Author Topic: Sound Problem  (Read 8228 times)

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
Sound Problem
« on: 2012-03-08 02:55:23 »
Pitbrat and Vgr, I heard you could help. I downloaded all of the necessary tools for basic installation of FF7. My problem is when I first enter the reactor. After you enter the reactor and walk down the t-platform, right before you enter the three rooms to plant the bomb, the music change overlaps and I get two soundtracks at the same time. I placed the 1.02 patch in my FF7 folder along with Aali's files, excluding the ff8 file. What should I do to fix it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Problem
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-08 12:04:11 »
Do you have FF7Music installed?

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-08 15:05:10 »
No just Aali's driver and the 1.02 patch.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-08 17:51:23 »
Use Covarr's FF7Music installer.  It offers a better soundtrack and it might fix this problem.

ff7music_install_15113.exe                       Covarr          Proper Music Update                     Qhimm FILE MIRROR

OSTRe.7z                                         Covarr          FF7 Soundtrack for use with FF7Music    Qhimm FILE MIRROR

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-08 18:19:12 »
Ok, but half of the point of playing this game is reminiscence, you know? I really dig the old midi, and I don't wanna lose that feeling in the game. Does FF7 music have a different sound to it?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-03-08 18:52:00 »
They have a different music option. You can set it to your liking. One would say that you could extract the MIDIs from the LGPs and put them in FF7Music (totally doable) but I would rather go without FF7Music.

Post your config of Aali's driver.

Also, I'm happy to find someone else than me that likes the original MIDI. I prefer the PSFs though, but I like the MIDIs quite much as well.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-08 23:06:08 »
# ff7_opengl-0.7.10b config file

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 0
window_size_y = 0
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = none

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, the FF7Music plugin MUST be enabled for FF7Music to work.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = on

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = on

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

I didn't change any of the advanced options or any modding options.

I also put the first cd's movies in the FF7 folder, I thought that might have something to do with it. I want to play them from my hard drive, but I have to acquire another second disc, mine has been damaged.

That's beside the point. Everything I got is legal, I just don't remember having this problem last time I installed on a laptop.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-09 00:51:09 »
If you choose to install FF7Music, the PSF option sounds very similar to the original MIDI tracks.
When using FF7Music, you need to alter the ff7_opengl.cfg file:
    music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-03-09 02:02:55 »
Ok.... How does this fix the overlap issue?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-03-09 03:45:25 »
FF7Music with the PSF option should actually sound identical to the playstation version, since it uses playstation data and literally emulates the sound part of the system. Short of emulation bugs, it is actually far more similar to the PSX version than the vanilla PC version is. Unless you grew up with the PC version to start with, this is ideal for your nostalgia bone :P

The reason this helps with music overlapping issues is that when it's installed properly, all game music is completely muted and only ff7music outputs the music itself. MIDIs can't overlap each other if they're not playing to begin with ;D FF7Music has a few bugs of its own, but it is still helpful (especially on Vista/7 systems because it also fixes muted sound effects in some cutscenes).

If you use my ff7music installer but don't intend to use final fantim's remastered OST, you don't need to download OSTRe.7z. Personally, I prefer the remastered soundtrack because of the more natural sounding intstruments, but it's not for everyone, especially those that are interested in nostalgia.

edit: Actually, I don't see why I don't add a MIDI plugin to my installer, for folks who really wanna fix those silent sound effects on vista/7 but don't wanna fix Eidos' dumbass decision to use MIDI. Next version, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-09 03:51:48 by Covarr »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-03-09 05:34:37 »
edit: Actually, I don't see why I don't add a MIDI plugin to my installer, for folks who really wanna fix those silent sound effects on vista/7 but don't wanna fix Eidos' dumbass decision to use MIDI. Next version, I suppose.

I have tested some in_xyz.dll's , also some for MIDI files. No one worked on my PC. If you find one, please send me a link.

Thank you.

Edit: The Option "Maximise midi on song not found" does not seem to work for me :(
« Last Edit: 2012-03-09 06:11:40 by Kompass63 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-03-09 11:13:53 »
Winamp has a in_mid.dll plugin (or in_midi.dll, can't remember) and I can recall it working with FF7Music.

Another something I might ask is the ability to use SGT files from FF8. I tried many plugins (namely in_FFVIII.dll and in_ficedm.dll) but it either doesn't play or play for a second or two then stop for a second or two, then do it again. It doesn't work that way, and is annoying.

KG

« Reply #12 on: 2012-03-09 13:47:28 »
They have a different music option. You can set it to your liking. One would say that you could extract the MIDIs from the LGPs and put them in FF7Music (totally doable) but I would rather go without FF7Music.

Post your config of Aali's driver.

Also, I'm happy to find someone else than me that likes the original MIDI. I prefer the PSFs though, but I like the MIDIs quite much as well.

I was (and am) a fan of the good ole' MIDI music, but once I gave FF7Music a try, I realized that Nobuo Uematsu's work would make me feel nostalgic even if played with spoons and a mouth harp.  :-P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-03-09 13:52:08 »
Edit: The Option "Maximise midi on song not found" does not seem to work for me :(
It wouldn't, not if you're using Aali's driver to mute the MIDI music. It just mutes all the midi music in the game. It doesn't have enough communication with FF7Music to even know if a song isn't found or if FF7Music is trying to maximize it.