Author Topic: New Layout  (Read 34426 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
New Layout
« on: 2011-08-13 12:32:58 »
Well the new layout is finished for now. If you have any thoughts/ideas/concerns about it please post them here.

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
Re: New Layout
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-13 18:21:05 »
I appreciate the new look and organization.  I'm sure it wasn't easy.. so thank you very much!

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-14 01:55:07 »
new sections look great and its far more easier to find stuff then it was before, thanks for the change.

maybe u guys (u guys beings forum mods/admins) could consider a new theme to spice up the forum a bit?  ;D

Giullio

• Where is the love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-14 18:46:46 »
Much better, I guess that now there won't be so many questions about character models lol :D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-14 22:29:27 »
Maybe I'm just blind, but seems to me we can't move topics directly from Audio Mods into its Releases section without first moving it to a separate board all together.   Anyone want to verify this?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-14 23:48:11 »
Likewise.

For some reason, when I try to move a topic in the audio board, my move options don't include movement to the releases sub-board. It's as though the releases board is being identified with the audio board, so it's getting filtered from the options just as the audio board does (and should, as it's the 'current' board when I'm moving a topic).

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-14 23:48:53 »
Ditto. Well that is a pain.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-15 00:25:08 »
Doesn't happen with the other boards though.  You'll see if you try to move something from Graphical Mods to its Releases subsection it will go

Audio Mods
Releases
Releases
Gameplay Mods
Releases
etc etc

That 2nd  Releases is no doubt the graphic mod release child board.  I guess audio being first listed is the problem?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-15 00:35:05 »
It could be, but i have no way of fixing it.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-15 00:36:25 »
Could it have something to do with the forum having too much boards? Cause AFAIK, it wasn't an issue before...

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-21 16:07:14 »
Aali's driver now has its own subforum to help make it easier to find.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-28 03:44:34 »
Well I made a handful of small changes to board descriptions and names, and also implemented an extremely rudimentary google search bar which should be basically yelling at you on the homepage.  I know next to nothing about html but I will do my best to clean it up and position it better.

Added <td><script src="//www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/cse/api/007414179022923604322/cse/fxpivp1vwy8/gadget&amp;synd=open&amp;w=288&amp;h=79&amp;title=Qhimm&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&amp;output=js"></script></td> on line 304 in the index.template.php file

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-28 13:18:40 »
I like it, but we might want to handle its styling.

Instead of using CSE (where I think we have to pay to tailor the HTML), perhaps we could just point to a site:qhimm.com search with a simple form:

Code: [Select]
<form name="google-search" method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">
   <input type="hidden" name="sitesearch" value="http://forums.qhimm.com/" />
   <input name="q" type="text" />
   <input type="submit" name="sa" value="Search" />
</form>

We could then use some simple CSS to style it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-28 14:52:40 »
It's not a big deal whether they are changed or not, but here is what sticks out to me.

1. The location of the Google Custom Search. If it's possible, move it to the right underneath the Qhimm search bar.

2. On most forums, General Discussion is the first board. We had it like that, but now it's second.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-28 15:40:25 »
I'll try to implement it now, if you see it, your code worked, if it's still the CSE, it didn't.  I also have another idea, it will ruin one of the other themes installed, but since we don't allow changing of themes anyways, it just might work...

Aali's driver is now first because it is no doubt THE most important thing on these forums.  It is nearly a necessity to get the game running and for using about 95% of the mods provided here.   General discussion is all well and good, but this forum is much more a modding community than a place for chit chat.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2012-08-28 16:38:10 »
Can we remove the existing search form, too?

You should also set a class="button_submit" on the 'Google Search' button too.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 2012-08-28 16:53:59 »
The Google Search bar looks nice.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-08-28 17:11:55 »
My reading around on SMF forums seems to suggest that the built in search function for sites is needed/useful (despite popular belief).

There was a mod that enabled a dropdown box beside the searchbox that allowed you to pick SMF, Google, Bing, Yahoo.  But I think it required me to have access to the server or v2.0 RC5 wasn't fully supported.

Either way I think this works pretty damn well :)   Bosola, is their a way to make it search the specific url you are at instead of always doing a broad forums.qhimm.com search?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-08-28 17:16:52 »
Hopefully a minor tweak, but would it be possible to make the buttons (SMF Search, Google Search) the same width? That way the boxes would line up, the buttons would line up, and as a whole it would look neater.

No worries if you can't, or even if ya just don't feel like it. :P This is already a huge improvement over the way it looked a few hours ago, and having the better search available should really help reduce the re-asking of old questions.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-08-28 18:30:31 »
Lol, that was more of a placeholder to show it can be done and get someone more knowledgeable interested in making it look better.  ;-)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 2012-08-28 22:20:33 »
Bosola, is their a way to make it search the specific url you are at instead of always doing a broad forums.qhimm.com search?

I'm not sure how you mean; do you mean searching within the current thread?

You could probably do that by getting the current URL in the PHP script and tailoring the form HTML accordingly.

Hopefully a minor tweak, but would it be possible to make the buttons (SMF Search, Google Search) the same width? That way the boxes would line up, the buttons would line up, and as a whole it would look neater.

Sure.

The easiest way to align them would be to reverse the orders of elements in the form (put the input type="submit" elements before the input type="text"s), float:right them and remove the default space that's added to inside the SMF search field (I really don't know why that's there). Then set a min-width on the buttons in the CSS (let's say 9em) and finally set a margin-left on those buttons of whatever width you choose (let's say 2em).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-08-29 05:37:51 »
I'm not sure how you mean; do you mean searching within the current thread?

You could probably do that by getting the current URL in the PHP script and tailoring the form HTML accordingly.

Sure.

The easiest way to align them would be to reverse the orders of elements in the form (put the input type="submit" elements before the input type="text"s), float:right them and remove the default space that's added to inside the SMF search field (I really don't know why that's there). Then set a min-width on the buttons in the CSS (let's say 9em) and finally set a margin-left on those buttons of whatever width you choose (let's say 2em).
I mainly ask because my one attempt to skin SMF in the past ended in disaster. In static HTML or wordpress, it's easy as sin, but SMF's weird tables make all kinds of excess difficulty.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-08-29 23:41:22 »
I hope you don't mind me making a note here...

I mainly ask because my one attempt to skin SMF in the past ended in disaster. In static HTML or wordpress, it's easy as sin, but SMF's weird tables make all kinds of excess difficulty.

did you notice that the stars (?) are not available, and thus showing [X]
looking at the props:
http://forums.qhimm.com/Themes/Curve_Rc5_New_Generation5/images/stars/gmod.gif

will end up in
Code: [Select]
Not Found
The requested URL /Themes/Curve_Rc5_New_Generation5/images/stars/gmod.gif was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at forums.qhimm.com Port 80

8)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-08-30 00:14:26 »
Yes I know things are sort of messed up right now. Still trying to figure out a solution. First priority was getting the forum up and running again.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-08-30 02:04:49 »
See the part that says RC5 Curve New generation?  Change that folder to Default instead.  Without server access, it might involve having to delete the old groups of Newbie, Freak, and etc and create new ones in their place.

Edit: proof they are still there http://forums.qhimm.com/Themes/default/images/stars/06.gif
« Last Edit: 2012-08-30 02:11:49 by Obesebear »