Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII - The Web Series Shutting Down  (Read 4974 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Final Fantasy VII - The Web Series Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-09 02:51:08 »
Wait wait wait wait....

These guys decided to do a kickstarter for an IP they didn't own, and then are shocked when SquareEnix shuts them down? This is almost laughable!

"This was going to be non-profit!"
Really? Because it looks like you are collecting money on IP you don't own. Where was all that money going to go? To magical faeries in the sky? Oh, you were going to buy things like cameras and equipment for yourself? Yea, not gonna be happening.

"SquareEnix didn't even talk to us!"

Did you hire a lawyer? Did you even have one on retainer? You are talking about intellectual property that costs hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't even think they would even consider licensing it to you for less that 7 digits. I'm pretty sure they look one look at you, realized you would never be able to afford any licensing agreements, and shut you down.

"We just wanted permission"

From who? The "Permission Guy"? The CEO? You think there's some dude sitting in an office who's all like "Na, you're cool dude! Let my just send this email up to management and we can CC the shareholders to let them know we just let "some guy on the internet" do whatever he wants with our stuff.

This is really no different than that dumb World of Pokemon kickstarter that someone tried to pull. I'm sure Nintendo would of been thrilled to see 30K made off of their IP with absolutely no oversight.

=== EDIT ===
Oh God, they were asking for $400,000! That's nuclear-powered dumb.

=== EDIT EDIT ===
They were halfway there and started selling merchandise? *facepalm*

If you want to know square's side of the story.. See the following video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZGra65Nob4
« Last Edit: 2013-09-09 03:17:01 by halkun »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-11 02:50:47 »
Oh god, I'm laughing so hard.
I'm only a bit sad halkun already said all the important things but it might be funny to take his post and rub it in their faces.
But yes.
>Collect money to make X of IP you don't own
Dumb
>Ask for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS
Atomic Stupidity.
>SELL MERCHANDISE OF THE IP YOU DON'T OWN
Do we know anything about a physical phenomena where something is so concentrated that it's beyond the eye of a black hole? Because that is the level of stupid we're looking at right here.

What was gonna be next, selling DVDs?

>"This was going to be non-profit!"
I don't know, isn't selling merchandise sorta making a profit?

>"SquareEnix didn't even talk to us!"
They: multi-billion dollar company
You: random ( and very stupid at that ) people on the internet that don't understand copyright law and intellectual property.

>"We just wanted permission"
See the part above in parenthesis.

Please, MORE, show me MORE of these people. HA. HAHAHAHA.

edit: Oh yeah, I will see everyone supportive of this as being equally dumb as the people starting it.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-11 02:52:40 by Tenko Kuugen »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-11 14:37:27 »
Actually, I think a week after this web series got shut down there was another kickstarter project to make a Super Metroid fan film. That got shut down as well. And there was that guy who was getting sandstone replicas of FF7 field models made at some 3D Printing shop and who then opened a page on some shopping site for people to pay money for them (about $20 per figure, I think, but the Chocobo was more expensive). That didn't last long either and the shopping site refunded people with gift vouchers instead of their money (just off of memory, might be wrong).

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-13 00:17:28 »
Thank god

The trailer looked terrible

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-13 00:42:41 »
Thank god

The trailer looked terrible

Fan-made trailers of movies that don't stand a chance of being made, including most live-action fighting shorts are always bad. The characters are designed to defy the laws of physics. Even trying to simulate these effects through camera editing looks phony.

The Legend of Zelda trailer that IGN made, however, was actually spectacular (until you saw Ganondorf). Too bad that one was a joke. :(

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-14 13:38:58 »
Wait wait wait wait....

These guys decided to do a kickstarter for an IP they didn't own, and then are shocked when SquareEnix shuts them down? This is almost laughable!

"This was going to be non-profit!"
Really? Because it looks like you are collecting money on IP you don't own. Where was all that money going to go? To magical faeries in the sky? Oh, you were going to buy things like cameras and equipment for yourself? Yea, not gonna be happening.

"SquareEnix didn't even talk to us!"

Did you hire a lawyer? Did you even have one on retainer? You are talking about intellectual property that costs hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't even think they would even consider licensing it to you for less that 7 digits. I'm pretty sure they look one look at you, realized you would never be able to afford any licensing agreements, and shut you down.

"We just wanted permission"

From who? The "Permission Guy"? The CEO? You think there's some dude sitting in an office who's all like "Na, you're cool dude! Let my just send this email up to management and we can CC the shareholders to let them know we just let "some guy on the internet" do whatever he wants with our stuff.

This is really no different than that dumb World of Pokemon kickstarter that someone tried to pull. I'm sure Nintendo would of been thrilled to see 30K made off of their IP with absolutely no oversight.

=== EDIT ===
Oh God, they were asking for $400,000! That's nuclear-powered dumb.

=== EDIT EDIT ===
They were halfway there and started selling merchandise? *facepalm*

If you want to know square's side of the story.. See the following video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZGra65Nob4
Well that is the problem with 'crowdfunding' people have 'dreams' sometimes those dreams have nothing to do with what they are talking about.  Now I ordered one of these that was crowd funded, however that was a legit company needing money to make thier idea available to engineers.

What I've seen is "people wanting money to get money" and maybe do development. Ahem. :D I prefer to invest my time into something first then consider money.

Kickstarter and the like may wish to have some standards I guess. I got worried when a guy in one group was talking about "self charging" batteries and crowd funding the developement costs.

Cyb

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-14 14:27:10 »
I have no sympathy for these people. This was stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-15 13:41:21 »
Are these the guys who made the trailer with Barret's huge gunarm, starting with Aerith in the church? If so, I had no hope for it. I can't imagine anyone would ever make a good live action FF. It's pretty stupid to even try.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-15 14:33:39 »
To be honest, I wouldn't want to see a live action. Cosplay works well enough for live renditions, but once you start coupling in voice and acting, it just feels......unfitting.