Author Topic: People are stealing our stuff again.  (Read 5877 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
People are stealing our stuff again.
« on: 2011-07-21 01:51:52 »
Just go here and see.
LINK REMOVED

EDIT: Im retarded probably. Did all you guys give whoever this is permission? I may have jumped the gun, he credits everyone and links to the threads here. Its well organized tpp. Now I feel like an ass.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-21 06:11:11 by jeffdamann »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: People are stealing our stuff again. (link removed)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-21 02:04:22 »
1. This is fairly old news.
2. Prolly best not to link to him, since he provides an illegal download of FF7.
3. He tried to direct-link to my website for the ff7music bundle I made a while back. Awesomely enough, I don't have that website anymore (haven't for more than seven months now) so it just 404's.

edit:
4. No, we didn't give permission.
5. The link is still in the thread title.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-21 06:09:31 by Covarr »

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: People are stealing our stuff again.
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-21 05:55:47 »
I feel like everyone here is already perfectly aware of that site since at least once a month someone comes here looking for help with it.  IIRC that guy even showed up here once to defend his site/content on it.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-22 17:48:18 by Bosola »

Cloud1000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-21 07:39:54 »
I feel like everyone here is already perfectly aware of that site since at least once a month someone comes here looking for help with it.  IIRC that guy even showed up here once to defend his site/content on it.

you are showing link :(

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-21 12:27:59 »
The reason why I know about that site is because it's the first thing that comes out in a google search of "ff7 mods". Which is why a lot of people would stumble across that site.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-22 17:48:26 by Bosola »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-23 00:40:03 »
He posted on overclock.net defending himself.

Quote from: cloudff7pc
Hi Jeffdamann,

When I created the site I did request permission to link to the mods. Every single modder has been stated and given credit to, and in my Blogroll, you will see links to Qhimm and every other relevant site pertaining to the game.

I have done nothing illegal; if anything I've helped Qhimm out by acting as a buffer to noobs who do not know how to use forums and how to mod. Do you know how many people message me on a weekly basis asking for help. I even took the liberty of creating step by step mod tutorials.

People all over the world thank me for actually bothering to provide them with easy to understand guides on how to Mod so that they too can enjoy the games. This has raised an awareness and I hope, will contribute to SE realizing that there is still a demand for this game, which may ultimately urge them to remake the game.

Are you saying it's illegal to link to the forums where it can be downloaded, but it's not illegal to download them and re-upload them with your own twists. Just because my site actually ranks no.1 for the keyword Final Fantasy 7 PC and therefore has been found by people looking to play this wonderful game all over again, does not mean that there are not other sites claiming the mods to be their own, or even modifying the mods without consent from the original creator.

So before you start saying that my site is illegal, and I did not get consent please do your due diligence. I am a fan much like any other, and I contributed in whatever way I could.

My site is there to help people, not rob them.

Oh, and come and Kill me.... lmao. Seriously, grow up dude. We live in an age where billion dollar companies are trying to stop people from torrenting and file sharing their **** and here you are crying about me linking to Qhimm and crediting each and every modder and that's still not good enough? Get a grip.

I said "if he had stolen any of my content Id kill him, so thats what that last paragraph is about.

I think we need to get this site to rank up there when searching FF7 PC or FF7 mods....

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-23 01:33:37 »
Over reacting...

It is good he has his site and I am glad he credits us :)  I really don't mind...  What I do mind is that he hasn't updated that site for a year.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-23 02:07:20 »
I agree with DLPB. Everyone's appropriately credited and links to the topics are on the site. He should point to the forum rather than the topic and probably to the mods page on the wiki, but that's my only complaint. He's not stealing anything. "Stealing" is the FF7XP AnimeVamp "Patch" that's still floating around.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-23 02:47:58 »
Linking to a torrent of the game is facilitating piracy even if he does also say where to buy the game, while not technically illegal, might as well be.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-23 03:51:44 »
That is his cop... his site, his responsibility.  Thankfully nothing to do with us :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-23 04:05:13 »
He didn't request permission to steal my bandwidth.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-23 14:41:21 »
No, but we're not going to stop him, and I'd rather see my work distributed with credit than outright stolen.

Look, if he's actually distributing things which you unambiguously hold the copyright to, contact his hosting provider (the DNS record is registered with GoDaddy; they're probably his host, as well). Posting about it here isn't going to do much.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-23 14:49:11 by Bosola »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-23 14:44:10 »
What I do mind is that he hasn't updated that site for a year.

This is a legitimate complaint that needs to be taken seriously.

One of the big problems for FF7 PC modding/fixing is that there's so much outdated information around; the are probably still people using the Chocobo patch and such. Since this bloke is still active and ranks high on Google, he has a responsibility to take more care to keep up-to-date.