Author Topic: Mute  (Read 8827 times)

-gone away-

• View Profile
Mute
« on: 2006-01-29 01:38:41 »
Is there anyway to mute a particular app without muting everything else.

I have this Chocobo World thing running while im playing FF8 and it just wont shut up. The volume of it overpowers everything else.

Sub Xero

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-20 23:35:23 »
Just press the 'S' key.

-gone away-

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-21 00:01:37 »
Hah, thanks... i didn't know about that.

Goku7

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-21 01:46:15 »
Alternatively, the music volume should be able to be controlled by opening the Windows Volume Control and using either the  "Wave" or "MIDI" volume sliders, depending upon your soundcard -- 9 times outta 10, its gonna be the Wave slider, though.

Most likely, the reason why it's blaring in the first place is because DirectMusic (in my experience) has this habit of arbitrarily setting its specified synthesizer at an extremely high volume when it's first started, which in turn overrides your current volume setting in the Windows Vol. Control.  Simply manipulating the slider once it has done this should be enough to "lower the boom", so to speak.

-gone away-

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #4 on: 2006-02-21 03:42:03 »
Quote from: Goku7
Alternatively, the music volume should be able to be controlled by opening the Windows Volume Control and using either the  "Wave" or "MIDI" volume sliders, depending upon your soundcard -- 9 times outta 10, its gonna be the Wave slider, though.

Both app's use MIDI so you cannot do it that way without turning down the volume of both of them which isn't what i wanted.

Goku7

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #5 on: 2006-02-21 04:04:09 »
Oh, so you were running both programs at the same time, then.

...why?

AFAIK, it's not necessary to do that, since Chocobo World should save its own data regardless of whether FF8 is running or not, and you simply return the choco back to FF8 the next time you launch the game -- I mean, what's the point of launching FF8 if you're just leaving it in the background while playing a little Choco World?

Then again, I'm assuming that that's what you're doing -- if it's the other way around (choco world in background while playing FF8), isn't that equally as pointless?

-gone away-

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #6 on: 2006-02-21 04:10:48 »
Quote from: Goku7
Then again, I'm assuming that that's what you're doing -- if it's the other way around (choco world in background while playing FF8), isn't that equally as pointless?

No its not pointless, it collects the items for you automatically. It's fine to run them at the same time. I play FF8 while its running in the background. As soon as you catch your first chocobo you can then import all those items... its saves wasting time.

Goku7

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #7 on: 2006-02-21 04:41:43 »
...Wait, what?!

*Fires up Choco World for the first time in months*

Oh, yeah, I forgot. The "Event Wait" option/setting.  Duh.

I suppose you have it set to "off" and let little Boco wander off on his own forever? :P  Heh...I'll have to try that sometime.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Mute
« Reply #8 on: 2006-02-21 04:52:42 »
Yeah, I realized that you can just copy Chocobo.exe to a different computer and let it run and you'll get items (got a computer just sitting around?).

I don't understand why that program is such a CPU hog.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Mute
« Reply #9 on: 2006-02-21 06:25:17 »
Because Square/Eidos never actually used the Sleep command right. They prefer to go into controlled loop "without sleeping" which literally eats your MHz.

dziugo

Goku7

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #10 on: 2006-02-21 06:27:08 »
Several possibilities, Aaron:

1.) REALLYYYY sloppy coding on Square's part :wink:

2.) The really retarded idea to give that mini-game a theme song, which then required them to bother accessing DirectMusic, the FF8.DLS file (taking up an additional 8 to ~45mb RAM for samples, depending upon the whether the user has stuff from FFSF) adding even MORE overhead to what would have been a relatively small, fast program..... :roll:

3.) A wizard did it. :wicked:

-gone away-

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #11 on: 2006-02-21 18:51:03 »

Hehe, yea it totally slows down every app you use unless you have a p4 like mine. That way it only uses 50% rather than 100% of your cpu.

Goku7

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #12 on: 2006-02-21 20:29:33 »
Quote from: dziugo
Because Square/Eidos never actually used the Sleep command right. They prefer to go into controlled loop "without sleeping" which literally eats your MHz.

dziugo

I wonder if that is largely due to the fact that the original version of Chocobo World was on that "Pocketstation" thing, which probably didn't need to multitask, and therefore needed no sleep.

Squaresoft probably just did a direct port over to the Windows environment, checked to see if it would launch, and stopped its testing there.  Rewriting it so that it would use a sleep command correctly probably didn't even cross their minds. -_-

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Mute
« Reply #13 on: 2006-02-22 00:03:41 »
Quote from: smithie

Hehe, yea it totally slows down every app you use unless you have a p4 like mine. That way it only uses 50% rather than 100% of your cpu.

With hyperthreading, it's a little wierd --- Windows can report that a program is only using 50% of the CPU when it is really using 100%, unless the program has been written to take advantage of both pipelines.

Anyway, yeah I understand how the program can be written poorly and that can cause the high CPU usage.  It's nothing to do with the music, because it does this even if the music file is missing.  :-P  I was just complaining for the sake of it.  It's silly that the little app kills the CPU, I might run it on my web server or something all the time if it was as low-upkeep as it should be.

-gone away-

• View Profile
Mute
« Reply #14 on: 2006-02-22 04:22:51 »
The good thing about hyperthreading is you can disable it for any app you want. you can select which cpu(simulated cpu) you want to process the app with. Or if you really want you can disable it altogether in the bios.