Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4839381 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #9175 on: 2020-04-04 00:37:37 »
I made an interesting observation on the Big Brawl issue. For me at least the animation works, but there is seemingly no damage dealt. Seemingly, because the damage doesn't "pop-up", but I never did check if there actually was damaged dealt without the popup. I no for certain that it did work for me, but stopped working at some point in Midgar. I think it might've worked during my first attempt(s) on the Curator, but on the latter attempts it didn't work anymore.

Then against the little tadpole-like enemies inside the northern cave, I noticed that even though there doesn't appear to be damage dealt, the KO does work. It's a bit glitchy though: The enemies don't disintegrated like they should, the fight just ends with a victory fanfare, there is no sound-effect for the hits, and no damage pop-ups (no numbers.). But the limit definitely works to some degree at the very least.

In case you're addressing this issue, I hope this observation if of some help! :)

Edit: I just found out that it definitely deals damage, it just doesn't show

Yeah I think it's the animation data is broken. Each animation has a hook to show damage numbers, etc. Big Brawl is supposed to have multiple but they don't appear to be working. If you set an attack that has no damage display hooks with actual damage formula, then it won't show anything but it will calculate the damage correctly. Same with adding multi hit to an animation that usually only has 1 hit in it.

Had an issue in the Northern Crater, the room with the save point after you go left and then down iirc, also has an added effect materia that looks really white??

Anyways, I couldn't get Cloud to jump back up after a certain point, no matter what I did. Any ideas?

There is a route back up, but it depends where you are. I would find one of the save points and disable random encounters while you look for the route up, it can be a bit of a round-about way to go. If you reach the bottom there's also a teleport NPC to get back to the Highwind if needed.

As for the white added effect, might either be a missing texture if field model mods are installed or the shine effect on the flevel code messed up.

tl;dr - Is there a way to confirm that I'm actually playing in Arrange Mode?

I'm certain that I picked Arrange Mode when I started my game. And various boss encounters like double Air Bombers and having to fight all three Gunners at once on the Shinra HQ elevator seem to confirm that selection. But I noticed a sharp drop in difficulty after leaving Midgar. At first, I attributed it to unlocking the Rank Up system. Then I got to Jenova VECTOR and was very alarmed when she never summoned her two Vector Node adds. I found an LP of the fight on Youtube that was supposedly using Arrange Mode and v1.5 of the mod where the boss did indeed summon the adds and also seemed to have much more HP than in my own playthrough (15k instead of 10k in mine). Although I noticed that the video I was watching was three years old which makes me wonder if the boss has been tweaked since then in some minor revision that the patch number wasn't incremented for.

So is there any way to be certain that I am indeed still playing Arrange Mode from within the game? Anything at all that would definitely be different? The only theory I have regarding how it could've gotten switched is related to the fact that I initially started playing on normal mode, decided I wanted more of a challenge, started a new save on Arrange Mode, and then shortly after leaving Midgar was right when I saved over those original normal mode save slots with my Arrange Mode playthrough. I have no idea how the mod tracks which mode each save is supposed to be so that's just the only wild guess I have about how a switch might have occurred assuming that the Jenova VECTOR behavior I'm describing isn't normal.

Besides this weird difficulty curve that may be the result of a bug caused by my own actions, I've been mostly loving how the mod makes the game feel fresh and even more polished than the original ever was. Based on what I've seen of Remake, I don't expect half as much out of that, especially given that it's gonna be a trilogy that won't be finished for years.

Some bosses were modified in the last few years and don't carry as much HP, etc. The nodes on Jenova Vector don't always spawn for some reason. Nothing in there would have switched Arrange mode off, so I guess the difficulty dip is to do with boss nerfs and just general flaws in the AI script I used to modify enemy stats on Arrange mode. When you reach Mt. Nibel,

Sega Chief,

Im sorry to dump more onto your desk but...

In the flashback to Shin-ra Mansion, Sephiroths dialogue windows are glitched as he reads up on his origins. Initially, no windows pop up and Sephiroth just paces with a book in hand. If one pushes a button the window(s) pop up for a frame or two and disappear.

I'm running a lot of the mods that come with the 7th Heaven 2.0 program. Please advise

EDIT: I've fixed it! I changed 2 thing so i dunno which worked but the 1st was change Enhanced Stock UI2 - Field Dialogue Style to 'Stock' and the 2nd was DPI compatability in 7th heaven's exe properties :)

PS the piano inputs, some wont work in this flashback. is that by design?

Yeah, that's the menu overhaul; not sure why it does that; for the patch I'm working on I've replaced the field with a vanilla one so that should hopefully be resolved.

The piano inputs should work; maybe some keymaps for the shoulders are off?

Arranged

• View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: 2020-04-04 01:07:45 »
Some bosses were modified in the last few years and don't carry as much HP, etc. The nodes on Jenova Vector don't always spawn for some reason. Nothing in there would have switched Arrange mode off, so I guess the difficulty dip is to do with boss nerfs and just general flaws in the AI script I used to modify enemy stats on Arrange mode. When you reach Mt. Nibel,

"When you reach Mt. Nibel"...? I feel like you were on the verge of answering my question about confirming that I'm definitely still in Arrange Mode but mispasted or something.

After reading some of your recent posts, I noticed that you've been having compatibility issues with ESUI, especially related to the separate "ESUI Controller Addon" mod, which I just happened to install right after leaving Midgar when the symptoms of this problem first emerged. I saw you made a post about how NT won't allow that mod to be active at the same time in the future. I've deactivated both it and ESUI in 7H but am still trying to determine if I need to resume my game from an old save to continue in Arrange Mode.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9177 on: 2020-04-04 02:54:35 »
Oh whoops.

I was going to say, when you reach Mt. Nibel you'll fight a different variant of the Keeper boss compared to normal mode. Sorry about that. ESUI I think can overwrite the flevel, so while the battles are unaffected it will leave you on a default flevel which will definitely cause serious problems the longer it's in there.

Drayenn

• View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: 2020-04-04 04:35:30 »
There is a route back up, but it depends where you are. I would find one of the save points and disable random encounters while you look for the route up, it can be a bit of a round-about way to go. If you reach the bottom there's also a teleport NPC to get back to the Highwind if needed.

As for the white added effect, might either be a missing texture if field model mods are installed or the shine effect on the flevel code messed up.

Yeah but I can't seem to trigger Cloud's jump at like, any point on that screen. Got locked out and had to restart.

Also I think the white shine on the materia is just how it looked.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #9179 on: 2020-04-04 09:20:06 »
The nodes on Jenova Vector don't always spawn for some reason.

I don't think I've ever seen those nodes on Arrange type, but I've only played 1.4 and 1.5 patches.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #9180 on: 2020-04-04 10:13:58 »
tl;dr - Is there a way to confirm that I'm actually playing in Arrange Mode?

I'm certain that I picked Arrange Mode when I started my game. And various boss encounters like double Air Bombers and having to fight all three Gunners at once on the Shinra HQ elevator seem to confirm that selection. But I noticed a sharp drop in difficulty after leaving Midgar. At first, I attributed it to unlocking the Rank Up system. Then I got to Jenova VECTOR and was very alarmed when she never summoned her two Vector Node adds. I found an LP of the fight on Youtube that was supposedly using Arrange Mode and v1.5 of the mod where the boss did indeed summon the adds and also seemed to have much more HP than in my own playthrough (15k instead of 10k in mine). Although I noticed that the video I was watching was three years old which makes me wonder if the boss has been tweaked since then in some minor revision that the patch number wasn't incremented for.

So is there any way to be certain that I am indeed still playing Arrange Mode from within the game? Anything at all that would definitely be different? The only theory I have regarding how it could've gotten switched is related to the fact that I initially started playing on normal mode, decided I wanted more of a challenge, started a new save on Arrange Mode, and then shortly after leaving Midgar was right when I saved over those original normal mode save slots with my Arrange Mode playthrough. I have no idea how the mod tracks which mode each save is supposed to be so that's just the only wild guess I have about how a switch might have occurred assuming that the Jenova VECTOR behavior I'm describing isn't normal.

Besides this weird difficulty curve that may be the result of a bug caused by my own actions, I've been mostly loving how the mod makes the game feel fresh and even more polished than the original ever was. Based on what I've seen of Remake, I don't expect half as much out of that, especially given that it's gonna be a trilogy that won't be finished for years.
Yeah the difficulty curve for arrange mode is kind of weird. I’m still not fully sure why, but I think limit breaks might be part of the reason. I literally one-shotted the Cave of Gi boss with Cloud’s Climmhazard. And Tifa trivialized a lot of midgame boss fights because her limit breaks hit like a freight train. The hard fights were mostly at the beginning of the game (when limits weren’t developed much yet) and at the end of the game (when bosses finally had enough health pools to compensate for the high limit break damage). That all being said, most of the end game boss fights are really great. I don’t want to spoil too much, but a lot of them had awesome mechanics that you couldn’t just brute force your way through and made for really interesting fights.

demos1085

• View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: 2020-04-04 16:57:15 »
Hi Sega Chief and people of the forum.

There has been a long time since I posted here, is nice to see that the project is still goin forward, I just wanted to make a small question.

I remember that in one of the previous posts Sega Chief mentioned the possibility of expanding Aerith's role in the history of the game when you decide to save her, is this possibility still being considered, and if so, have been any progress in that front? 

Ayway keep the good work and stay safe.  :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: 2020-04-05 00:12:07 »
Hi Sega Chief and people of the forum.

There has been a long time since I posted here, is nice to see that the project is still goin forward, I just wanted to make a small question.

I remember that in one of the previous posts Sega Chief mentioned the possibility of expanding Aerith's role in the history of the game when you decide to save her, is this possibility still being considered, and if so, have been any progress in that front? 

Ayway keep the good work and stay safe.  :)

I've decided not to do that; I'm reviewing her dialogue, animations etc. past Disc 1 because it was done pre-1.0 when I was very new to field scripting and likely needs adjustments but I don't think I'd like to add extra scenes, etc. It starts to take the mod in a different direction to where I want it to be when I leave it.

demos1085

• View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: 2020-04-05 00:24:09 »
Oh I see, I would have like to see a little more of her, but just having her back in the party is good.

I wonder if she will have a little better luck in the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, I think I heard a line about "Changing fate" in the trailer, so maybe she is no doomed this time, who knows, anyway that remake is looking awesome.

Thanks for the quick answer and have a nice day.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: 2020-04-06 19:36:45 »
I saw that the Rank Up system is getting tweaked (or at least when the rank ups happen is getting changed), and am curious what changes you have in mind for Ranking Up in 2.0.

I hope it offers more freedom than the current system in 1.5, since it very heavily strong-arms some characters into certain roles, such as Yuffie getting Strength in all of her Rank Ups pushing her into being a physical fighter, while having very few options for raising her defenses (especially her Spirit) or focusing her into being a Mage.

Ayoyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: 2020-04-07 21:47:11 »
recent talks regarding arrange mode give the impression that it's pretty uneven/unbalanced which is turning me off it a bit. Is it more like just nitpicking, with the mode overall still being consistently more challenging than normal or are there problems that might even make it feel easier or something? Is it a good overall experience for someone who above all wants challenge?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: 2020-04-07 23:05:24 »
I saw that the Rank Up system is getting tweaked (or at least when the rank ups happen is getting changed), and am curious what changes you have in mind for Ranking Up in 2.0.

I hope it offers more freedom than the current system in 1.5, since it very heavily strong-arms some characters into certain roles, such as Yuffie getting Strength in all of her Rank Ups pushing her into being a physical fighter, while having very few options for raising her defenses (especially her Spirit) or focusing her into being a Mage.

The system is dropping the +5 flat bonus and instead having stat growths from level ups again. Players pick the bonus they want from the five options as before. If it proves to be messy then I'll put it back to the static stats. The rank options themselves will be reviewed.

recent talks regarding arrange mode give the impression that it's pretty uneven/unbalanced which is turning me off it a bit. Is it more like just nitpicking, with the mode overall still being consistently more challenging than normal or are there problems that might even make it feel easier or something? Is it a good overall experience for someone who above all wants challenge?

Arrange is a bit patchy. The enemies universally get a level boost which ups their damage and some unlock alternate attacks. Some bosses are swapped out with different variants and this is where people have a mixed experience. The Bottomswell replacement was much more difficult than its replacement (it had to be nerfed down), whereas the Gate replacement is said to be easier (that was since buffed a bit). I've overhauled Arrange on the 2.0 build, but I'm also doing a lot of alternate field script scenes which is slowing it down.

If you haven't already, then Gjoerulv's Hardcore mod is a good one to pick up. Challenge runs are also an option (LLNIIENACMO is an interesting one). Challenge mods also exist; I made a mod called True Necrosis that has the player start with 9999/999 on each character but with all sources of healing disabled as a kind of logistical challenge. Gjoerulv also made a challenge mod called Monomod which gives the player every pieces of equipment etc. but locks them to Lv.1 with 1 in each stat (except HP/MP).

Thanks to T.G. in Brazil for the donation; hope things don't get too bad over there.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-07 23:07:34 by Sega Chief »

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: 2020-04-08 00:37:14 »
The system is dropping the +5 flat bonus and instead having stat growths from level ups again. Players pick the bonus they want from the five options as before. If it proves to be messy then I'll put it back to the static stats. The rank options themselves will be reviewed.
That sounds good. As for changing the Rank Up Options, I personally really like Red's choices for Rank Ups. His choices make it very clear and easy to build him as desired without the worry of "wasting" rank ups or feeling like you're not using him right. I think reworking everyone else's Rank Up choices to be similar to Red's would work great.

Another option, if possible, would be to give players the freedom to simply choose how many sources (out of a fixed number per rank up) of whichever stats they want on a Rank Up.

For example:
-Give the players, say, 20 "Points" to "buy" the sources they want for the rank up
-The player "buys" 10 Power Sources, 6 Speed Sources, 2 Guard Sources, and 2 Mind Sources for Tifa

This would especially help later in the game if players find that they didn't invest enough into a party member's defenses early on, while not having to "waste" a Rank Up or two to patch up the low bulk and get stats they don't want to invest in (such as Strength on a Mage character).

Eddiefonzarelli

• View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: 2020-04-08 04:00:31 »
Hi there!

Thanks for taking the time on this mod. It is really quite something. One of the all time greats i think.

Besides that, ive finally made it to the bottom of the crater and was wondering where I missed the Odin Summon. I looked in the "where is the thing".txt and an updated google doxs spreadsheet but neither is specific about any summon materia. Help a brother out as Investigate these reports of newthreats?

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: 2020-04-08 04:32:34 »
The Odin Summon Materia is in the Shinra Mansion in Nibleheim. You need to open the safe to get it. :)

Eddiefonzarelli

• View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: 2020-04-08 07:29:37 »
Thank you very Much. I didnt did nearly enough side questing before the choice to past the point of no return so nows the time.

The difficult, while spiking meanfully at Valiant Clod, was just so perfect i had to keep playing to this point without distraction. I was ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED to this mod and its story changes. So good.

Thanks again

Drayenn

• View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: 2020-04-08 08:31:47 »

To be fair, that's kinda the point to differentiate the characters a bit more. You're not supposed to be able to make anyone do anything, but have them be focused on a few different things. Yuffie isn't meant to be able to be raised as a tank.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: 2020-04-08 10:33:39 »
With the planned changes for Rank Up, and the return of per level stat gains, I guess the concern of Yuffie's Vitality or Spirit deficiency will be less of a point. You'll likely be gaining enough to make her options more comfy. Though, I don't see the point in complaining about building her for full Vitality when she has a passive specialized vs physical attacks.  ???

Also, just want to say take care, everyone.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: 2020-04-08 17:56:01 »
You're not supposed to be able to make anyone do anything, but have them be focused on a few different things.
The fun of customizing mechanics like the Rank Up system is building characters to do something they're normally not meant to do, such as Aerith being a physical attacker or Tifa being your Mage.

Yuffie isn't meant to be able to be raised as a tank.
The main reason I brought up her lack of options to raise her defenses is that, to no one's surprise, low defenses lead to getting one-shot by the late game bosses and tougher random encounters. It's kind of hard to use Yuffie if she's prone to getting one-shot late game.

Yuffie has a passive specialized vs physical attacks.
It's been mentioned before, but her passive doesn't even work. If I remember right, it had to do with how the game handles Evade? I'm sure someone else can explain it properly. Plus SegaChief is planning on changing her passive since her current one doesn't work right.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: 2020-04-08 19:45:46 »
When did it break? When I completed the game on 1.3 and then again on 1.4, perfect dodge was working fine.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #9195 on: 2020-04-08 22:12:05 »
I went and tested it out to make sure, and it seems to be working right? Testing out against a Kalm Fang, Yuffie dodged every attack until I cast Renew on her (but there was no "Perfect Dodge Off" pop-up message afterwards). Maybe the posts I saw about it not working was prior to 1.3?

Either way, Yuffie's Perfect Dodge isn't very good comparatively speaking, especially when Lucky Evades exist and Luck being fairly easy to pump up to 200 (or close to 200) for a flat 50% chance to avoid any non-Magic attack.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that Covering overrides the Evade% stat, so Yuffie can't be a Dodge Tank relying on Perfect Dodge. However, Covering doesn't override Lucky Evades, which just goes back to my point of Lucky Evades alone making Perfect Dodge a very lackluster passive.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-08 23:36:26 by PokeFaize »

Eddiefonzarelli

• View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: 2020-04-10 03:09:53 »
Dark Cave Mirage Boss fight Bug

So im reporting this outta frustration cuz mirage has some abilities that say " f yo' ribbon" and im just giving up on the dark cave so i can (hopefully) beat Sephiroth and Finish the game b4 Remake is available

So the bug is...sometimes when Mirage Casts Taryarus(the spell with the Animation of Quake 3) the game crashes.

7th heaven 2.0
All mods except gameplay turned off

I still LOVE the mod but Mirages debuffs are crazy frustrating in this time of me trying to speedrun Tifas ultimate weapon amd Sephiroths defeat.

TheNathanParable

• View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: 2020-04-11 22:52:25 »
I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but i'm using 7th Heaven 2.0 with the Enhanced Stock UI mod, and one of the features of that mod is graphics for gamepad button prompts.

Now, there is an additional mod (ESUI Controller Addition) that adds controller icons to game dialogue (so it'll show the icon rather than "[CANCEL]"), but it's incompatible with gameplay mods and seems to have no effect on New Threat.

Are there any plans to add such a feature into New Threat (like at save points, where it shows all those "[PAGEUP]" and "[CAMERA]" button prompts)?

brojio

• View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: 2020-04-11 23:26:42 »
Hi, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have installed the new Reunion R06 mod and it works perfectly. I have tried to install New Threat 1.5 R06 version by dropping the files where there are supposed to go and the primary installer but when I start a new game it does not pop up to give the Arranged or Normal difficulty so I don't believe the NT is actually working. Any tips from experienced modders? It works when I use 7th Heaven but I have uninstalled that and got a fresh install of FF7 Steam Version to try Reunion instead. 

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #9199 on: 2020-04-12 00:33:11 »
I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but i'm using 7th Heaven 2.0 with the Enhanced Stock UI mod, and one of the features of that mod is graphics for gamepad button prompts.

Now, there is an additional mod (ESUI Controller Addition) that adds controller icons to game dialogue (so it'll show the icon rather than "[CANCEL]"), but it's incompatible with gameplay mods and seems to have no effect on New Threat.

Are there any plans to add such a feature into New Threat (like at save points, where it shows all those "[PAGEUP]" and "[CAMERA]" button prompts)?

We want to work with SC to get ESUI + Controller Addon compatible with NT. But I think before any steps can be made, we need to wait for the next big update to NT 1.5 and see what SC says from there. Making compatibility patches to mods that are still changing can offer new problems that we want to avoid.