Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Rebirth Flame v1.3 - Character Texture Replacement  (Read 317217 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Can't the model be changed trough Deling? I mean there must be model loader as for ff7 for every field.

Nedus

• View Profile
Small update: Fixed up Irvine's legs so they are more consistent. Added a few more hashcodes to the fray. One thing I forgot from the last update was that I changed Zell's face to the more serious look across all models for more consistency. I might reupscale a few textures later down the line, but I'll see.

On an unrelated note to this project... Some people are curious how the FF8 backgrounds would look with waifu. It is something I'm working on as well. Just a long and very, /very/ tedious project. So if you want to see, here is a video with some. I'll upload more as I continue with this and getting battle effects/magic upscaled and looking all pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNoeb3fzc04&t

Raw screenshot from FatedCourage's video: (colors look a bit "washed out/filled with light", see the bottom black bars, because nowadays YouTube tends to do that)

Screenshot from my game:

I have the Project Eden mod installed and it does a fine job in refining most backgrounds i've seen (i've seen just the initial part of the game tho, and even found a couple of glitches; no big deal, i'm not complaining ofc, it looks amazing).
But i wonder: is there something wrong with my Project Eden installation, or, are the differences in the 2 screenshots normal? Is all thanks to waifu? If that's the case, wow, so looking forward to that.
Really nice improvement. Great job!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Your installation is fine. That's the noticeable difference using waifu. It's a really good filter.

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
Yes, waifu is generally better-looking than Project Eden, but upon closer inspection, many of the areas of Nedus's game are still pixelated, like the up arrow sign. A fully functional installation of Eden would at least make it look better than the original game, so something else is wrong here, whether it's the texture folders or the hashmaps or some other third thing.

Nedus

• View Profile
Yes, waifu is generally better-looking than Project Eden, but upon closer inspection, many of the areas of Nedus's game are still pixelated, like the up arrow sign. A fully functional installation of Eden would at least make it look better than the original game, so something else is wrong here, whether it's the texture folders or the hashmaps or some other third thing.

Here's my game with and without Project Eden:

Spoiler: show

So, it is definitely doing its job. But yeah, i got some pixelations here and there but i thought that was normal. Now you're making me doubt.
EDIT: I just realized this is mostly Project Eden-related. I'll go post in the appropriate thread. Sorry for the unintentional off topic, but the news about this waifu stuff were very interesting.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-15 16:20:21 by Nedus »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora

Might be a collision with a hashmap due to him using the Italian Version... or could just be a lack of collisions.csv and hash2map.csv

Nedus

• View Profile
In /common/ff8/tonberry i do have collisions.csv hash2map.csv AND a hash1map.csv
I'm not sure if this is ok or needs to be sorted. Anyway, i made some tests: having all 3 files, 1 or 2 of them (regardless which ones), or none of them doesn't change background appearance at all (actually, it seems to have 0 impact on any of the mods i've installed).

But then again, i know nothing of how all of this really works. So, uh, maybe it's all as it should be.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
In /common/ff8/tonberry i do have collisions.csv hash2map.csv AND a hash1map.csv
I'm not sure if this is ok or needs to be sorted. Anyway, i made some tests: having all 3 files, 1 or 2 of them (regardless which ones), or none of them doesn't change background appearance at all (actually, it seems to have 0 impact on any of the mods i've installed).

But then again, i know nothing of how all of this really works. So, uh, maybe it's all as it should be.

OH! That's your problem.  Get rid of hash1map - it's the original tonberry hashmap and will cause collisions.

Nedus

• View Profile
Like i said in the previous post: i made some tests and it doesn't matter which file/s combination/s i keep in that folder. Nothing changes (compared to the original situation). Meaning that Project Eden still leaves some pixelated areas. Other mods are also working as usual.

Anyway, from what i understand "hash1map" is a futile file so, to be sure, i'll leave only collisions and hash2map in the folder. But the issue is still unsolved (not that i mid tho, it's no big deal really)
« Last Edit: 2017-01-15 18:52:15 by Nedus »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Like i said in the previous post: i made some tests and it doesn't matter which file/s combination/s i keep in that folder. Nothing changes (compared to the original situation). Meaning that Project Eden still leaves some pixelated areas. Other mods are also working as usual.

Anyway, from what i understand "hash1map" is a futile file so, to be sure, i'll leave only collisions and hash2map in the folder. But the issue is still unsolved.

I believe this is an issue with SOME problems with ProjectEden - and some missed collisions, etc.  Also - this may be an issue with the language you're using.  I'm not sure.  It should be able to be fixed, but it's an arduous process and I have no time to help, currently.

And I digress - I don't want to flood this post with any more eden stuff.  Sorry, FC :)

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Raw screenshot from FatedCourage's video: (colors look a bit "washed out/filled with light", see the bottom black bars, because nowadays YouTube tends to do that)

Screenshot from my game:

I have the Project Eden mod installed and it does a fine job in refining most backgrounds i've seen (i've seen just the initial part of the game tho, and even found a couple of glitches; no big deal, i'm not complaining ofc, it looks amazing).
But i wonder: is there something wrong with my Project Eden installation, or, are the differences in the 2 screenshots normal? Is all thanks to waifu? If that's the case, wow, so looking forward to that.
Really nice improvement. Great job!

I think part of why the video screenshot is washed out is due to the recording and rendering software I was using, too. It wasn't playing nice during this. Looking at your screenshot, it appears that the area you're in is missing a hashcode. Getting it should fix the problem. I've been grabbing all the missing hashes for English as I do this since it's missing hashes as well. But I assume Italian has it's own set of codes?

I believe this is an issue with SOME problems with ProjectEden - and some missed collisions, etc.  Also - this may be an issue with the language you're using.  I'm not sure.  It should be able to be fixed, but it's an arduous process and I have no time to help, currently.

And I digress - I don't want to flood this post with any more eden stuff.  Sorry, FC :)

Nah, it's cool. It's nice to see the conversation for FF8 start back up again. ;) Once I make more progress, I'll make a separate thread regarding the waifu fields.

asfr11

• View Profile
Petrification - textures missing?
« Reply #186 on: 2017-01-21 19:58:37 »
Hello there.

I've noticed that when a character is petrified, textures get reverted to their unmodified status.

It's funny to see the transition from HD to 1998 graphics when a character gets turned into stone and back, but I was wondering if there is something that can be done about it. Any ideas?

Besides that, as a personal preference, the clothes shouldn't be petrified, I think, when a character is petrified, just the "flesh". Can that be done too via mods?

Thanks.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Hello there.

I've noticed that when a character is petrified, textures get reverted to their unmodified status.

It's funny to see the transition from HD to 1998 graphics when a character gets turned into stone and back, but I was wondering if there is something that can be done about it. Any ideas?

Besides that, as a personal preference, the clothes shouldn't be petrified, I think, when a character is petrified, just the "flesh". Can that be done too via mods?

Thanks.

Ah, someone finally noticed that. Yeah... It's something I plan to remedy once I figure out a way for it to look natural on the HD textures. The same goes for "Zombie" as well. Though, I plan to keep the style original to the game. Perhaps your request can be an optional thing to use. I'll see.

asfr11

• View Profile
Ah, someone finally noticed that. Yeah... It's something I plan to remedy once I figure out a way for it to look natural on the HD textures. The same goes for "Zombie" as well. Though, I plan to keep the style original to the game. Perhaps your request can be an optional thing to use. I'll see.

Thanks for your fast reply.

If I may ask, what's the problem you've found that doesn't make petrify/zombie look natural on the HD textures?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Thanks for your fast reply.

If I may ask, what's the problem you've found that doesn't make petrify/zombie look natural on the HD textures?

No problem. :) They just have their own set of codes. So, unlike effects like aura, it has it's own unique set of textures. Which means I need to make the HD textures to appear to have the same effect. Like stone and dark green.

asfr11

• View Profile
No problem. :) They just have their own set of codes. So, unlike effects like aura, it has it's own unique set of textures. Which means I need to make the HD textures to appear to have the same effect. Like stone and dark green.

Ah, great. Looking forward to seeing any news on this, then! :D

ht91pebb

• View Profile
Hello, Awesome mods u guys r putting to ffviii
I have few question, I'm using the high poly models, the majority of the texture work in most of the areas, expect some(missing the body texture, Head works) I was wondering if there a step by step where I can find the hash code for them I look all over the forum really confuse to finding them, all the low poly work great, but I prefer the high ones

thanks.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Hello, Awesome mods u guys r putting to ffviii
I have few question, I'm using the high poly models, the majority of the texture work in most of the areas, expect some(missing the body texture, Head works) I was wondering if there a step by step where I can find the hash code for them I look all over the forum really confuse to finding them, all the low poly work great, but I prefer the high ones

thanks.

Thanks. :) It's not too complicated. You just go into the Tonberry folder and remove the zero from the "debug" folder. Start up your game, best in windowed mode, and just go into the areas the textures aren't replaced. They'll show up inside "nomatch", I think the folder is called? Use Berrymapper to hash the textures and put the hash codes in the RF hash map making sure to put the correct name/for the corresponding texture in front of the code.

ht91pebb

• View Profile
Thanks. :) It's not too complicated. You just go into the Tonberry folder and remove the zero from the "debug" folder. Start up your game, best in windowed mode, and just go into the areas the textures aren't replaced. They'll show up inside "nomatch", I think the folder is called? Use Berrymapper to hash the textures and put the hash codes in the RF hash map making sure to put the correct name/for the corresponding texture in front of the code.

Thanks FatedCourage :)

azreolt

• View Profile
Hey guys, I've got one problem with this mod. Every other mod I installed works but this one doesn't seem to work as intented. I saw other screenshots and my in game characters don't look like them. Or they do? I'm confused. How can I fix it? (newest versions of tonberry/rebirth flame + every file is in right place checked 100 times).

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Hey guys, I've got one problem with this mod. Every other mod I installed works but this one doesn't seem to work as intented. I saw other screenshots and my in game characters don't look like them. Or they do? I'm confused. How can I fix it? (newest versions of tonberry/rebirth flame + every file is in right place checked 100 times).

Everything looks right to me... Unless I'm missing something. The game switches between low poly and high poly models is all. So models change depending on the areas you're in.

I believe you can make it all high poly, but no guarantee there aren't glitches and I never tested or made a hashmap for it.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Now updated to v1.3. This update includes upscaled characters and weapons for those who don't want the new textures. (Might try and touch up the upscales some more later.) But know that using the upscaled textures will show some UV errors that even non-upscaled characters have. You can see what I mean with the pictures I've added to the download page.

I've also split up the textures into different downloads rather than one big one. Just to lessen the file size to download. I've also touched up some other textures. And...that should be it, I think.

asfr11

• View Profile
Now updated to v1.3. This update includes upscaled characters and weapons for those who don't want the new textures. (Might try and touch up the upscales some more later.) But know that using the upscaled textures will show some UV errors that even non-upscaled characters have. You can see what I mean with the pictures I've added to the download page.

I've also split up the textures into different downloads rather than one big one. Just to lessen the file size to download. I've also touched up some other textures. And...that should be it, I think.

Thank you very much for the update. :)

By the way, has the problem with models turning into original PSX versions when afflicted by zombie or petrification status been fixed?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Thank you very much for the update. :)

By the way, has the problem with models turning into original PSX versions when afflicted by zombie or petrification status been fixed?

You're welcome. :)

Sadly not... I tried, but I ran into collision problems. Some codes with Petrify, Zombie, and just the normal textures are duplicated. Meaning some petrified textures will show on Zombie and vice versa. So I had to abandon it for now. :( If Tonberry ever gets updated again, I might be able to pull it off.

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile

Thank you so much for the upscaled models! thats exactly what I was looking for!