Author Topic: Temp Owverworld Module?  (Read 4242 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Temp Owverworld Module?
« on: 2006-06-27 01:06:02 »
As the system is modular, I was thinking of  a "placeholder" for the worldmap. This when when opcodes start getting filled out, we have some basic jumps to other modules.

Here's the kicker.

For ease of coding/placeholding.... Put it in 2D?

The real overworld map is made up of  a 256x256 grid of 3d tiles. As we don't really have a lot of information on the FF7 map format, other than it's "some kind of Biniary Search Tree" <--- (My quote) It might be helpful to make a placeholder map that's 2d for now.

However, I need a good square picture of the world map so we can see of the tiles align correctly.

Good idea? Bad

Should I just go back to messing with the fieldscript? ^_^

sfx1999

• View Profile
Re: Temp Owverworld Module?
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-28 00:40:14 »
Don't even go that far... just make it text based or output to the debugger.

My idea was to have each module to return a value to a loop with a number for the next module to run. Like this:

Code: [Select]
ActiveModule = MODULE_MAIN;
while(1)
{
  ActiveModule = LoadMod(ActiveModule);
  if ActiveModule = MODULE_QUIT
    break;
}

LoadMod would load the appropriate module that was passed to it, and return the value for the next module. You might want to pass it a pointer for a structure of data to share between the modules.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-28 17:16:33 »
Don't even go that far... just make it text based or output to the debugger.

My idea was to have each module to return a value to a loop with a number for the next module to run. Like this:

Code: [Select]
ActiveModule = MODULE_MAIN;
while(1)
{
  ActiveModule = LoadMod(ActiveModule);
  if ActiveModule = MODULE_QUIT
    break;
}

LoadMod would load the appropriate module that was passed to it, and return the value for the next module. You might want to pass it a pointer for a structure of data to share between the modules.

It's already done with
     PartyMenu* module = new PartyMenu();
     MODULEMAN->PushModule(module);
if we need to unload current module we can call
     MODULEMAN->PopTopModule();
or create method that will search module we want to unload.

This is done in module itself, without returning to main loop. ModuleManager handles this things.

As the system is modular, I was thinking of  a "placeholder" for the worldmap. This when when opcodes start getting filled out, we have some basic jumps to other modules.

Here's the kicker.

For ease of coding/placeholding.... Put it in 2D?

The real overworld map is made up of  a 256x256 grid of 3d tiles. As we don't really have a lot of information on the FF7 map format, other than it's "some kind of Biniary Search Tree" <--- (My quote) It might be helpful to make a placeholder map that's 2d for now.

However, I need a good square picture of the world map so we can see of the tiles align correctly.

Good idea? Bad

Should I just go back to messing with the fieldscript? ^_^

I can add this a bit lates. Placeholders are easy to be done =)

By the way - someone may already start to make all menu. I created example that shows how party menu can be done. It doesn't has all features, but they can be easily added. You can make an announce =)

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-02 00:18:15 »
I like your method better Akari.