They let you turn folders in the mod on/off. The wrapper doesn't really care whether the folder you turned on has char.lgp with 10 files in it, or with 1000 files in it, it works just the same.
I get it. So much for 150 mods in the catalog. There will be like 15 and those will spread out into hundreds of options. :evil:

Iros

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 2013-08-12 10:50:00 »
The real issue with that is that you have to download the whole iro file before configuring which one you want - if you have 10 separate mods, at least you're only downloading the one(s) you're interested in. If you pack all 10 into a 1GB iro file, then you end up downloading them entire thing even if you really only wanted one particular set of models.

I don't know what other people prefer, but I'd rather have lots of smaller mods, than 15 huge ones that each take a lot longer to download. It makes it a lot easier to just try things out.