Author Topic: Final Fantasy IX Info  (Read 7613 times)

ff7rules

• View Profile
Final Fantasy IX Info
« on: 2012-10-26 14:56:11 »
I am working on making a FFIX enemy Editer. I have found where most of the enemys attributes are but Im struggling to find the AI can anyone help?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Final Fantasy IX Info
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-26 19:04:27 »
I don't know, but if you ever release anything you should definitely call it 'Garland'.

I don't think anyone's ever done much work on FFIX's AI. In fact, I think even VIII's scripts aren't too well-known. I do know there's a lot of difference between VII and VIII, though, so IX won't look familiar.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-26 22:05:27 »
Thats what I feared Bosola I wonder if I could find out by running it on the emulator and looking at the code it runs whats what I think they start after 24 bytes of data from Hp to Items you can steal but im not sure

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-26 23:39:46 »
You could put a breakpoint on that data and see when it's accessed. Still, there's a lot of careful tracing and watching from there on in.

Are there any enemies that have identical AI behaviours? I'd expect that Tiamat and its Crystal version to act the same, even though they have different stats. If their scripts match, a comparison could provide clues where to look. The knights that accompany Steiner in the boss fight have the same behaviour and attacks, so they could be worth looking at also.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-27 01:31:58 »
I'm going to take a crack at decoding FFVIII's AI. I found FFVII's pretty easily and made a definitive list. I might be able to do the same with 8. Any one know where the AI is stored in the files?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-28 01:16:24 »
I would guess in the DAT files that contains enemy data.

xenokain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-28 21:13:47 »
I could be wrong but i thought someone mentioned the way they coded ff9 is similar to how they coded chrono cross. Part of this reasoning is they were released same year by the same rpg company. This same person was taking apart chrono cross and pointed out the insides of the game were somewhat similar (small differences here and there obviously) to ff9. If i find the link ill post it.

On another note LandonRay from insanedifficulty created a difficulty and rebalance patch for ff9. He had to know something about AI to have done such a hack/mod because he mentions "Enemy Alterations".

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/114-final-fantasy-ix-unleashed/

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-29 01:43:42 »
I'm going to take a crack at decoding FFVIII's AI. I found FFVII's pretty easily and made a definitive list. I might be able to do the same with 8.
As said above, enemy AI is in the monster files. random_npc gave some information about it here

I could be wrong but i thought someone mentioned the way they coded ff9 is similar to how they coded chrono cross.
Chrono Cross tends to be more like Xenogears in its formats.

On another note LandonRay from insanedifficulty created a difficulty and rebalance patch for ff9. He had to know something about AI to have done such a hack/mod because he mentions "Enemy Alterations".
From what the descriptions say, it sounds more like enemy stat hacking.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2012-10-29 14:54:27 »
As said above, enemy AI is in the monster files. random_npc gave some information about it here

I found random_npc's post just after making mine, but I'm attacking it from the exe. Knowing what files hold the AI is just as important as where in the files the AI is. I'm going to find out where in memory the enemies are loaded into then find where their AI is referenced.
I don't know where these dat files are, though. I only see six files on my CDs. I assume they're in disc1.pak somewhere, but I don't know how to get them out.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-29 15:04:45 by NFITC1 »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-04 13:15:17 »
Sorry for bumping the thread but I also want to make an enemy editor (as well as other features). Maybe we could share our info if you're still working on it?

I just discovered this forum 2 days ago and it provided me quiet nice informations about chunks and models :)
However, I have got some knowledge by myself and, even if I don't know how to edit it, I'm pretty sure the AI is coded in the script file from the combat datas (usually the first sub-file in the combat chunk).