Author Topic: Textures Question  (Read 4319 times)

Olie

• View Profile
Textures Question
« on: 2008-01-15 05:49:59 »
well i extracted the texture buster.tex as a BMP and i was wondering how to pack it back into the lgp.

if there is already an answer to this sorry i couldnt find it this forum is a big f***ing mess.

EDIT:

well i managed to do it but i found out that if i change the resolution it f***s it up. :( and editing an image of that resolution dosent look good even cell shading. so f***ing annoying the N64 is so easy to re-texture.

do any of you guys know how to increase the amount of pixels in an image without making it bigger?

is there a way to make the buster.tex at the main screen high res?
« Last Edit: 2008-01-15 10:18:27 by Olie »

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: Textures Question
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-15 10:43:01 »
It's fairly straight forward. FF7's engine is designed for specific texture ranges.  Where as high res textures on an N64 is via injection through a plugin that helps with RSP emulation (IE 3d) FF7 runs in an old version of DX in a narrow functional range using a specific set of things that must be supported by your display card (unless you use software rendering) In any case you won't be able to increase the resolution that easily.  You have to make specific changes. See game tweaking.

Cyb

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-15 11:45:51 »
aight thanks for all that help.

got any specific links in for the game tweaking section? not sure what to look at.

shame we cant inject textures into FFVII on PSX yet :P

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-15 21:20:15 »
aight thanks for all that help.

got any specific links in for the game tweaking section? not sure what to look at.

shame we cant inject textures into FFVII on PSX yet :P
Well unless you write a playstation emulator that allows 3d plugin support it's not going to happen.  It's impossible to do because GPU plugins do not support 3d they only support GPU opcodes which are all 2D.  The Playstation does 3d in software using the GTE.  This means textures etc. which you could paste onto surfaces etc. are extremely difficult to scale and stuff in the right way.  IE you have to have an idea how a texture is used, is part of the problem.  Additionally the Playstation makes extensive use of CI textures and on the fly texture creation.  Again this means it's not easy to create high resolution textures since you need a way to identify them (that is partially why the 3d information is useful).

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-16 01:43:09 »
hmm

think there is 3D plugins? not sure.

anyway i was origanlly meant to be asking about remaking these LGP files but i want to double the resolution of every single .tex file in there. and everytime i tried to double resolution it dosent re-scale it self or something like that :P

cyb said you have to make specific changes thats what i want to know :P checking game tweaking.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-17 00:01:20 »
hmm

think there is 3D plugins? not sure.
In words of one syllable No.
anyway i was origanlly meant to be asking about remaking these LGP files but i want to double the resolution of every single .tex file in there. and everytime i tried to double resolution it dosent re-scale it self or something like that :P
Well how shall I explain this again?
cyb said you have to make specific changes thats what i want to know :P checking game tweaking.
You have to change the engine. That pretty much tells you a lot.  The data for the textures is not in floating point (IE 0 to 1) instead it's in integer values (0 to 255). This means if you double the size of the image, you end up having half the textures on the model.  Also the game resolution it'self is limited.  There have been several attempts to change this.  Changing models helps with the textures (IE models with different integer numbers for texture offset).

If you REALLY REALLY want to understand it try reading the WIKI some of the details?
Cyb

Olie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-17 00:55:38 »
thanks i will do :D :D
helped alot man thanks.