Author Topic: I felt it was time to make my return to the forums with an AMAZING idea...  (Read 37268 times)

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
I can write post processing effects as I showed earlier but I know nothing about GLSL or separate vertex and fragment format or any of that.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-16 01:50:09 by [CleverNameHere] »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
okay so found out that the errors i were seeing are due to my driver catalyst 13.4 and not particularly the shader.  So this thing might actually already be working.  I need someone to test this shader out for me.  Someone who is not getting the weird triangle error that others are getting when shaders are active. 

I am trying to solve the problem on my end but until then someone please try this as a post processing effect and tell me if it is working or not.  Thank you.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3FK0dqybqUCWHF4Ny0zWkdnNUU/edit?usp=sharing

Post a screen if so.  Make sure to turn shaders and post processing on and direct the cfg file to the new post shader before testing.  Anyone who knows how to do this can test it out.  Thanks in advance.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Edit: Post-Processing Initialization failed.

But, the creator of Xbrz made an epsxe plugin that looks fantastic on 2d games such as Megaman X4, but messes up the textures on the models of FF9. I haven't tested it with 7, but it might be different than 9 because there are no textures on the models, just lots of gradients. I have a PS1 copy if you'd like me to test it quickly.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-05 22:41:15 by [CleverNameHere] »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Edit: Post-Processing Initialization failed.

Same message for me.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I already have an xbr shader for pete's opengl2 plugin but you can post some screens if you'd like.  Once I fix my driver I am gonna try and split the vertex and fragment part of that shader i just posted and see if maybe that will work.  I got it to load without errors a while ago already but unfortunately due to my driver I cant tell if its actually doing anything.  I will definitely post something once I find out.

Aavock

• View Profile
Hey ABHA, is it possible to "re-whrite" the *.hlsl shader file that's inside the "shader" directory of the re-release version with the xBR shader code ?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
There are many things wrong with that.
1. It is a filter not a shader
2. Why would you mix the filter with another thing that's already written
3. The 1998 version or converted game don't support that format, it needs to be vertex/fragment files or a post processing effect for Aali's driver to work with it

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
anything is possible my friend unfortunately shaders can be a real pain in the ass.  Even programs that use the same shader languages can sometimes disagree on how to use them and causes issues.  Like right now I know aali's driver using GLSL and i have an xbr shader written in GLSL i finally fixed my driver issue so that shaders are working correctly, but the GLSL xbr doesn't want to work for some unknown reason.  I'm still working on it.  As for HLSL i don't have the rerelease so i can't really test it but there are already HLSL xbr shaders you can find here.

https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/tree/master/xbr/hlsl

Feel free to have at it.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
I don't think the original Xbr filter is in GLSLang.

Yes it is. Which magnification level are you using, 4 times?
« Last Edit: 2013-07-06 00:52:35 by [CleverNameHere] »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I've tried 4x 5x and 2x
also you can find GLSL xbr here
http://www.mediafire.com/?78p842uko34ce#n6vv4b36d5xa5
everything else i found is either in cg format or petes plugin format

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
So if it's already in GLS Language, it SHOULD be working as a post-processing effect, but life is never that simple.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-06 01:27:58 by [CleverNameHere] »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
exactly i can't seem to figure it out.  I loaded it up and it starts up doesn't give me any errors but the shader is obviously not working.  very strange i would assume there would be something in the app log but its acting as though it is working even though my eyes tell me it is not.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Edit: I slapped .txt on the end of it and used it in Dolphin just to test if it worked correctly and it definitely worked. It must be a problem with Aali's driver.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-06 01:33:56 by [CleverNameHere] »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
you did that to the one i just posted up? or a different one?  I'd like to try that in dolphin as well.  I figured it must be the driver.  Guess we will have to wait and see if it ever gets updated

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
I used This one. 5x magnification, written in GLS Language. Just attach .txt to the end of it, put it in the shaders folder of dolphin, and select it in the graphics options. You have to be using OpenGL. I used my dump of Animal Crossing.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-06 01:47:02 by [CleverNameHere] »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
that is very strange it didn't compile for me in dolphin. which revision are you using

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
3.5-1552 It's only a few days old. I tend to update every 2-3 days.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
hmm well it compiles in dolphin with no errors but still doesn't seem like it is working for me.  This is strange maybe my drivers are still jacked.  The text should not be pixelated after a 5x upscale of xbr

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
I have the internal resolution maxed out and "force texture filtering" is UN-checked.

Edit: This filter doesn't like to behave. I tried it with Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess GC afterwards. None of them showed any difference besides my original test on Animal Crossing.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-06 01:54:52 by [CleverNameHere] »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
how strange. This has really been giving some headaches.  I wish someone with more experience would get involved

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
how strange. This has really been giving some headaches.  I wish someone with more experience would get involved

Me too... All of this is exactly what I've experienced. There are a couple shaders I can get to work in that they do SOMETHING with aalis driver, but they mostly look like junk or run REAL slow. There is a good effect you can get off the text from one or two of them, but they grind my system too bad. They work faster with forced AA off but that's a step backwards.

This would be particularly useful for playing the new releases as they are. They are perfectly fine... EXCEPT for the backgrounds.

I was thinking lets just make a 2GB lgp file or whatever but I don't actually know the structure of the backgrounds in the file system, and I know that would probably not be possible just because of the size.   

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
The current enhancement (Omzy's field pack) is 3GB. That's not a problem because they're loaded as .png's from the mods folder. For an unconverted re-release, it would take a bit more work to batch-upscale them and then put them back (there's no lgp size constraint though). A shader would be more ideal.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-07 19:55:48 by [CleverNameHere] »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
The current enhancement (Omzy's field pack) is 3GB. That's not a problem because they're loaded as .png's from the mods folder. For an unconverted re-release, it would take a bit more work to batch-upscale them and then put them back (there's no lgp size constraint though). A shader would be more ideal.

I have to agree with you because forced-AA doesn't work right with the unconverted steam release, but I haven't tested the one from last year in that regard... I wish someone would make a really smashing shader just for aali's driver, but it is possible the shaders, no matter how specifically written, won't work because something isn't right with the custom driver's implementation of postprocessing itself. And then, we have AA working correct and Omzy's fieldpack.

For the unconverted rereleases, is it possible to rewrite the shaders to do all this complicated upscaling?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
You don't need to "re-write" per say. You can just use any HLSL shader (I think that is what the re-release uses) and rename it to replace the default one.

Luceid

• View Profile
Totally OT but I have to ask:
Is there a list of emulators supporting that filter?
Esp. links are welcome.

I'm currently trying to play FF IX with that ePSXe thingy (lags like hell, since the drive isn't constantly spinning... but I don't know, if I'm allowed to rip the game even if it's my personal original...) so that filter would be a very nice addition.