Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3039942 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03c)
« Reply #1675 on: 2015-06-26 12:41:37 »
It will be fully compatible with Steam.  It's one of the reasons I am switching to the old menu ;)  The exes addresses for main data are the same.

x033

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: 2015-06-26 12:55:18 »
Out of curiosity for the memory patches would it be possible to make one that stops the game from being paused when the window isn't in focus? It's kind of an annoying "feature" active on my steam release that stops me from multitasking when in windowed me.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1677 on: 2015-06-26 13:37:34 »
It will be fully compatible with Steam.  It's one of the reasons I am switching to the old menu ;)  The exes addresses for main data are the same.
Great, thanks! I'll be waiting for it then.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: 2015-06-26 13:43:23 »
Out of curiosity for the memory patches would it be possible to make one that stops the game from being paused when the window isn't in focus? It's kind of an annoying "feature" active on my steam release that stops me from multitasking when in windowed me.

I don't have the Steam version but anyone who has a decent assembly knowledge could do that.  The music stopping is how Aali has programmed it...  and I also find that annoying.  I like music to carry on.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: 2015-06-27 00:02:38 »
While going through the materia I've realized that some liberties need taking.  The Japanese uses Cloud specific materia naming, like "Added Cut".  That looks v dumb when equipped on Barrett.  And then you have "Slash All".

So I've renamed some of the materia to compensate.  I think this deviation is for the best really:

Added Cut = Added Attack
Slash All = Strike All (the command is Strike)
Consecutive Cut = Multistrike (the commands are 2x Atk and 4x Atk)

In addition, the "Omni All" materia had "Attack All" in the materia menu by accident.  This has now been changed to Omni All.

Diving materia is now Dive.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: 2015-06-27 02:13:23 »
Another before after

Beafore
http://i.imgur.com/5NQYfrg.png

After
http://i.imgur.com/bSdjFFl.png

Sorry about the name... there's a space before the first "O" haha

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: 2015-06-27 05:27:45 »
Tidier, prettier, less confusing to the eye and makes much more sense. I'm liking it.

Some observations though:
- LV 99 : Wouldn't Lv 99 be better, with a lower-case v ? (but if the font remains untouched, I don't know if you can alter that)

- Equips xxx magic : In that menu, I don't understand what is said to equip the magic. The materia ? Selecting the materia ? Equipping the materia ? Wouldn't "Equip xxx magic" (imperative mood) fit more ?
Or maybe that's the term Equip I'm not comfortable with. You're equipping a materia, ok, but then can you say that you're equipped with the magic that that materia lets you use ? You're equipped with the materia, not the magic.. I find it odd.
And when I think about it, the presence of those lines hardly makes sense.. Full Cure : Equips Full Cure magic, Shield : Equips Shield magic, and so on.. What's the point in being told that ?

- And some words look a bit awkward due to the spacing between the letters..
Sword looks like S wor d
Im perial
m agic
eff ect
T ornado
In tellect
Full C ure
Ultim a
Shiv a
If rit
Ram u
Some are slight, others aren't. But don't know if you can do something about that within the scope of that project.

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: 2015-06-27 07:13:35 »
Beafore
http://i.imgur.com/5NQYfrg.png

After
http://i.imgur.com/bSdjFFl.png

I agree with what White Wind mostly said as well.  I also have a few other quips with this last before/after pictures.

Top row:
1.) The 'Check' and 'Order' commands.  If possible, I don't see why they should be in between Wpn and Arm.  Maybe have them be out to the left between the stats and the materia???

2.) The word 'Wpn' and 'Arm'.  In the non-modified old menu, they were abbreviated because they had no space.  Seeing as how the modified version allows plenty of space, maybe they should be completely spelled out as 'Weapon' and 'Armor'?

3.) Dan, you've been a very detailed oriented modder to this day, and I admire and respect that aspect of yours.  So why not have the padding in the first box be equal to each other?  On the left of Cloud's picture has less spacing from the border than on the right of the materia section.  Not to mention that everything on the bottom is aligned with the picture, but not the top?  The name is slightly lower the the top of the picture, which in turn makes everything else on that same line a little bit lower, which also makes the top above 'Wpn' to have more space than the bottom.

Third row(left side):
1.) The location of the materia name is not aligned with the stars on the right.  The non-modified version had it right.  I don't see why you have the name float to the top left corner.  There's so much space to work with, and it's not like there's anything else that will use that space.  So why not align it like how the text is aligned on the right side (with the exception of the % symbols)?  TLDR; the name should be lowered to align with the stars and pushed to the right to left align it with 'Ability list' under it.

Edit:
Adding to White Wind's previous post.  LV -> Lv, because it's not an acronym.  HP/MP should be all caps because it stands for full words (hit points, magic points) whereas Lv is a singular word that is abbreviated like Weapon -> Wpn.

Consistency is the key.  :)
« Last Edit: 2015-06-27 07:16:30 by WatashiWaZero »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: 2015-06-27 08:33:02 »
1. I've looked into the font before, but it's a limitation with the font itself and is impossible to fix with just spacing changes.  Unfortunately, that is largely here to stay.  I'm going to go through it again soon and see if it can be improved.  It's also a limitation with how the menu squeezes the text together.  It *may* be possible to make each letter slightly wider by changing hard code data.

2.  Having "Weapon / Armour"  looks worse than Wpn Arm.  They then don't align nicely and you have to also use Accessory, which looks even more stupid in the Equip menu

3. LV again  aligns properly to HP MP and looks neat.  Lv doesn't and also means I have to change an actual font texture which is not easy.  The small v does not exist on that font.

4.  All of the other changes ed up making other parts look weird.  I'm afraid there really is no way to make it look any better, because changing one part ends up just making another part look crap.  It's a shit engine and menu system.  If you want to see what I mean, use photoshop and change things up.  You'll find the difference ends up negligible.

5.  I will look into moving the materia down, but if you look at it at the moment, the matreia name X is aligned with the "Ability List" word.  The element word ends up aligned with the abilities.  The matreia is aligned with the right side materia.

6.  The avatar IS centred.  It's just that you are not seeing the dark line on the border because of the dark red background.  A lighter colour makes it look centred.  One pixel change in hardcode results in 4 pixel change at that resolution... so that's as centred as the avatar can possibly get.

It's also an incredible amount of work to move things about.  Every single item requires 2 edits X Y.   But if you want to give me a picture of what you think is better, use PS.

Wouldn't "Equip xxx magic" (imperative mood) fit more ?

That's one for Covarr.  I personally think it makes more sense to say what the materia does and other areas of the game are consistent with that, like the command menu.

Full Cure : Equips Full Cure magic, Shield : Equips Shield magic, and so on.. What's the point in being told that ?

A limitation with kernel size (I think the size is increased now) and also what the Japanese says.  It doesn't offer any additional info.  It just says "Equips Full Cure materia [possibly magic]".  Other materias have an explanation.  I could add an explanation but then I'm also changing the game and I don't like going too far, plus what explanation can you really give for "Full Cure"?  "Fully restores HP to one target"?  Materia help is largely redundant.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-27 08:51:03 by DLPB »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #1684 on: 2015-06-27 09:55:41 »
Hi DLPB

colne_6

Together with their hideout, off course.”

Why you used "off" instead of "of"?

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1685 on: 2015-06-27 10:11:51 »
Can't wait for when the new verson gets released! Glad to see you implemented your centered description here as well. Are you going to use it in shops as well this time?
« Last Edit: 2015-06-27 12:28:27 by Caledor »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: 2015-06-27 12:03:02 »
1. Okay I understand. Again, thanks for taking the time to explain to us.
Well, I doubt that increasing the size of the letters would resolve the spacing issue. If you increase the size of a letter  you're also increasing the size of the spacing between that letter and another one, no ? I mean, I think the scale (size of letter / size of spacing) will be kept the same.

5. I've noticed all the alignments you speak about (except for the materia element obviously, not showing on the picture) and to my eye it is top notch. Maybe (and that's just a maybe) aligning the materia name Y with the second line in the materia list on the right would make the materia name look less sticked to the top of the box. The materia name would then be in front of the inbetween of the stars and AP, that wouldn't look bad either. The materia name would breathe more and space would seem used better.

I personally think it makes more sense to say what the materia does and other areas of the game are consistent with that, like the command menu.

Then yeah, if other areas do that, then consistency tells to do the same here. So okay, it tells what the materia does, but I still find it awkward to call "equip" what the materia does. My vocabulary isn't rich enough or colorful at all, but to me it's more like the materia Assigns xxx magic to the bearer, Grants the bearer with xxx magic, Lets him use/ cast xxx magic, Confers..., Provides... I can't think of anything else right now, but Equips just sounds wrong for an ability / a power given by an item.

A limitation with kernel size (I think the size is increased now) and also what the Japanese says.  It doesn't offer any additional info.  It just says "Equips Full Cure materia [possibly magic]".  Other materias have an explanation.  I could add an explanation but then I'm also changing the game and I don't like going too far, plus what explanation can you really give for "Full Cure"?  "Fully restores HP to one target"?  Materia help is largely redundant.

If that's what the Japanese says, then okay.
I would just plain scratch that entire box, but then I understand that it is a big liberty taken over the original game. But if it has to stay, let it say the same thing than what the original says, indeed.

"Equips Full Cure materia [possibly magic]"

mmm, possibly magic, you say..
Ok, so here's a summary of what I think.

If in Japanese it actually says "Equip(s) xxx materia", I would put "Equip xxx materia", because Equips would refer to the action you would take letting you equip ( the action to equip the materia (pressing the button) equips the materia ), or would refer to the materia letting you equip the materia(?), that sounds twisted and awkward.
If in Japanese it actually says "Equip(s) xxx magic" (which would appear to be more consistent with other areas in the menus, like what command a yellow materia "provides"), I would go for another formula as I said above.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1687 on: 2015-06-27 13:33:22 »
About kernel2.bin size limit, i know that aali's driver removes that and he posted this years ago. can't we apply a similar workaround for 2012/steam version too?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: 2015-06-27 23:39:30 »
Hi DLPB

colne_6

Together with their hideout, off course.”

Why you used "off" instead of "of"?

I didn't.  This forum (Covarr) changed it.  ;D

@Caledor.  The 2012 version IS Aali's driver.  So it should have the limit breaker.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-27 23:59:10 by DLPB »

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1689 on: 2015-06-28 00:18:44 »
I didn't.  This forum (Covarr) changed it.  ;D

@Caledor.  The 2012 version IS Aali's driver.  So it should have the limit breaker.
Well, i installed 2012 version and moved only kernel2.bin (edited with TS, fully working with 98 + driver) and it crashes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: 2015-06-28 00:21:46 »
You mean Steam?  The Enix version is different and has different exe addresses anyway.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1691 on: 2015-06-28 00:22:56 »
Nope, clean install with 2012 version and only moved kernel2.bin

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: 2015-06-28 00:29:57 »
Thats a problem.  But why hasn't the recent R03c crashed the game?  It uses a large kernel.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1693 on: 2015-06-28 00:35:11 »
Mine is 15.540 bytes. I'll try again with yours (have to install again to grab it) and tell you know if it works.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: 2015-06-28 17:30:20 »
Looks like I don't use a large kernel.  I deliberately cut down the text so that it wouldn't exceed the original size.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #1695 on: 2015-06-28 17:54:44 »
Hello.
First of all, thanks for this great pack, i use it mostly for models and menu.

I'm french and an amateur traduction as been released some time ago, so i want to play it.
I've succesfully used the english lgp files with the translation.

But i can't use the menu as it needs the ff7.exe patching to have the good font spacing in menu (ingame text are ok but menu have "compressed" words).
So is there any way i can hexedit my ff7.exe (1.02 french version) to have the good font spacing in menu (i only need that) ?

Thanks a lot

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: 2015-06-28 18:29:24 »
If you are using Aali's driver and need to use the same font in both menus, look at base.txt from the Reunion installer.  There is an entry for English exe that stops the font resizing in menu.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-28 18:36:17 by DLPB »

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #1697 on: 2015-06-28 19:29:15 »
I don't find the base.txt (i've checked all the ff7 subfolders)

here's some screens

The dialogs are ok to me (interline is bigger but that's not really anoying
french

english patched

The icons fonts and chars spacing in menu are messed up
french

english patched

The battle part is messed up
french

english patched

So is there any way i can patch or hexedit my french ff7.exe to get the same menu hoverhaul than the english version ?
Thanks

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: 2015-06-28 19:45:17 »
Did you use the Games Converter? It was actually not made as a downpatch but as an tool to enable english mods with other languages.

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #1699 on: 2015-06-28 19:57:07 »
Yes it's working with the game converter but i miss the whole menu re-translation (and some menu aren't translated at all like the buy/sell, and the LV instead of NV ...) as the game converter translate the english exe on the fly based on the original french exe's texts.
So it's useless to me ^^
Thanks anyway for answering