Author Topic: [FF7:R] Materia will change...sort of...  (Read 4961 times)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
[FF7:R] Materia will change...sort of...
« on: 2019-06-25 01:04:11 »
https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-materia/amp/

Equipping system will likely remain unchanged, but Materia effects will change to accommodate the different combat system.

What Materia do you see needing a change? For me, E. Skill and Manipulate come to mind right away. I can't see that mechanic working in this combat system.

Izban

• View Profile
Re: [FF7:R] Materia will change...sort of...
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-25 11:36:30 »
There was plenty of rubbish materia, and the system wasn't fully fleshed out I don't really have a problem if they don't have all the materia from the original in game considering most of it didn't become available until after midgar.

Some of it stylistically won't fit with the new combat system, summons are a good example of that, but summons are in midgar this time around, I have a feeling they are gonna take a crisis core feel to the magic, as that's what it looks like so far only more smoothly intergrated

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-25 12:56:58 »
Manipulate was always terrible and likely cost them a TON of time in the original game.  I've actually removed it from my Weapon mod and refused to bug fix it in any way - it's that poor.
Aren't there a handful of enemy skills that can only be acquired via manipulate, though?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2019-06-25 13:17:56 »
Aren't there a handful of enemy skills that can only be acquired via manipulate, though?

That's why I listed them both together. Don't see that mechanic being very fun in an ARPG.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-06-25 14:39:46 »
Why not? Seems to me as a good ability for Cait Sith. Instead of playing the robot you can control a weak enemy. And e.skill is probably for Red XIII as special ability also a good idea.

Kefka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-06-25 15:57:14 »
https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-materia/amp/

Equipping system will likely remain unchanged, but Materia effects will change to accommodate the different combat system.

What Materia do you see needing a change? For me, E. Skill and Manipulate come to mind right away. I can't see that mechanic working in this combat system.

I can't say that I'm surprised, given the entirely different combat mechanics in the remake. It's only logical that certain materia effects cannot be tranferred 1:1 from the original.

I'd say most Magic materia can stay as they are, perhaps with some slight tweaks (maybe introducing a sort of 'casting time', like FFIV had, for example?).

The basic summon mechanic could be left intact as well, or they could make the summons appear as temporary additional combatants like in FFX or XII. My personal preference would be the classical one-time summons, but who knows what they might come up with.

Materia that definitely won't work in an action combat system are all those that relate to physical attacks, e.g. Double Cut (judging by the trailers, everyone and their mom already seems to have 4xCut or more as an innate ability, lol), Slash-All, Death Blow, Added Cut, Counterattack, Counter, Magic Counter. How will counterattacks be handled in an action-RPG anyway? I imagine the entire mechanic needs to undergo a huge change to still function properly.

Since there is no longer a change from 'field screen' to 'battle screen', Materia like Pre-emptive or Sneak Attack will also be among those that'll likely be either dramatically altered or scrapped altogether.

I can see them keeping All, Elemental and Added Effect, as those only define your targeting and elemental/status properties, so that shouldn't be a problem. All could likely be altered a little to encompass a certain area or 'effective range' for the spell, and that area could get bigger by leveling the materia.

Stat raising materia should be fine as well. I could even imagine them keeping Enemy Lure or Enemy Away, making them work by having the enemies move in on you/away from you as you go around exploring.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2019-06-25 22:14:22 »
In terms of Magics, I can see either sleep going away. Possibly Confuse and/or Berserk as well. Technically these are statuses, but I don't see how those statuses would work well in this format. Silence I can imagine working better than Darkness.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-06-26 00:11:33 »
In terms of Magics, I can see either sleep going away. Possibly Confuse and/or Berserk as well. Technically these are statuses, but I don't see how those statuses would work well in this format. Silence I can imagine working better than Darkness.

The way confuse works in FF15 is basically by switching your direction controls randomly so you can't really fully control where you're walking and what enemies to hit and it also makes you use random warps/magic so they could do something similar here. Sleep works perfectly on 15 too, the character just sits there doing nothing and unable to move and with the sleep icon on their head so that would work well here too. Berserk is probably gone.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-07-04 12:42:22 »
Beserk and sadness are confirmed though

morningstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-07-05 23:29:59 »
I don't think either that this format is compatible with it.

UC Browser SHAREit MX Player
« Last Edit: 2019-08-09 21:18:46 by morningstar »

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-07-06 07:34:31 »
Sorry not berserk fury and sadness are in game confirmed, E3 trailer tifa has sadness during Aps fight