Author Topic: Editing teh text  (Read 4993 times)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Editing teh text
« on: 2005-04-30 02:58:37 »
Alright boyz, here's the scoop:

My poor, destitute cousin is not allowed to play video games with cussing. No acceptions.  So, when I gave him FF7, he was crestfallen that he could no longer play such an awesome game (his mom found out).  Being the curious programmer that I am, I though to myself, hey, why can't I just edit the text with a hex editor or something, right?  So I asked around at forums.hackthissite.org but, even though everyone thinks they are a hacker there, they are all noobs who suck. So I was looking around in the different data files, with XVI32 but couldn't find anything.  Thats when I found this site (by accident) and got ahold of lgp extractors, etc. and.... COSMO (in-game text editor).  Now you are probably thinking (way ahead of you buddy, just press alt+f,left, enter on "move" and hold left) but you are wrong!  COSMO works wonderfully and I can successfully edit the text.  Now here's where efficiency comes in.  There are like 800 files that I have to root through searching for damn, hell, etc.  and for some reason, some flevel files have the same text in them, and in order for it to work, I have to edit all of them for it to take effect.

Q1.  Do I really have to edit all of them or just one?

Alright, anyways, then I saw the Search/Replace "tool" and though "Sweet, now I can just put * for the files to search type damn for search and dang for replace" and press scan.   BUT GUESS WHAT???  All that happened was a little message saying "Initialising" (ficedula, it's spelled Initializing in case you didn't know, but I've already changed it in the source for myself" And what the gay? nothing happens, I don't think, I haven't waited longer than 10 - minutes.

Q2. Is is broken? If so how can I fix it?

Now at this very moment I will type my third, and most important section. (Sorry that I blab so much, Its just that I hate it when people talk like this (like at hackthissite):

I m a no0b can uhelp me i need help cause iam ano0b?
or
][ /-\ /\/\ /-\ |\|()()|3...
)

OK... *deep breath* *cracks fingers*,  Say I completely change flevel so it is cussword free.  flevel is like 128 mbs before you mess with it and I don't want to have to burn a new ff7 install CD with the modifyed flevel.  My friend at school said something about a patch... and how it is just a file that tells the computer the differences between file1 and file2.  Is it possible to make a swearword patch? Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I know C++ and VB.  

Thank you, This forum ROCKS!!!  It took me a month of uselessly trying to hex-edit lgp file before I found it...

Well thank you... All help is appreciated... Sorry for the lengthy post... heh heh

I LOVE, NOT HATE, LOVE

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Editing teh text
« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-30 10:02:53 »
Hmm isn't the UK version already censored like that? At least the version I have is. :P

Oh, and you've been posting a bit frivolously around the forums. Please don't revive threads, and keep the low-content "I agree" posts to a minimum. Also, you might want to reduce avatar size below 100x100 like everyone else. Thanks.

Borde

• View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-30 10:52:12 »
Don't take me very seriously because I have no idea how the lgp files are organized, but i think that editing the text with COSMO will produce a complet rearrangement of the file. Thus, if you tried to make a patch (an ips file, I supose) it would contai all the the new values of the changed bytes which would be nearly all.
Maybe, if you leave all the strings with the same size, the file won't be rearanged.
Anyway, I haven't played the US version, but the Spanish one was already highly "censored". :-(

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #3 on: 2005-04-30 17:53:57 »
So, could I get a patch for UK, or would I have to buy a whole new version?
I guess I'll try looking around...

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-01 22:54:56 »
Sorry for the double post but...
Obviously I have to buy a whole new UK version of FF7 if I want hta, but I guess what my real question is:

Is it just me, or does my Search and Replace tool on COSMO not work?
Thanks

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-07 15:43:57 »
Hello RPGillespie. If you want to edit texts in FF7, you can use my program - Sapphire. It can dump all dialogs to text files, and there you can use any editor to Search & Replace texts you want.

Sapphire v1.2.9

Be awared: It can't edit Shinra HQ building for now because of some stupid bug in field files.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Editing teh text
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-07 18:21:33 »
Question: Why do people apologize for double-posting in the double-post itself? If you're already aware you're doing something disrespectful at that point, surely it's not such a hard thing to click "back" and "edit" instead...

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-07 20:02:06 »
Sorry, Qhimm, I won't double-post anymore.

Anyways thanks M4v3R: Your program rocks!!!!!
I'll just use cosmo for the Shinra building.  Sapphire works well. Do you have any other programs??

--RPGillespie

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-07 20:31:55 »
Quote from: Qhimm
Hmm isn't the UK version already censored like that? At least the version I have is. :P

It's just the UK version? I don't see why one earthy they'd just censor the UK version; and, if they did, why haven't I heard about it before?

I thought all the PC versions were... "censored" ^^;;

RPGillespie: how old is your friend? If he's over 13 I recomend chinese salt water touture on the mother.

Thanks.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Editing teh text
« Reply #9 on: 2005-05-11 16:01:09 »
@RPGillespie:
I have program named Emerald that can easy unpack/repack LGP archives (it also can pack multiple files at once). Grab it here.
Oh, and I have one program for texture converting (it converts TEX files from FF7 and FF8 files to BMP and vice versa so you can edit graphics in game). It's called Omega. Hope they help.