Author Topic: [FF7] SpeedHack (Alpha)  (Read 48538 times)

secondadvent

• View Profile
Re: [ALPHA Release] SpeedHack
« Reply #25 on: 2010-04-09 18:31:27 »
setting my ff7 to run on all four cores, and then playing past guard scorpion to where the "i'm gonna BLOW!!!" counter starts resulted in it running the same speed as if it were only using one core affinity, and the same goes for two core affinity.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-04-09 18:53:24 »
setting my ff7 to run on all four cores, and then playing past guard scorpion to where the "i'm gonna BLOW!!!" counter starts resulted in it running the same speed as if it were only using one core affinity, and the same goes for two core affinity.

if you were to run the timer along with a stopwatch, would there be any difference?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #27 on: 2010-04-09 18:55:55 »
It probably has something to do with the processor itself. On how it reports its speed, I mean.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-04-09 19:03:33 »
I did run it alongside a stopwatch, and there was not much difference after five seconds (as in like .03 seconds, but could just be MY timing :P).

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-04-11 16:09:36 »
ok guys this hack is no longer needed.
Aali's newest custom driver (0.7.7b) now supports DLL's so i have made prepered the CFG and the DLL needed for the speedhack and attached them to the beginning of this post.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-04-11 16:18:46 »
ok guys this hack is no longer needed.
Aali's newest custom driver (0.7.7b) now supports DLL's so i have made prepered the CFG and the DLL needed for the speedhack and attached them to the beginning of this post.

I wonder what other kinds of mods you can make by injecting a DLL like that..?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-04-11 17:06:01 »
well to be honest i cant think of that many that havent already been done some other way, but i supose you could just inject your own code like a trainer or a hack into the game without having to use external programs.

Also i have noticed the speedhack doesnt work on FF8 properly. it loads but it only speeds up FMV on FF8 so it proberly wont be of much use there.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-04-11 17:23:52 »
I wonder what other kinds of mods you can make by injecting a DLL like that..?

This could be very useful option for replacement of dziugo's various patches.  This way the exe won't have to be patched.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-04-11 18:00:22 »
Feel free to request patches you want to see implemented as settings for the custom driver. No need to write another library just to do that.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-04-11 19:59:17 »
I think the 9999 Limit Break should be a definite.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-04-11 20:03:11 »
i was actually thinking NFITC1's Mdef fix is a must...

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-04-11 20:56:47 »
i was actually thinking NFITC1's Mdef fix is a must...

Second that, it's the only patch i use. Used to use the high res patch, But that was our mighty god(Aali)s first fix ;D

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-04-11 22:54:21 »
I agree that both the 9999 limit break patch and the mdef fix should be implemented, as they are the only ones really needed (mdef because it should have been fixed in the original game, and the 9999 limit break because it gives more flexibility with difficulty mods, though is overkill for the original :-P).

The GyptInstant patch could also be something to consider, as the ability to skip the FMV's can be helpful for those with movie issues, or those who are making difficulty mods (like me) who don't want to have to sit through all of the movies repeatedly, namely the intro  :roll:.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-04-12 07:25:47 »
MDef fix is something I'd like to use myself, so that's a definite yes, I think I'll even leave it on by default. 9999 limit break is also a nice one and I will see what I can do about that. Skipping movies is already possible, just make sure the game can't access the file and the movie will be skipped. It's not as good as gypt, but since there are no crashing issues anymore it should be enough. Oh and if you do this on the intro movie you won't see anything in the first field screen, so run upwards into the first battle or open the menu and everything will be normal again.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-04-12 12:33:03 »
MDef fix is something I'd like to use myself, so that's a definite yes, I think I'll even leave it on by default. 9999 limit break is also a nice one and I will see what I can do about that. Skipping movies is already possible, just make sure the game can't access the file and the movie will be skipped. It's not as good as gypt, but since there are no crashing issues anymore it should be enough. Oh and if you do this on the intro movie you won't see anything in the first field screen, so run upwards into the first battle or open the menu and everything will be normal again.

Personally I have never used the MDef fix, so I would like to ask, does it alter the game balance at all?
I know it was supposed to be part of the game, but the fact is, it never has been.
So wouldn't implementing it now make the game somewhat easier than the FF7 that we all know and love?

That being said I do agree that it should be default, because having something in game that doesn't even work is just pretty silly.

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-04-13 19:43:25 »
Auto-run with key to deactivate it when necessary!
Now that's something I'd love to see in a plugin!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #41 on: 2010-04-13 21:21:35 »

Personally I have never used the MDef fix, so I would like to ask, does it alter the game balance at all?
I know it was supposed to be part of the game, but the fact is, it never has been.
So wouldn't implementing it now make the game somewhat easier than the FF7 that we all know and love?

That being said I do agree that it should be default, because having something in game that doesn't even work is just pretty silly.

I only made that fix because I could. I don't ever remember dying to an attack that didn't ignore magic defense anyway. It is more balancing because in later parts of the game, most monsters will have higher MDefs than your characters.

As I mentioned way back when I made it it didn't make a lot of difference. An additional 85 MDef made a 7300 attack only do 6200 damage. I'd call that significant (it IS good datum), but it is going to make some monsters easier. The only monsters with real magic threats are the ones in Northern Crater and a few bosses. I suppose it makes everything a little easier to that point, provided you're using armors with a good amount of MDef.

indrema

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-04-25 09:09:45 »
Love that mod, but is possible to set the speed parameters on a .cfg file before launching game, to bypass the config window?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-04-25 23:31:27 »
Love that mod, but is possible to set the speed parameters on a .cfg file before launching game, to bypass the config window?
It might be possible for someone with more coding experience to do this but the most i can do is remove the box and make a DLL that is set at a certian speed but i dont know how to get it to read from a CFG file.
If you would like me to make a DLL or a patch for your EXE so that the game will run faster at a pre-set speed with/without the box i can do this.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-05-03 14:55:37 »
Hmm.. Can I use your speedhack while running FF7 Music??