Author Topic: FF14 panned by critics and users  (Read 46490 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
FF14 panned by critics and users
« on: 2010-10-07 16:22:02 »
Squeenix should really give up

Gamespot gives FFXIV 40%

What's intersting about the second picture is that not a single person gave it over 90%. A poor showing indeed!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF14 panned by critics and users
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-07 16:27:44 »
Seriously, if they make another MMO, it needs to be based on Crystal Chronicles. I could EASILY see that working well.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-07 17:28:32 »
i think they will eventually start making only online final fantasies.

that's because there is more money to be made there. who cares about fans of singleplayer when you can earn much more on mmorpg no-lifes?
« Last Edit: 2010-10-07 18:04:19 by yoshi314 »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-07 18:41:59 »
If they make one more online FF game after 14, I'm never buying an SE game ever again, regardless of if it's FF or not.

LostWingx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-07 19:09:14 »
At what point did this horrible transformation of square/enix begin?  as far as I know each of these companies produced primarily for the fans before the merger and were happy with making tens of millions, likely hundreds of millions of dollars.  FFX i thought was the beginning of the end since the fans were pretty split on whether they liked it or not...i guess the younger fans won and since then Squeenix has been producing for those mindless idiots who think pretty colors and asburity are what makes games good.  Money + Stupidity = everything wrong in the world today.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-07 19:19:22 »
Square Enix still makes all sorts of great games, it's just the Final Fantasy series that's started sucking. Dragon Quest IX kicked ass, Space Invaders Extreme kicked ass, and Kingdom Hearts II kicked ass.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-07 19:25:48 »
At what point did this horrible transformation of square/enix begin?

The horrible transformation happened when they joined. Square raped Enix and the result of that night of passion is the deformed demon baby that is Squeenix

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-08 02:02:26 »
That's pretty shocking considering the ridiculous fan service that can't wait to slap 10 on a FF game....

LostWingx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-08 02:26:11 »
Too bad you guys couldn't submit the mods here to game review magazines. "FFVII: Qhimm Remix 10/10  FFXV -6/10"

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-08 04:52:52 »
I don't know why they decided to get into the MMO business, I tried XI and hated it and played a bit of XIV and hated it as well. It's a shame that they're both in the main series. I like Covarr's idea though, a CC MMO might actually turn out to be pretty cool.

As for where the FF series is going, I love X-2, LOATHE XII and love XIII. So for me, the quality is pretty sprodiac (but it's always been) so wheter or not I find the series is going downhill will depend on the quality of the next FF game.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-08 05:50:28 »
The horrible transformation happened when they joined. Square raped Enix and the result of that night of passion is the deformed demon baby that is Squeenix

Kudistos you always have the most...colorful of interpretations...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-08 12:12:06 »
At what point did this horrible transformation of square/enix begin?

I remember being abused on one forum for saying that but unfortunately it is absolutely true.  After FFX (imho the last brilliant FF game), we started having a huge shift in the number of games being made and the quality went the other way.  We had spin off cash ins of VII by the bucket full, we had remakes, and then we had what I feel are disasters, FF12, FF13, FFX-2.  I remember with Square, when you bought Final Fantasy, you KNEW it would be quality and you would be hooked.

Then Hironobu and Nobuo jumped ship, Enix merger... bye bye.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-08 13:06:05 »

That's pretty bland by most of his comparisons.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-10-08 13:23:39 »
Heh.  The series the company murdered left behind spin-offs... to haunt us all!

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-08 13:26:04 »
i personally don't consider ff12 a disaster. merely an unfinished game. i like how different and non-mundane it is.

after merger, squeenix started releasing games developed by other companies, e.g tri-ace or vanillaware. actually some of those 3rd party games are pretty decent. and in comparison their own in-house games look pretty bad.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-08 16:23:29 »

That's pretty bland by most of his comparisons.

Awww, sowwy to disappoint you.

I'll come up with something more colourful next time, OK NFI-kun?

Then Hironobu and Nobuo jumped ship, Enix merger... bye bye.

I think the loss of some of the most important members of the Square team isn't mentioned enough when people talk about why the compnay jumped the shark. It's the same with the decline in quality of the Simpsons. The original writers, the people who made it great, aren't all there any more. How could it possibly be as good if the people replacing them aren't equally brilliant?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-10-08 16:58:52 »
Yeah and Sakaguchi made a pretty decent attempt with his new team, for the game Lost Odyssey.  He was obviously a bigger part of Square than some people gave him credit.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-10-09 22:20:21 »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-final-fantasy/705893

OMG! Absolutely terrible, I think the question is no longer "can square regain there former glory?" rather "is that company still in business?".

Such a shame I have such font memories of Square games Ahhh...warm glow of the picture tube snacking on my assortment of junk food. This simple fan girl is very disappointed in the latest events :x!. In fact giving that I dont really like most FF games on has to wonder was FF7 a fluke?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-09 22:40:08 »
I don't know why they decided to get into the MMO business, I tried XI and hated it and played a bit of XIV and hated it as well. It's a shame that they're both in the main series. I like Covarr's idea though, a CC MMO might actually turn out to be pretty cool.

As for where the FF series is going, I love X-2, LOATHE XII and love XIII. So for me, the quality is pretty sprodiac (but it's always been) so wheter or not I find the series is going downhill will depend on the quality of the next FF game.

dun kill me for saying this but i actually liked XII a bit, i hated the story and the characters were... well lame, but i actually found myself enjoying battle and the amount of grinding i had to do to get 100 percent

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-10-09 22:47:24 »

dun kill me for saying this but i actually liked XII a bit, i hated the story and the characters were... well lame, but i actually found myself enjoying battle and the amount of grinding i had to do to get 100 percent
The battle system in XII was fantastic. It had no business being called Final Fantasy, but it was fun.

The dungeon layouts, on the other hand, were very "needs improvement".

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #20 on: 2010-10-10 01:28:44 »

The battle system in XII was fantastic. It had no business being called Final Fantasy, but it was fun.

The dungeon layouts, on the other hand, were very "needs improvement".

don't remind me, my friend and i had to grind in thoughs mines with all the skeletons, and i absolutely hated that place, i also liked how characters standed slightly differently from eachother with weapons, so one character holding a 2-handed sword stands differently from another character holding a two handed sword, still, i'd like to see a game with great dungeons and an awesome storyline, using XII's battle system

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: 2010-10-10 18:53:17 »
Yeah... big surprise...
I knew 14 would suck balls. I absolutely despise all kinds of MMO. Hearing 14 would be one was a disappointment. The music and graphics are the only things good with this pile of s**t.

The 1st time I was sceptic towards a FF, was with 10. Tidus can go f**k himself, the voice acting was awkward and the overall design was messed up. But it was still a good game imo. X-2 sucked monkey balls. I must admit the gameplay was quite good though.

11 was... well, a mmorpg. One of the better ones (mmorpg not FF) imo, but still a mmorpg.

12... you probably think I'm gonna say it sucks, but it doesn't, so I won't. :x I can understand where the hate comes from, on the basis that change creates hatred ,but, still, it doesn't suck.
Imo 12 was better than 10 for a number of reasons: The lack of that "anime feel" most of the FFs have (story, design, characters etc). Vaan is less annoying than Tidus. 12 got better overall design. 12 has better voice acting. 12 is less linear.
But there are problems with 12 as well: Like wtf is Vaan and Penelo doing in the story? Random treasures, wtf? Why the hell shouldn't the player start with all gambits and 12 gambit slots? Why can't I control the guests or the espers?
But, hell, I can come up with multiple problems with all FFs. If you dig deep enough the true sh*t will eventually emerge.

13... haven't played yet. But I don't like the overall "anime feel" I get by looking at it. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate anime, I just can't stand the design and the in most of 'em. It's so effin awkward. Wtf is up with those huuuge eyes?

14... I'm not gonna try it. Really, I couldn't care less about it.

I bet 15 will be a game targeted at 12-16 year olds who loves anime. It will have an emo lead character who got nothing to do with the main story. I am hoping squeenix, however, will make a bit more mature FF sometime. If the designers of the next FF get inspiration from Berserk or Conan the barbarian I wouldn't mind.  :evil:
« Last Edit: 2010-10-10 18:54:50 by gjoerulv »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-10-10 20:18:43 »
Wtf is up with those huuuge eyes?

Big eyes are kawaii!

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-10-10 21:47:19 »
In both 10 and 12, there are characters who are utterly pointless.

In 10 we have Tidus, despite being the primary player character he could actually be removed from the game with little effect, since the plot is actually about Yuna and her journey.

In 12 you could dispose of Vaan and Penelo because the game is more about Ashe and her story.

10, 12 and 13 were 3 of the worst JRPGs of the last 10 years, in both 12 and 13 I actually gave up part way through because I was so fed of playing the damn games, I got the Judges fight on the Airship in 12 and was so underleveled I had to spend hours grinding only get back up there and still get my ass handed to me, in 13 however the game is so damn linear and the characters so damn shallow/dull/rehashed from previous games(mostly rehashed from VII infact)/annoying that I just could take it.

As for 11, I felt is was a good lesson in how now to make an MMO, boring combat that tries to emulate earlier menu driven FF games in an MMO universe, the worse interface I have even seen in a game outright, we have a mouse let us use it for fucks sake, the game is also a massive grind, in the time it takes to get your first couple of levels in FF14 you've already hit 10+ in most other MMOs, a long boring grind is not a substitute for longevity.

14 from what I've heard is little more than a streamlined version of 11, they've simply fixed up the graphics slapped a new world in, kept the boring grind and not even bothered properly testing the game since I'm hearing reports of regularly falling through the map and broken battles.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: 2010-10-10 22:01:50 »
>Stuff about Tidus not being important in the story of FFX

...what?

I'm not understanding any this FF10 hate to be honest, there isn't a single character that doesn't have a really good story behind them. Fair enough, the voices were a bit hit and miss, but they'd never done voice acting in an FF before - you can't expect square, as good as they were, to have gotten everything 100% perfect the first time.