Author Topic: FF7 on PSP.. Kinda... well, it's a little slow....  (Read 17718 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Found this on youtube.

Here's hoping Sony's PSX emulator is a little quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tO5vzHMYJQ&mode=related&search=

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 on PSP.. Kinda... well, it's a little slow....
« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-05 20:41:45 »
When is Sony's comming out?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-05 21:30:55 »
after the PS3 launch

mcpaper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-13 16:00:41 »
Some people say it is faked/hoax

Any proof on this?

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-11-14 06:05:13 »
You can see the video and decide for yourself.  :-P

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-08 13:01:42 »
Hoax? It's a player-build emulator, isn't it?

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #6 on: 2006-12-15 03:15:58 »
You know what else FF7 is slow on? The PS3! :)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-12-15 12:25:07 »
You know what else FF7 is slow on? The PS3! :)
Yeah I read something about Linus running on a PS3 is equal to Linux running on a p3 700mhz due to Linux only being able to use 1 core of the cell proc. (I have no idea what linux distro though, probably a heavier one with GUI)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-12-26 00:56:17 »
Some of you know that you can download a handful of PSX games from the playstation store via your PS3 right?
These can then be uploaded to your PSP via Memory Stick.
Some guys have hacked the propriatery format used for the game "isos" and put it into a custom firmware for the PSP.

Thats right you can play all PSX games with Sony's own emulation (possibly in the latest update they have included the same PSX emu as the one in the PS3?) all you need is the original CDs/Isos and you can dump them to PC run them through a packer and upload them to your PSP and I did see a video of CSOTN running just like it should.

CAUTION: This involves flashing your PSP with a custom (non sony) firmware and is only for those PSPs that can either play homebrew already or can be downgraded.
Again this process can brick your PSP so don't waste your £179 if you don't know what you are doing.

To find more info go to digg.com and search for "PSP PSX" and find it.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #9 on: 2006-12-26 09:49:34 »
I saw that article. It would seem that selling my PSP may have been a mistake :)

Jari

« Reply #10 on: 2006-12-26 10:22:08 »
Next step for Sony would be to outsource their PR to hackers as well. Since they have already shown that they can and will do what Sony should have done when it comes to emulation, they can't possibly have any worse foot-in-mouth-disease than Sony, either. Then again, deaf and dumb monkey would probably beat Sony when it comes to PR. :P

Seriously though, this almost makes PSP interesting.

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-12-26 18:53:22 »
Well... I bring you some news about this topic. It's been a long time since I was active at this forum. Anyway, in the meanwhile I bought a PSP myself. But let's get to the point.

As Skillster mentioned, except from the Homebrew (User-made) PSX emulator for PSP, there's an official one by Sony going by the name of POPS (available from firmware version 3.0). Now Sony has launched a service where PSP users owning a PS3 are able to download some PSX games in a format launchable by POPS (by paying a price, of course). Let us say at this point that POPS is incomplete (from my point of view) butit  runs at full speed (nothing less expected from the PSone makers, right?).

Yesterday (or was it the day before?) a custom (hacked) version of the 3.02 firmware has been released, coming a tool which enables users to convert their own PSX ISO Images to launchable games and transfer/launch them on PSP without the need of a PS3. Well, check this out for more info on FFVII... it's 100% PLAYABLE!

Note: The tool also allows the user to make a game icon/background picture to be displayed on the PSP menu. In the videos it isn't the same one (logically, because they aren't made by the same person). The second person also forgot to change the game name while converting (you get to see this when he opens the save data folder, 'Hot Shots Golf 2', he forgot changing the name from previous conversions, probably...).

Regards,
Angelo.

PS 1: Here's a PSP wallpaper I've made featuring a not-so-famous shot from the upcoming PSP game Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

I know... I suck at Photoshop :(

PS 2: Hey, Sad Jari, hope you're reading this text, feel free to criticize, I also see there's a spell-checking mod now (You might find it strange, but I've missed you, although all we did last time was quarrel about me saying things I shouldn't say, if you still remember ;) ) By the way, what happened to your post count?
PS 3: halkun, I think I'm in love... with your avatar! MOEEEEEEEEE :D
PS 4: Greetings fly also to Alhexx, Qhimm and all the others I've forgotten!

EDIT: Well, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist to test it myself! It works!!! It's running at FULL SPEED and sound is absolutely fine, too!

EDIT2: Seems like FFVII and FFIX are running at full speed, too!!

EDIT3: Some people claim that the use of the POPStation converter is legal, as long as one owns the original PSX Disc.  :|
« Last Edit: 2006-12-28 20:10:06 by EAngelos89 »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-01-02 13:11:19 »
Use of a modified ROM is illegal.
It is Sony's Proprietary code and if someone has to edit/patch/hack/reverse enginner it then using it makes it illegal and in breach of your EULA (There must be one in the box...).

Of course using an exploit to hijack the system and then play PSX PoPS wouldn't be illegal since sony are allowying you access to run unsigned code (heck that is what a loophole/ security hole is, and there isnt anything in your EULA about evading security..)

So there you are.

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-01-03 12:06:19 »
Use of a modified ROM is illegal.
It is Sony's Proprietary code and if someone has to edit/patch/hack/reverse enginner it then using it makes it illegal and in breach of your EULA (There must be one in the box...).

Of course using an exploit to hijack the system and then play PSX PoPS wouldn't be illegal since sony are allowying you access to run unsigned code (heck that is what a loophole/ security hole is, and there isnt anything in your EULA about evading security..)

So there you are.

I got your point, that is what I thought, too! Thank you for making it clear anyway ;)

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 2007-01-04 13:21:09 »
PS 3: halkun, I think I'm in love... with your avatar! MOEEEEEEEEE :D

Except that it it's not. It's Ayumi Hamasaki, I've been obsessed with her for the last four years now.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-01-05 09:16:33 »
Tell you what, I hate the site of her. She seems to pop up everywhere, she has her own show and does a bunch of commercials.
And I hate her songs...

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007-01-09 15:21:49 »
Except that it it's not.

What do you mean :? I didn't say it was you :P Let's take TheSkillster's avatar as an example. His avatar is Cloud, but he's not Cloud... or is he :wink:?
Anyways, it's a fact that this Ayumi Hamasaki is really hot/cute (moe in Japanese) I'll check out her website although I'm not much into JPop (there are some exceptions though, like Home Made Kazoku). I prefer JRock - but I'm not a great fan of the Visual Kei genre either (although I like most of Dir En Grey's songs).

EDIT: Err... I think we got a bit out of topic here. If anybody has still questions comments on the subject feel free to post them. :)
« Last Edit: 2007-01-11 08:17:08 by EAngelos89 »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-01-11 11:02:38 »
Sorry to go off topic:
Lately I have been listening Rolling Star by Yui, which is also the opening track to Bleach.
Sometimes I listen to stuff from Yamashita Tomoshisa, Kat-tun, Arashi,Tokio etc just depends what I hear and then what takes my fancy as far as jpop is concerned, but there are also some really bad stuff out there from those same artists...

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007-01-11 11:45:26 »
Sorry to go off topic:
Lately I have been listening Rolling Star by Yui, which is also the opening track to Bleach.

I love this opening, too ^^ You know there are a lot of JPop anime OP/ED (Opening/Ending) songs that I like. I also forgot to mention L'Arc~en~Ciel by the way, some of their songs are pretty good :)

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 2007-01-11 12:00:50 »
Oh, I thought "Moe" was a name. (moh-eh) Which I have seen for girls names....

Ayumi isn't for everyone. I will be first to admit this. What makes her so cool, (and also what drives some people up the wall) is her sometimes brutal honesty. She's a product and makes absolutly no quams about being anything else. The issue is that she's such a *good* product. Like it or lump it, her lyrics are really awesome. It's this brutal honesty that makes them shine.

She also has very good happy bubblegum songs that don't mean anything, I like those too.

Some, however, are really emotional.

This is Memorial Address, it's one of my favorite songs. It's about when she learned that her father, who she had only met once in her life, had died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1XdaqkeAw
« Last Edit: 2007-01-11 12:03:58 by halkun »

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007-01-11 17:44:36 »
This is Memorial Address, it's one of my favorite songs. It's about when she learned that her father, who she had only met once in her life, had died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1XdaqkeAw

...I saw the video... it's truly awesome!! Great lyrics and performance!! Wow... and it's from a live concert! She must have a pretty good voice, I mean, although she's crying... you know what I want to say, in such a situation I guess it would be pretty hard to actually sing at all, but her voice comes out beautiful...
Well, I'll keep watching everything else I find on YouTube to see if other songs of her are that great, too!
Anyways, thank you for the link :)
« Last Edit: 2007-01-11 17:52:01 by EAngelos89 »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007-01-15 06:38:48 »
Having watched the opening 30 seconds, she looks a hell lot better with shorter hair and less eye liner/ eye shadow.
But what on earth is up with that red dress  :roll:

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 2007-01-15 07:06:58 »
It was from the previous song... "Teddy Bear"

Wuz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007-01-17 03:37:18 »
make a new thread you clowns!

back on topic:
I just converted FF7 from psx - psp (i'm running the custom firmware)
works very well :)
only one small glitch in battle (not annoying at all) and everything else runs perfect

EAngelos89

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007-01-17 06:02:57 »
only one small glitch in battle (not annoying at all) and everything else runs perfect

:? I don't get any glitches at all on FFVII... I have a few problems with FFVIII, though (like randm\om crashes when summoning the Carbuncle GF)! Anyways, we can say that FFVII is COMPLETELY playable on the PSP now, thanks to Dark_AleX's custom firmware and POPStation converter. :D
« Last Edit: 2007-01-17 16:41:28 by EAngelos89 »