Author Topic: psximager doesn't work. :(  (Read 6198 times)

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
psximager doesn't work. :(
« on: 2017-05-12 03:21:01 »
If you've been following my posts, you would know that recently I've been experimenting with modifying the hand cursor for Final Fantasy VII (PSX).

The data is stored in "WINDOW.BIN", and after working on the ".TIM" and creating a new "WINDOW.BIN" with my changes, the new file is larger than the original. You know what that means....

Simply using CDmage will not fix this.

I tried using psximager, and I can rip the file system off the ISO with "psxrip".

So then I replaced the "WINDOW.BIN" in the filesystem it dumped with my own "WINDOW.BIN" with my changes.

I then tried to rebuild the ISO with "psxbuild".

It seemed to be working as it did generate a new ISO. But when I load this ISO into a PSX emulator, the game doesn't run at all.

What could of gone wrong?

Is the problem with the ISO I was initially using (before using psximager)? If so, is there a proper way to generate a PSX ISO in ".BIN" format that can be loaded into psximager?

Or could there be an alternative to psximager?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: psximager doesn't work. :(
« Reply #1 on: 2017-05-12 03:32:10 »
Try using ECCRegen in  mode 2.  Scan and repair the sectors. Fixes Makou Reactor's mistake too.  Green_Goblin told me about it.

http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/ECCRegen-FREE.html

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-12 03:44:47 »
Unfortunately, it didn't work.

In ECCRegen, I opened the new ".BIN", marked  "MODE 2 (PSX/PC)", under settings I checked "Fix mode 2 Form 2 sectors", and hit Scan. The program does something and then suddenly closes.

The ISO still won't load in an emulator.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-12 03:53:40 »
That sounds like your iso is totally broken to me. Get in touch with Kranmer if you can. Or Ilducci.  Those two are the only people I know who have any clue about this stuff.

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-05-12 04:20:41 »
Could the issue be with "WINDOW.BIN"?

My modified "WINDOW.BIN" is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ywe6qmltx0zf81z/WIP_borders_flooded_0x220_clut_02-16_WINDOW.BIN

(Of course, when I reinserted it the file was named "WINDOW.BIN".)

When I insert it in CDmage, it "truncates" the file. The game loads at "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents", then hangs after that.

After using psximager, the game just doesn't load at all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-05-12 04:23:15 »
If it fails to load after that part, yeah.  One of the first things the game loads is windows.bin.

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-05-12 08:58:31 »
That sounds like your iso is totally broken to me. Get in touch with Kranmer if you can. Or Ilducci.  Those two are the only people I know who have any clue about this stuff.
I didn't do the graphics injection in the ISOs. For PSX, talk to xulikotony or Green_goblin.

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-05-13 01:36:56 »
Ugh. So I've been told that FF7 stores LBA values into various modules. Is this true?

IIRC from reading the psximager documentation, that means the game code needs to be rewritten to accommodate for new LBNs.

>_<
« Last Edit: 2017-05-13 01:43:29 by NERV Agent »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #8 on: 2017-05-13 09:14:45 »
Ugh. So I've been told that FF7 stores LBA values into various modules. Is this true?

IIRC from reading the psximager documentation, that means the game code needs to be rewritten to accommodate for new LBNs.

>_<

That's true, FF7 is a pain in the ass because there are various cross-reference values that need to be modified.
There is a file called "yamada.bin" inside the "INIT" folder, the structure is the following:

Probably you will need to change "Size of window.bin".

After that do this:

Try using ECCRegen in  mode 2.  Scan and repair the sectors. Fixes Makou Reactor's mistake too.  Green_Goblin told me about it.

http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/ECCRegen-FREE.html

Regards

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-05-14 05:47:34 »
Thanks for the response.

Can I edit "yamada.bin" directly with a hex editor, or do I need to decompress it first?

I'm new to FF7 hacking and it seems to me that nearly everything in this game is compressed.

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-05-14 08:57:27 »
An update to things.

So I edited "YAMADA.BIN".

My modified “WINDOW.BIN” that is 0x00003422 bytes will be designated as “22 34”, so I replace "D2 33" with "22 34".

I ran psxbuild again, then I ran ECCRegen with the same settings I used before. It doesn't seem to detect any errors.

The ISO I have now still does not load in an emulator.

What else should I try?

UPDATE: I think I need to change the LBA value, too. How do I calculate what value to change it too?
« Last Edit: 2017-05-14 09:04:44 by NERV Agent »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-05-14 09:31:13 »
Even more updates:

I tried using TOC Changer v1.2, and it didn’t fix it.

I tried using Mass ISO Update, and it will either give me an ISO that causes a BSoD when loaded in an emulator, or an ISO that doesn’t load after “Sony Computer Entertainment America Presents”.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #12 on: 2017-05-14 09:39:12 »
I cannot help you with that, I'm not a romhacker really.
Try to ask some of these people:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9737.0

Regards