Author Topic: Vincent Hi Res  (Read 14265 times)

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
Vincent Hi Res
« on: 2010-12-07 22:10:14 »
Hiya,
I'm a new member and I would quickly like to say a few words. I joined Qhimm recently on my quest to help enhance not only my own but the gaming experience for others as well. From browsing the forums I realize that I'm not alone.. which is great!   ;)

Although I've read the rules this confuses me, are models originally intended as mods for other games/franchise that PERTAIN to the Final Fantasy series allowed?

For example, I have stumbled across a Hi-Res version of Vincent Valentine that I believe was created from scratch and not ported from anything. I've managed to import the file into Blender as well (after plugin hunting). If a new member of this community gets the okay, would a mod such as this be an acceptable project? Or is even discussion of such things taboo?

Cities
« Last Edit: 2010-12-08 01:04:34 by Cities.Burn.Quick »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: A Question and a Quest
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-07 22:19:06 »
The main reason for the rule is copyright infringement. Official models ripped from other games are completely against the rules, whereas fanmade models are generally okay provided they don't use bits from official models.

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
Re: A Question and a Quest
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-07 22:32:45 »
You see, that's the sticky wicket.

I've scanned through the textures and it all looks like someone spent one heck of an afternoon using Photoshop.
Therefore, I believe it is a fan made model. And fan made models are acceptible correct?

Anywho, I have the 3D model. I'm stumped though on how to add the textures to it though. :/

Via Blender, is it possible to apply a texture to a selected object?
I have textures but have no idea how to incorporate them.
Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-08 01:00:43 by Cities.Burn.Quick »

cloudstrife777

Re: Vincent Hi Res
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-08 01:17:13 »
Sorry that one looks a lot like the one from jedi academy. I don't know tho..... you should ask hulkun or any veteran member they will know,but I have been looking for a vincent model I hope it works out.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-08 01:20:25 »
That model is from Jedi Academy.  It is custom made and is a FF7 character, but if you decide to convert it for use in the original FF7 you need to make damn sure the original creators are ok with you doing that (I'm pretty sure they aren't).   You'll also need to clear it through halkun if you want to make it downloadable for people here.

Also, this isn't really a project since you aren't creating it from scratch.  More of a mod.  Therefore, moved.   Also, since you don't seem to know what you're doing, you may want to browse around for the many other threads that detail what all you will have to do.  Plenty of video tutorials as well.

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-08 02:32:39 »
"Also, since you don't seem to know what you're doing, you may want to browse around for the many other threads that detail what all you will have to do.  Plenty of video tutorials as well."

I HAVE searched good sir, perhaps I've missed it or am not searching the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4pr3J45ESo
I might try and adopt this sort of method..^ Not sure though.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-08 12:28:39 »
Please talk with the creators of this and make them accept to port it to FF7!
I'm missing a Vincent model for a long time :(

ryanphlp2002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-08 18:39:42 »
I'm missing everybody except Barret & enough Clouds to block out the sun!  :wink:  Is there any (legal) models of anyone else out there??

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-08 21:20:17 »
I'm missing everybody except Barret & enough Clouds to block out the sun!  :wink:
Besides the pun of the year, lol, there is a release of a HQ Custom Aeris model.
I just got around to cramming her into my LPG files today. :P
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10889.msg151569#msg151569

Back on topic, I'm trying my best man, I'm working on that before anything else on this project.
But the bounds of the internet are vast.
I'm not even sure if I speak the same language as the creator for that matter, lol.

Still no luck on the textures either.. :( Full of good news I suppose.

If I get the okay from the creator would anyone be willing to help me texture this model?

cloudstrife777

« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-09 01:54:24 »
Um I have been want to help out on a project. Oh try Google translate then just send it in their language   ;D

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-09 17:40:12 »
I'm going to attempt unwrapping the UV and then photoshop the textures.
Oi Vay  :P
Qhimm, you are lucky you are great at what you do.. otherwise I wouldn't start putting in the time. ;)

Oh try Google translate then just send it in their language   ;D

While this IS technically true,  has anyone using a translator actually sent you an e-mail? lol
It sounds like someone with a head injury contacted you.
"I can has model Fantasy Vincentocenas for work time? C'est sharpie?"
"No. I'm seeing someone."

Differences, lawl.  :roll:

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-12-09 18:07:33 »
You do know this model already has a texture right?

Nunsrgr8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-12-09 21:23:33 »
That I do know, as a matter of fact the textures came with the model. The problem I'm encountering is retexturizing the UV AFTER I import the model into blender and convert it from the oddball format.

The only thing I can contribute to the community at this point, due to my apparent lack of 3D modeling skills is texturizing, lol. Rather, creating textures via photoshop. I have the capability and knowledge of/respect for the original characters to make a great texture. :( I'm not putting down the textures that came with the model, they are great for their initial purpose. But, in keeping with the overall feel of the overwhelming majority of other mods on Qhimm, I personally believe a new texture is in order. Blender just mystifies me sometimes and college courses really put a damper on learning new things ironicly. But, hey? When this is all over it will be well worth the aggravation.  :-[

ryanphlp2002

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-12-09 21:30:23 »
I'm missing everybody except Barret & enough Clouds to block out the sun!  :wink:
Besides the pun of the year, lol, there is a release of a HQ Custom Aeris model.
I just got around to cramming her into my LPG files today. :P
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10889.msg151569#msg151569

Back on topic, I'm trying my best man, I'm working on that before anything else on this project.
But the bounds of the internet are vast.
I'm not even sure if I speak the same language as the creator for that matter, lol.

Still no luck on the textures either.. :( Full of good news I suppose.

If I get the okay from the creator would anyone be willing to help me texture this model?

I don't mean to complain, I mean I wouldn't have a leg to stand on - If I had any talent I'd be helping out!  All efforts are appreciated and I admire ye all!  From a (purely personal) POV the things that seem most dated in FFVII this day and age are the character models and the dreadful Chibi FMVs, in VI the style was consistent, in VIII the updated style was also consistent, VII looks like a mish-mash of both - not enough of a problem to make me stop playing the thing every 2 years or so though...