Author Topic: Show Square Enix how to do it...  (Read 3225 times)

Green Shaman

Show Square Enix how to do it...
« on: 2012-10-15 19:02:39 »
Before I start, I want to emphasise that I have read and understand all the rules of this site and nothing that follows is intended to breech them. 

Also, I am not technically minded in any way - I am just an enthusiastic fan.  However, the contributors at Qhimm are excellent and I admire all their contributions to FF7PC

So,

Given that Square Enix has stated that "Final Fantasy VII will not be remade until ... blah, blah, endless excuses, give us more money, blah..." could the contributors here at Qhimm construct a remake between them?

After all, Square Enix has given us 3D maps/environments for most of the locations visited in the original game as part of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus.  Those locations not visited in these games would not be hard for the contributors here to adapt from existing areas/maps.  Some areas, such as Cosmo Canyon, I have already seen remade in 3D, in immaculate detail.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipqUJ1b2w0

We also have 3D models and motion capture / behaviour loops for all the main characters from CC and DOC, plus NPC's galore from both games to use throughout a remade Final Fantasy VII. 

We could use the battle system from Final Fantasy X, or stick with the battle system from VII or VIII.

FMV's could be used/constructed from CC, DOC and Advent Children, especially since there would no longer be the video length or size restrictions of the original PC game. 

We have the script of the original game and  should be able to keep all of it in play.

I realise that this process would involve ripping no end of material from a lot of copyrighted media, but then I do not propose making the remake public... I propose compiling a remake, play-testing it, and submitting it to Square Enix!

If we can show them how easy could be to have FF7 remade, and give them a functioning prototype, maybe they'll get the message and get it into production.

If any or all of what I have just suggested is technically impossible then I will accept defeat.  However, if it is at all possible, would it not be worth a try?...

(Again, I reiterate, I know that ripped material is against the rules and illegal to make public - that is not what I propose, so please don't shout at me about it.)

(Additional: I do not have the slightest clue how to do any of this myself, I am just a man with an idea.)
« Last Edit: 2012-10-16 02:21:15 by Green Shaman »

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
Re: Show Square Enix how to do it...
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-15 19:36:24 »
so you are saying why dont we code a brand new game using material from there games and then see if they approve?

3 things wrong with it
it involves a new game having to be coded from scratch who here on the forum is talented enough to do all of this in a timely matter
ripped models. were going to code a new game but rip models. might as well just take the time to make the models.
why send it to square enix. they do not respond

not impossible. just improbable. if youre truly enthusiastic get familiar with a game engine and go at it

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-15 19:50:23 »
I like the boldness of this idea, particularly taunting S-E with it.

Theres no reason to use ripped material. You'd get better results with original assets, and with a modern engine you'd have all the support for new tech, animation engines, normal maps galore, among other things.

This is a sizable but doable project. A few comp sci students with a wad of time could cobble together a basic control scheme and gameplay methinks. This being with some existing engines such as Unity3D or Unreal.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-15 19:54:33 »
Will fail on trying to get people to agree on stuff together.
Someone likes artstyle X, someone else doesn't.
Someone likes gameplaystyle X, someone else doesn't.
That goes on and nothing is actually finished.
That's why most projects here are small teams or one-person projects

Recko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-15 20:04:26 »
I admit that would be bloody funny and high def characters and scenery would be awesome but yea the time and getting the team would be the draw back

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-15 20:21:09 »
That's not a draw back but a 99% inpropable hurdle

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-15 20:37:24 »
It's not going to happen.  Realistically.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-15 21:53:36 »
In exchange for the SE Luminous Engine (and toolset...) I'm in  :P
 8)