Author Topic: Final Fantasy 8 Translating  (Read 28151 times)

YarYar

• View Profile
    • http://deers.ini.hu
Final Fantasy 8 Translating
« on: 2003-10-11 17:07:28 »
Hi! I'm a hungarian guy who want to translate the FF8 to hungarian language. I have a question. How can I edit the FF8's Battle Texts, Menus, Tutorials, etc.? With Qhimm's Garden program I can edit the field text data but I want to translate the whole game. Please help!

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-11 18:25:21 »
To the best of my understanding Garden was somewhat incomplete... It worked and all, but had bugs.. consider it like an alpha release.. I didnt think that it would edit all that stuff.. I thought it was just for the field text...

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-11 18:55:44 »
Yes, the Garden is incomplete. But there is no other way to translate the battle texts and the others?

DeadLajik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-11 23:13:15 »
If I recall correctly the text inside the Ff8 data files jumps around a lot.  Also, does Hungarian use special characters ? These may not be supported.

Ofcourse you can translate it.. but its going to require a lot of work with a hex editor.

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-12 07:36:35 »
Except the "Ő" the FF8 support all the hungarian character. Which file contains the texts? If I must make with hexedtior, I make with that.

And another question. How can I decompress-edit-compress the background images of the FF8 if I want to redraw them.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-12 09:43:58 »
Here, in poland we're trying to translate FF8 too, but it's not our (FF7PL) team ;). AFAIK they know how to translate menu and few other things. They've enhanced Garden too. Maybe I can catch their project coordinator's email, and contact him with you ;)

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-12 11:55:50 »
Oh, man! Please make it! I need that Garden :) The hungarian peoples will be very happy and your name goes to the FF8 Hungarian Translator Team's Credits list.

If you don't understand what I want to say, it's because i don't speak english very vell. Sorry!

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-12 13:55:32 »
Me too :P. But I have to disappoint you. The only change they made this far to Garden is that now it's extracting all files from game. And still they don't know how to import translated files (eg. Menu) to game.

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-12 14:46:45 »
No problem. I know few hungarian programmers who very clever. Perhaps we could make it. Two cleverer than one. How can I get it?

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2003-10-14 15:26:47 »
Finally :D. I wrote a program to manage archives in FF8. It can extract and import files to them. Link Here. I translated it to English, but leaved Help menu in Polish, cause I don't have time now :P. Hope this will help you translate the game ^^.

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2003-10-14 16:36:48 »
You'r the best, man! Very thanks and of course your name goes to the credits list. At Saturday i refresh my page and write your name. Then I write here the link if you want to visit it. But it's hungarian.

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2003-10-14 17:11:55 »
I tried out your program. It's working! BUT. I can decompress the data files, but i can't edit them. The files full of incomprehensible letter. I can't find the text anywhere. Where is it and how can i edit them?

Here is a picture from the hungarian version. It's now 60% complete (60% of the field text data). If you want to see it.

[/img]

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2003-10-14 18:54:47 »
Great job man! Glad I could help :). As for the dialogs... They're of course in field.fs. There are sereral (900) archives in it, and in them, you can find .msd files. In this files, you can see some text, but it's completely unreadable. It's because small characters are "shifted" by 2 letters (for eg. a means c), and big characters are shifted by 5 letters back (X means T). Maybe I'll write a program for editing dialogs from single files if I'll find a while or two :).

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2003-10-14 19:52:37 »
The upper translation made with the Garden. But if my understanding good, the battle texts and the menus are unreadable, too. Why the Squaresoft hide the datas?

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2003-10-14 20:11:59 »
I don't now, I'm new to FF8 :P. You have to check that ;). If I'll find more time, I'll search for that :).
Edit: Oh, forgot to add: In FF7 menu texts were in .exe file. Try to search for them there ;).

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2003-10-15 14:12:14 »
Ok, I'll try. And thanks for the so much help! Please inform me if you find something.

« Reply #16 on: 2003-10-16 02:08:38 »
IIRC, the Menu text is all in kernel2.bin. The file is LZS compressed. However, you can already edit all of it with Cosmo--just use the "Internal Editor" tool.

M4v3R: Very cool. I going to have to check out this new FF8 archive editor of yours.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2003-10-16 06:41:57 »
Srethron: You're talking about FF7 and we're talking about FF8 :P.
BTW, my program has a bug - if you replace a file that is compressed, it'll ruin all files after it. I've repaired it, and here it is:
Link
I still didn't tested it in-game, I've only checked if Eight is able to extract all files from archive I changed.

« Reply #18 on: 2003-10-17 00:16:40 »
Oops. Sorry.

my program has a bug

Could be why it was corrupting my install every time. ;) I'll try the new version.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2003-10-17 06:26:42 »
If you have problems then tell me, ok ? :).

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2003-10-17 14:22:33 »
M4V3R: I viewed the .exe file and found some readable word but the menus not there (or I not found it). And another request. I I finished off the FF8, will you help me out in the FF7 translating, too?[/b]

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2003-10-17 17:51:00 »
Can you paste here some of this text in exe ? :).
And of course, I can help you with FF7, it's no problem :).

YarYar

• View Profile
Final
« Reply #22 on: 2003-10-17 18:27:59 »
This from the top of the file:

> ? O S T ^ h v w x ˆ “ ˇ ¤ ˝ ľ Â Ř =FbktyšŻąÎăË™*-@˙˙btitle.ovl  kernel.bin  sysfnt.tdw  icon.tim    namedic.bin   üčPű4  Ãœ°4 €  â‚¬Ë™  Ë™â‚¬  â‚¬   y:\battle\work\btlmusic\btlwave.dat y:\battle\work\btlmusic\btlmusic.dat    Dec  1 1999 13:55:42     %x SAVEDATA    SAVEDATA    SAVEDATA    OFF  ON OK  OK  OK  OK  R2 INIT R1 PC SAVE  L3 PAST L2 DEBUG    L1 PC LOAD  SCENE   %3d TIME    %3d RATE100 %s  AP*10   %s  EXP*10  %s  DOGOUT  %s  ODIN    %s  FORMATION   %s  WITCH   %s  X_ITEM  %s  X_MAGIC %s  X_GF    %s  X_DRAW  %s  X_COMMAND   %s  X_PINCH %s  X_RESURRECT %s  CHOCOBO %s  CHOCOBO LEVEL   %3d CHOCOBO WAZA    %3d MOGURI  %s  RANNYU1 %s  RANNYU2 %s  RANNYU3 %s  PET5    %s  PET6    %s  PET7    %s  PINCH   %s  GILGAMESH   %s  SQUALL FB   %s  scene   music   wave    namedic start   party   autoload    pinch   bg_debug    readwait    vibration   print   bdprint triple  double  rate    logic   rnddamage   damage  limit   kernel  icon    tdw sound   command on  off all auto    manual  normal  rftpath rftpath1    logpath menupath    scenefile   init    $dummy1 $   $dummy2 kernel.bin  \ff8\data\batdata   \\GORO\ff8\master2_1_99\ff8btl\ff8\battle\work\batdata      scene.out   init.out    sysfnt.tdw  icon.tim    y:\battle\work\btlmusic\btlmusic.dat    y:\battle\work\btlmusic\btlwave.dat namedic.bin harata.cnf  \ff8\data\batdata   scene.out    

This from the center of the file:
 Keyboard
   1. "Select"   %i
   2. "Exit"     %i
   3. "Misc"     %i
   4. "Menu"     %i
   5. "Toggle"   %i
   6. "Trigger"  %i
   7. "RotLt"    %i
   8. "RotRt"    %i
   9. "Start"    %i
   10. "Select"   %i
  11. "Up"       %i
  12. "Down"     %i
  13. "Left"     %i
  14. "Right"    %i
  Joystick
   1. "Select"   %i
   2. "Exit"     %i
   3. "Misc"     %i
   4. "Menu"     %i
   5. "Toggle"   %i
   6. "Trigger"  %i
   7. "RotLt"    %i
   8. "RotRt"    %i
   9. "Start"    %i
   10. "Select"   %i
  11. "Up"       %i
  12. "Down"     %i
  13. "Left"     %i
  14. "Right"    %i

Codes

NONE    %s   %i
    \MENU\  %sicon.tim  c:%s    Å™Å¼Å¡ŐL‡7          C  HC          â‚¬?I’d?          Â C  bC   C   C  â‚¬?  â‚¬?   C   C   D  Ä‘C           @   @      â‚¬A  Â C  HC        6”W?I’d?          Å”C  bC  C   C  â‚¬?  â‚¬?  C   C   D  Ä‘C        UUŐ?   @      â‚¬AÅ•]¸  Å”  Å» Ö Ř Å® Ú Å° Ãœ Ý Å¢ ß Å• á â ă ä ĺ  !"#$%&'()*+012345678   vibrate.vib C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkbtl\asm_tkbtl.cpp  icon.sp1    vibrate.vib C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\psmescon\asm_psmescon.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\psmescon\asm_psmescon.cpp    packcode.bin    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tklib\asm_tklib.cpp  mngrphd.bin face.sp2    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    magsort.bin mwepon.bin  mmag.bin    mthomas.bin areames.dc2 mmagic.bin  mitem.bin   areames.dc1 mmag2.bin   cyocobo.bin m000.bin    m001.bin    m002.bin    m003.bin    m004.bin    m000.msg    m001.msg    m002.msg    m003.msg    m004.msg    mitem.bin   pet_exp.bin pet_exp.msg shop.bin    price.bin   mitem.bin   mwepon.bin  mwepon.msg  mmag.bin    cardanm.sp2 mtmag.bin   C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\eng\tkmenu\asm_tkmenu.cpp       Reset Game  Quit Game   ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙   Å•@ €AB'°B:PCNxCSÅ”C\    â‚¬  â‚¬ Å•     €Å•    â‚¬Å• menumain.ovl    menucfg.ovl menupty.ovl menusts.ovl menuabl.ovl menushop.ovl    menuext.ovl menuitem.ovl    menumgc.ovl menugf.ovl  menujnc2.ovl    menusav.ovl menucrd.ovl menututo.ovl    menutmag.ovl    menutips.ovl    menutest.ovl    mngrp.bin   init.out    mngrp.bin      ţ•;Ä‘:9^.ű9Å¡Å¡Å¡9Å‚(:– n:F Åš:Å¡Å¡Å¡:˙˙ :Ä‘::^.ű:Å¡Å¡Å¡:˙˙ :– n:F Åš:Å¡Å¡Å¡:       â‚¬Ř    â‚¬Ř C:\FF8\Menu\katano\menu_vram.cpp    C:\FF8\Menu\katano\menu_vram.cpp    \MENU\  %smag15.tim %smag16.tim %smag17.tim %smag18.tim %smag19.tim %spad0000.tim   c:%s    %spad0001.tim   c:%s    %spad0100.tim   c:%s    %spad0101.tim   c:%s    %spad0200.tim   c:%s    %spad0201.tim   c:%s    %smc00.tim  %smc01.tim  %smc02.tim  %smc03.tim  %smc04.tim  %smc05.tim  %smc06.tim  %smc07.tim  %smc08.tim  %smc09.tim  %sstart00.tim   c:%s    %sstart01.tim   c:%s    %sface1.tim C:\FF8\Menu\katano\menu_vram.cpp    %shires\Face_b00.tim    c:%s    %shires\Face_b01.tim    c:%s    %sface2.tim C:\FF8\Menu\katano\menu_vram.cpp    %shires\Gf_big00.tim    c:%s    %shires\Gf_big01.tim    c:%s    %smag00.tim %smag01.tim %smag02.tim %smag03.tim %smag04.tim %smag05.tim %smag06.tim %smag07.tim %smag08.tim %smag09.tim %smagita.tim    %smag10.tim %smag11.tim %smag12.tim %smag13.tim %smag14.tim c:%s    ÄâĐCâĐâĐâĐCâË›   Ęš; áő€–˜ @B  † '  Ä  d  
          0123456789ABCDEF        )&'($ #%A_[\]lmnoq                  C:\FF8\tools\menutools.cpp  rb  C:\FF8\tools\menutools.cpp  wb  ******Can't Open File for writing  
   ******Error writing
    %s%s    C:\FF8\tools\menutools.cpp  C:\FF8\tools\menutools.cpp  C:\FF8\tools\menutools.cpp        `Ë™    F ŁţF   F Łţş˙  ÅŸË™ÅÅ£ÅŸË™  ÅŸË™ÅÅ£F   UU 0˙˙ 0˙˙ 0˙˙ 0˙˙ 0EE

I hope it'll be engough  :lol:

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2003-10-18 07:30:07 »
So menu texts aren't here, and this keyboard... You can check that if you change some of these texts - will it change in game in controls menu ?
Some text (there are 17Kb's of it) can be found in .msg files within menu archive. They're encoded with the same method as dialogs. I can read there text's like:
"Silences Echo Screen", "Thundaras Dynamo Stone", "G2Returners Dragon Fang", "refines into ..." or "Reverse Revive party member from KO". But still I can't find words "Junction", "Item" and others from menu...

Edit: Found it! It's in mngrp.bin from menu archive. Encoded with same method. I can read there "Item Item Menu Magic Magic Menu GF Guardian Force Menu" and other ;).

YarYar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2003-10-18 15:19:02 »
Thanks!  There's no a program what make the encode instead of me? It's a hard work.