Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838172 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3775 on: 2016-06-13 19:59:09 »
Hey Sega, thanks for this awesome mod. I have a question though, I fiddled a bit with my Kernel (and kernel2) via Wallmarket prior to the patch, and it seems like the text to a lot of the content, like materia and equipment, are not updated (Lv 1. Skill for Heal is "Death" instead of "Osmore", although it does drain MP instead of inflicting death)

Since this is my first playthrough, I feel like I'm missing a lot of important information. Do you have the raw data files that I can just copy into my data folder? Thank you so much.

Sounds like the kernel2 might be out of whack. I'll arrange something.

Nope, Laser is working perfectly. Laser was changed to be able to kill what it hit. Creatures weak against Gravity can also be killed by the "Demi" spells. ^_^

Anyways, I seem to have encountered a bug on disk three. The Weapon Master guy who crafts said weapons seems to state that he's unable to make Cait Sith's "Ultimate" weapon due to lacking the required items, even though the three listed items are things I have. I think that the "List" in the coding is different from what's being stated in the text or whathaveyou. I haven't encountered this issue with any of the other "Ultimate" weapons though (still haven't gotten the items needed for Yuffie, Red, Cid, and Barret's weapons yet, though if I find any issue I will speak up), only seem to be having this issue with Cait Sith's HP Shout.

I think it's a wrong check or something. When the flevel is (inevitably) updated this issue should be fixed too; was holding off until dark cave was done, but time is marching on so I'll need to fire up new patches soon.

exsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: 2016-06-14 03:53:26 »
Thank you so much. I want to add that in my specific case, copying the files and overwriting them don't work for some awkward reason. Opening the Kernel.bin from Wallmarket before copying the file yields all the updated names, but once that same file is copied into the data folder, and before booting the game, it immediately displays the wrong names. I also tried creating kernel2 before updating them all together, still no luck.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: 2016-06-14 06:35:10 »
I have problems with your kernel2 Sega. Lots of blackscreens... myst6re will look at it to see if he can repair it.

natepley

• View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: 2016-06-14 15:01:28 »
I personally like doing more than 9999 damage with hits, but I know you designed your mod without break damage limit in mind.  I was wondering, though, if break damage limit could be applied to some attacks but not others.  For example, if Red's, Yuffie's, and Vincent's level 4 limits could break damage limit, they would be closer to the power of other characters final limits.  Bahamut Zero could break damage limit making him much more powerful than the first Bahamut.  Not sure if that's possible, but maybe it could be useful.  Also, would it be possible to make the damage limit 10,000?  That would be so much more satisfying than 9999 without throwing off the game balance.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: 2016-06-14 18:20:59 »
Thank you so much. I want to add that in my specific case, copying the files and overwriting them don't work for some awkward reason. Opening the Kernel.bin from Wallmarket before copying the file yields all the updated names, but once that same file is copied into the data folder, and before booting the game, it immediately displays the wrong names. I also tried creating kernel2 before updating them all together, still no luck.

I have problems with your kernel2 Sega. Lots of blackscreens... myst6re will look at it to see if he can repair it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a security issue; as in, the file needs to be unblocked through Properties because it came from another computer. That or it's in the wrong place; which version are you playing, Silver? Steam, 1998, or 7th Heaven?

As far as repairs go, Myst6re might be able to identify the problem but NFITC1 made the tool itself. Are you opening the Kernel.bin with the tool, or the kernel2.bin? I usually just open the Kernel itself and it seems to open both files in the folder.

I personally like doing more than 9999 damage with hits, but I know you designed your mod without break damage limit in mind.  I was wondering, though, if break damage limit could be applied to some attacks but not others.  For example, if Red's, Yuffie's, and Vincent's level 4 limits could break damage limit, they would be closer to the power of other characters final limits.  Bahamut Zero could break damage limit making him much more powerful than the first Bahamut.  Not sure if that's possible, but maybe it could be useful.  Also, would it be possible to make the damage limit 10,000?  That would be so much more satisfying than 9999 without throwing off the game balance.

That's definitely an advantage of break 9999; you can push certain otherwise underpowered attacks right up and make them viable again. On the other hand, working within the confines of 9999 let's me keep a better handle on %-based damage reduction effects and shrinks the amount of variance I have to keep in mind when speccing attacks/enemy HP & stats.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: 2016-06-14 18:35:09 »
As far as repairs go, Myst6re might be able to identify the problem but NFITC1 made the tool itself. Are you opening the Kernel.bin with the tool, or the kernel2.bin? I usually just open the Kernel itself and it seems to open both files in the folder.

I open the Kernel and save with "Create Kernel.bin and kernel2.bin". Some modifications works well but others causes black screen at the start of the game. I'll see with myst6re what he can do with this. For Neo-Midgar he did a special kernel2 without limits. Maybe he can do the same for your kernel2.

exsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: 2016-06-14 22:55:19 »
The only thing I can think of is maybe a security issue; as in, the file needs to be unblocked through Properties because it came from another computer. That or it's in the wrong place; which version are you playing, Silver? Steam, 1998, or 7th Heaven?

It's the steam version, I believe. I dropped the files in the folder lang-en. Like, all the moves work and are updated, it's just that the text isn't updated for some reason. I tried using a patch (.wm) using WallMarket, but that didn't work either.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: 2016-06-14 23:25:21 »
I open the Kernel and save with "Create Kernel.bin and kernel2.bin". Some modifications works well but others causes black screen at the start of the game. I'll see with myst6re what he can do with this. For Neo-Midgar he did a special kernel2 without limits. Maybe he can do the same for your kernel2.

An expanded kernel2 sounds interesting; I wonder if that means more AI can be put in, or if it's just for text.

It's the steam version, I believe. I dropped the files in the folder lang-en. Like, all the moves work and are updated, it's just that the text isn't updated for some reason. I tried using a patch (.wm) using WallMarket, but that didn't work either.

If placing the files directly into the game hasn't worked either, then the only thing I can think of is that the file isn't trusted by the PC and needs to be unblocked through Properties, that or Steam is doing some weird half-assed file verification thing and restoring the default kernel2 but not the other files.

exsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: 2016-06-15 03:21:03 »
If placing the files directly into the game hasn't worked either, then the only thing I can think of is that the file isn't trusted by the PC and needs to be unblocked through Properties, that or Steam is doing some weird half-assed file verification thing and restoring the default kernel2 but not the other files.

Can you tell me how to specifically do so?

On another note, I was going to just rename all of the stuff manually out of frustration, and found out that no matter which Kernel.bin (yours, the original, or copied) was thrown in the lang-en folder, it would update all the functions but never the names or descriptions of anything. Maybe it's a WallMarket bug? How are the descriptions linked to the folder location and not the file itself? I don't know computers.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: 2016-06-15 03:24:24 »
The kernel and kernel2 need to be together in the same folder as far as I know. To unblock a file that isn't trusted, right-click on it (the kernel2.bin in this case) and select Properties. At the bottom of the small window that should appear, under Attributes, will be a button that says 'unblock'. If this isn't there, then it means the file is already unblocked.

For modding, the Kernel and kernel2.bin need to be in the same folder, as far as I know. Kernel2 is the text, kernel is the data (I think).

exsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: 2016-06-15 06:36:43 »
Nope, it's already unblocked.

*SIGH* I'm going to hate you for making such a great mod where I have to copy paste all of the description.

xenofears

• View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: 2016-06-15 11:58:19 »
Is haste supposed to last the entire battle? I dont remember the behavior in vanilla. Lunatic high seems to produce a permanent status (barring KO)... very powerful.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: 2016-06-15 13:12:28 »
Nope, it's already unblocked.

*SIGH* I'm going to hate you for making such a great mod where I have to copy paste all of the description.

;-; there must be another way

Is haste supposed to last the entire battle? I dont remember the behavior in vanilla. Lunatic high seems to produce a permanent status (barring KO)... very powerful.

Yeah, Haste & Slow are permanent effects; all statuses behave as they did in the vanilla game.

natepley

• View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: 2016-06-15 16:55:44 »
That's definitely an advantage of break 9999; you can push certain otherwise underpowered attacks right up and make them viable again. On the other hand, working within the confines of 9999 let's me keep a better handle on %-based damage reduction effects and shrinks the amount of variance I have to keep in mind when speccing attacks/enemy HP & stats.

So break damage  limit can't be applied selectively?  It's all or nothing?  Like, in FF8, certain attacks could break the limit, like Quistis's best limit break, but most attacks were capped at 9999.  Could All Creation break the limit, while demi remains capped at 9999?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: 2016-06-15 17:06:13 »
It'd be all or nothing, but some attacks won't be capable of breaking it anyway because of the Level synch/enemy defences.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: 2016-06-15 20:36:13 »
hey sega chief

can you add the super nova spell on your mod please

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #3791 on: 2016-06-15 22:42:39 »
"I open the Kernel and save with "Create Kernel.bin and kernel2.bin". Some modifications works well but others causes black screen at the start of the game. I'll see with myst6re what he can do with this. For Neo-Midgar he did a special kernel2 without limits. Maybe he can do the same for your kernel2."

An expanded kernel2 sounds interesting; I wonder if that means more AI can be put in, or if it's just for text.

The kernel2 limit is still here, I use black magic to reduce its size. And for you question Sega Chief, there only texts in the kernel2, isn't it?

SunnyD

• View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: 2016-06-16 00:23:09 »
Is the Dark Cave coming in the next update? Or is it still TBA?

hey sega chief

can you add the super nova spell on your mod please

I believe the Super Nova animation causes the game to soft lock when used by player characters.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: 2016-06-16 03:16:46 »
The kernel2 limit is still here, I use black magic to reduce its size. And for you question Sega Chief, there only texts in the kernel2, isn't it?

Ah, it's just the kernel2 for texts that was expanded? Ah well.

Is the Dark Cave coming in the next update? Or is it still TBA?

I believe the Super Nova animation causes the game to soft lock when used by player characters.

Dark Cave is still in dev, and the supernova animation does softlock the game if used outside the Safer battle background (as far as I know).

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: 2016-06-16 07:40:29 »
hey

how much longer until the dark cave sidequest is released on your Mod

because i was waiting since april of this year of when your NT 1.4 Version of your Mod first came out

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: 2016-06-16 10:02:12 »
why did sega chief have to disable his dark cave sidequest for so long on his mod for

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: 2016-06-16 13:46:30 »
why did sega chief have to disable his dark cave sidequest for so long on his mod for

I'm re-doing it from the ground up, but I take breaks now and then to work out new ideas and make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Dahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: 2016-06-16 20:26:23 »
edit: nevermind, delete

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: 2016-06-17 09:50:43 »
sega chief

is there anyway you could just put the v1 of dark cave sidequest on this v 1.4 of this mod please

so people can play v1 of the dark cave sidequest while you work on v2 of the dark cave sidequest please
« Last Edit: 2016-06-17 10:13:09 by Zara9 »

SunnyD

• View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: 2016-06-17 10:53:04 »
sega chief

is there anyway you could just put the v1 of dark cave sidequest on this v 1.4 of this mod please

so people can play v1 of the dark cave sidequest while you work on v2 of the dark cave sidequest please

I doubt he'll do that. There has to be a reason he's redoing the entire sidequest. Either there are some major bugs in the existing version or he feels that it isn't up to standard and wants to get it right. Just have a little patience.