Author Topic: After altering the font, in-game text scrolling has stopped working [FF7]  (Read 1837 times)

ntelalis

Hello to the community! :D

I decided to begin a translation of FF7 (PSX format) into Greek in my spare time (maybe i 'll get some help from my friends which are ff7 fans too!). This forum has helped me very much for my project, but i recently got into trouble.

I tried to alter the font in ff7, but I am experiencing a problem with it.

I got the font from init\window.bin following this procedure:

1) decompress it with ff7dec window.bin -> window.bin0,window.bin1,window.bin2
2) rename window.bin1 to font.tim
3) hexedit 2 bytes in font.tim comparing it to another working font.tim from the italian translation, in order to open it with timviewer because the viewer was crashing
4)convert it to font.bmp and replaced the characters with greek ones offhandedly to see if it works. (photo below).

After that i tried to get a working window.bin from the file i made following this procedure:

1) convert font.bmp -> font.tim
2) hexedit font.tim comparing it to original, because the CLUT info was wrong (Size:256 Sets:8 instead of 512 and 16 respectively).
3) hexedit it again to alter 2 bytes like the original (see above) and rename it to font.bin.
4) compress it with gzip and NOT with ff7dec because the latter never gave me a working window.bin even with the originals.
5)hexedit the font.bin because the compressor placed some sh*tty info in the heading ( about ~12 bytes regarding the filename).
6) replaced the original window.bin's font section with the font.bin.

After that i loaded the emulator only to see this problem.

The dialogues aren't scrolling (Photos below)! Instead the characters are pasted at the beginning of the line continuously. I think i messed up the scrolling and i don't know where to look at...  :-\

Maybe i did too much hexediting and messed some bytes? Does anyone know what's the cause of this?

P.S. I recently discovered Gemini's International AIO translation tool, but since i had already started making it "manually" so I 'd like to complete it as-is, with the help of Lasyan3's Hack7 tool, and maybe I will give it a try sometime (I haven't even compiled it yet).

I am looking forward to your answers.  :)
« Last Edit: 2011-01-12 18:37:27 by ntelalis »