Author Topic: Volume control gripe when using PSF files for music  (Read 1398 times)

bongorider

I play FF7 in a window, and use the .psf files for music instead of the MIDI that came on the original version.  The problem is that when you do it this way the volume of the FF7 music is tied directly to the "wave" volume in the master volume controls of windows XP.  You can turn down the sound effects volume in-game, but because you are not using MIDI you can't independently turn down the music volume.  The only way is to turn it down in Ficedula's config utility, which basically turns the "Wave" volume down for all XP apps.  So everything gets quieter.

Might sound like a very minor problem, but I like to play games while watching TV and movies.  So being able to change the volumes independently is vital.  Obviously media players themselves have a volume control, but I find that with mplayer on full blast, FF7 is still louder.

On windows 7 and vista you can adjust the volumes of applications separately, but I specifically installed XP to run older games so I'm not going back to that.

I also found an application called indievolume, which is a program designed specifically to offer volume controls for each application running on XP.  But for some reason the volume controls had absolutely no effect on FF7 at all, couldn't figure that out at all.