Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] FF7Music Installer (1.51.13)(Discontinued, use Anxious Heart)  (Read 345229 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF7Music Installer
« Reply #175 on: 2011-06-01 18:10:47 »
As for 904 Sephiroth Intro, I last played FF7 on my PSX maybe 5-6 years ago, so I can't really remember Sephiroth-related songs, but as I test them on Winamp, that 904 does seem to be different than Those Chosen by The Planet, in that it is very slightly faster
The song for the "cintro" slot should not be a faster version, but rather only the drum part from the song and nothing else. It's distinctly possible that this is why I said the song isn't included, because 904 is the wrong thing. When I can figure out why winamp isn't working, I'll test it myself (or maybe just find a save in that part of the game and use that to test it).

1. Does that mean I can use both PSF and mp3 files to work together? (I kinda assume this is yes, as it seems to be obvious, but just wanna make sure)
The profiles are more for song selection than anything else. The ones I set up don't have different filetypes in the same profile simply because I sorted by collection, but it can definitely be done.

2. How do I get to do this? The input plugin has only one box, and I can't figure out by myself how to get the in_mp3 plugin to work along with it. Do I just have to put in_mp3 in the same folder as in_psf?
Yes. As long as all the input plugins are in the same folder, it doesn't matter all that much which one is selected.

3. How do I configure the PSF and MP3 plugins then? I can configure the plugin for one in the input plugin box, but how about the other? Do I just choose them in the box and configure them separately like usual?
Choose the one you want to configure, and configure it. Simple as that. I should warn you, though, sometimes FF7Music doesn't like to save configurations afterwards.

Also, which one is better (be it better in sound quality, or more stable): in_ds or in_wav?
The sound quality should be just about exactly the same. out_ds uses DirectSound to output audio, and tends to be more stable, but with the disadvantage that it has a very slightly higher toll on the processor (not enough that you'll notice unless you're using a computer from 1996), and possibly takes a split second longer to load (not even 10ms though, it's pretty insignificant). out_wave sends the sound directly to the soundcard, which can be a little less stable, and may have trouble on some soundcards if another sound tries to play at the same time. Really, unless you have crashing issues with one of them, it probably won't make a noticeable difference which one you use.

Asvaldr

« Reply #176 on: 2011-06-02 07:08:35 »
Hey fellas new guy here. Let me start off by saying how great this whole project is and by giving thanks to all the people in the community who have worked their butts off making FFVII a better experience for the fans and newcomers alike. Now here's my issue. I installed this music mod onto FFVII and it seemed to be working fine until after the first mission with Avalance. At the point where "Barret's Theme" is supposed to play I would experience dead silence. The FF7Music.exe log seemed like it was looking for something like this: "06-Barret's Theme.mp3" but I didn't have that file. After a playing around with the program's options for a bit I discovered you could "open" files by right clicking the song name on the "Files" section of the FF7.exe's configuration. I located "1-06 - Barret's Theme (Loop).mp3" and opened the file. I tested it and it seems to work now. I should note that the "Paths" box on the "Files" section read like this:

C:\FFVIIMusic
C:\FF7\FF7_PSF

After I opened 1-06 - Barret's Theme (Loop).mp3 it appeared like this

C:\FFVIIMusic
C:\FF7\FF7_PSF
C:\FFVIIMusic\

Why did that folder appear? The real problem though is that sometimes the music won't play unless I access the in-game status screen and sometimes during an event (at the beginning of one mostly) the music will start to play then stop and won't come back on until later. Randomly at that. So far it happened right after(SPOILERS?) I came out of the sewers after the cross-dressing part(END SPOILERS). The music started then stopped. I accessed the menu and it came back on. I'd very much like to fix this before progressing any further in the game. Help would be most appreciated. I'm running the game on Windows XP Home Edition.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2011-06-02 16:49:16 »
The current version of the installer in this thread does not use or even include MP3s, except for the end credits. Older versions only had PSFs, until a looping OGG soundtrack was released. The latest version of this installer is on the first post of this thread, and should not have these problems.

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2011-06-03 03:20:32 »
The song for the "cintro" slot should not be a faster version, but rather only the drum part from the song and nothing else. It's distinctly possible that this is why I said the song isn't included, because 904 is the wrong thing. When I can figure out why winamp isn't working, I'll test it myself (or maybe just find a save in that part of the game and use that to test it).
Hmmm... is there any youtube video regarding the cintro part? Might be useful to check

Also, I want to ask about a minor inconvenience: in the opening - bombing mission, after we killed the Guardian Scorpion, the countdown starts and the "hurry" music plays (or whatever the music is, I kinda forgot), and it was supposed to stop once the crew got out of the reactor and Cloud helps Jessie for the second time (when the lightning starts to appear).

Now, the problem is the music keeps playing up until the FMV ends. Is this supposed to happen?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2011-06-03 05:00:54 »
I misspoke. It is in fact the drums and the bells. Literally just the intro to the song, on a loop. If you used my installer, one of the song files included is 05 - Those Chosen By The Planet - Intro.ogg in the OstRe folder; this is all the song should be. I got Winamp working (turns out a faulty plugin was breaking it) and listened to the 904 PSF, and it's just the opposite; it should sound like this.

As for Hurry! continuing to play, it could be either of two things:
1. If the music is supposed to simply stop, it's quite possible that "Ignore Stops" is ticked. Turning this off should fix the problem.
2. If the music is supposed to fade out, it won't. This is a bug in FF7Music. As I merely packaged it all up and didn't actually make it, I'm not really equipped to fix bugs in the software.

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2011-06-03 12:04:25 »
I misspoke. It is in fact the drums and the bells. Literally just the intro to the song, on a loop. If you used my installer, one of the song files included is 05 - Those Chosen By The Planet - Intro.ogg in the OstRe folder; this is all the song should be. I got Winamp working (turns out a faulty plugin was breaking it) and listened to the 904 PSF, and it's just the opposite; it should sound like this.
Unfortunately, I didn't use your collection (I do use your installer, but only for FF7Music.ini, I have a 70KB or so 1514u.exe installer), mine comes with PSF (the sans "FF7" one) and a whole bunch of MP3s (not OGG). Downloading the whole collection just for one stick would be cumbersome, but might try it nonetheless

As for Hurry! continuing to play, it could be either of two things:
1. If the music is supposed to simply stop, it's quite possible that "Ignore Stops" is ticked. Turning this off should fix the problem.
2. If the music is supposed to fade out, it won't. This is a bug in FF7Music. As I merely packaged it all up and didn't actually make it, I'm not really equipped to fix bugs in the software.
I ticked "Force all songs to play indefinitely" in in_psf, maybe that's what causing it? I already ticked "Obey Stops".

And I have one other curiosity:
The PSFs by themselves are not exactly good for looping, mainly because they have the intro part (which is usually omitted when looping), when a PSF loops in-game, does it simply loop from the very beginning or the FF7.exe controls how it loops?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2011-06-03 19:01:34 »
PSF is the music data straight from the game, and has the exact same looping point. in_psf.dll knows how to read this and will in fact loop properly.

Force all songs to play indefinitely wouldn't cause that problem. All it means is that the plugin won't stop them after a certain number of loops; the game is still free to stop them on its own. If a song continues when it shouldn't, it's probably because "Emulate Ramps" simply doesn't work properly (or at all, really).

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2011-06-03 19:15:17 »
PSF is the music data straight from the game, and has the exact same looping point. in_psf.dll knows how to read this and will in fact loop properly.

Force all songs to play indefinitely wouldn't cause that problem. All it means is that the plugin won't stop them after a certain number of loops; the game is still free to stop them on its own. If a song continues when it shouldn't, it's probably because "Emulate Ramps" simply doesn't work properly (or at all, really).
Hmmm... then maybe that part uses ramp instead of simply stopping the music. Thanks! Good to know about the looping point. I noticed the "Oppressed People" loops from the beginning, so I got curious, as usually the songs won't loop from the beginning, I thought there is something wrong.

I was thinking of using PSX emulator to play it because of that lol

Therberus

« Reply #183 on: 2011-06-05 15:07:31 »
Right I downloaded the files from mediafire, and tried to install them, but avast comes up with a virus message, and I can't get it to not flag it as a virus.

The installer finishes and I try to run the ff7music application but it freezes when I click on configure or run FF 7!

I tried to use another version of the ff7 music app (without an installer) but the music didn't always play, and it came up with a waveout output v2.0.2a error...

I've been pulling my hair out for the last three days trying to get this to work, so any advice on how to get the mod to install with avast?

Thanks

Therberus

Raestloz

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2011-06-05 15:09:51 »
Have you tried running it as Administrator?

And try to disable avast when installing, the thing likes to come up with false positive, much like AVG

The one provided here should work, as the FF7Music itself is about a few years old, only the configuration file and music content ever get updated

Therberus

« Reply #185 on: 2011-06-05 15:15:32 »
Just disabled avast to run the installer, no problems!

But I still have the problem with the actual application, it still doesn't open the configuration menu when I click on it, and it doesn't respond after either...

[EDIT]
I used the tutorial from www.finalfantasy7pc.com to install the mod without the installer first time round, but when it didn't work, and I got the waveout error messages, I tried to use the installer...
« Last Edit: 2011-06-05 15:20:14 by Therberus »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2011-06-05 18:46:26 »
I don't ordinarily provide support for any installation methods other than the installer in this thread and my own tutorial, but since it looks like he just stole my tutorial and made some minor changes I'll go ahead and help ya.

Do you have out_ds.dll? Some people have trouble with the out_wave.dll output plugin, and switching to out_ds.dll usually solved these crashing issues.

Asvaldr

« Reply #187 on: 2011-06-06 06:36:47 »
Any solution for music not playing when its supposed to? I'm at the Shinra parade part and during the part where Cloud enters the building the music wouldn't start. I restarted the game and then it played. What's the deal?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2011-06-06 17:42:07 »
Music that fades in and out simply does not work. The "emulate ramps" feature is supposed to control volume-changing music, but unfortunately ficedula never implemented it. As a result, entering an area where music fades in (such as the parade) will cause none to play because it starts at 0 volume but doesn't go up from there. The reason it works if you save and restart is because when you're already in the area, it's at full volume to begin with, so it doesn't need to fade. You may notice it doesn't fade out correctly when it's supposed to either.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this.

Asvaldr

« Reply #189 on: 2011-06-11 15:57:45 »
Oh well. At least I know this now. Thanks for your help.

Starboard

« Reply #190 on: 2011-06-23 17:44:24 »
I've got everything functioning properly but... I'm wondering whether or not the music is supposed to keep going when you "change screen" but remain in the same area. Like when you're going into a building, the soundtrack starts over from the beginning... then AGAIN when you go outside, even though it's the same song all along. Choosing the "resume" option produces an extremely noticeable pause in the track every time, and usually jumps back 1 second or so in the track, so that's equally annoying.

I don't really remember, but is it really supposed to be like this? Pretty sure the midi-tracks keep going without breaks. If not, what's wrong?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2011-06-23 19:41:19 »
As far as I know, this is a problem with FF7Music itself. I am not able to fix it.

lerenwe

« Reply #192 on: 2011-06-28 11:02:14 »
Hey guys,

First, just let me thank you for what you did, that's really an awesome thing we can play this epic game with remastered music instead of those horrible MIDIs.

I wanted to let you know that it seems that a lot of people are having the "No sound driver is available for use. in FILE C:\lib\src\sound\dx_snd.cpp LINE 68" while trying to launch the game on windows 7.
I searched the forums to see if there's a definitive solution, but didn't find anything.

This is quite strange because I successfully installed the games and all the mods on two PC equipped with Windows 7, and it worked perfectly fine. But after a few computer reboots, FF7Music began to give me this infamous error, and this is quite annoying since it seems you can only fix it with pure luck!

I tried to change the Output plugins configuration, using DS instead of WAVE, but... Nothing works.
I don't know if you can fix this in another release, but I thought it would be useful to point it out ;)

PS: Sorry if I made some mistakes, English isn't my mothertongue.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2011-06-28 17:11:52 »
I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause for this. I'm relatively sure it's with FF7Music itself, not the whole pack or configuration, in which case I can't really fix it.

Best advice I can give is to make sure your audio card drivers are up-to-date, and make sure you don't have any other software running that will use or take over the sound card. If you have any other sound devices available, such as a USB headset, you can try plugging that in, but I can't guarantee this'll work.

lerenwe

« Reply #194 on: 2011-06-28 18:05:23 »
Well, it seems that this error occurs more often when you try ton install or use softwares that can record your computer's sound output (Audacity, Fraps, ...). I'm not sure it is the main cause, but it seems so.

Also, I would like to recommend to everyone to actually NOT use a USB Headset, it tends to mess up with the audio outputs and make FF7Music even more confused. Sometimes the game launch, but you hear music on your jack plug output and the SFX on your headset.

So my advice would be: stick to the use of your jack plugs.

Well, anyway, guess I'm good for another FF7 complete reinstall on this laptop, ah well, the game's deserve it ^^
Thanks for your help, and good luck for your projects =)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2011-06-28 18:11:16 »
Also, I would like to recommend to everyone to actually NOT use a USB Headset, it tends to mess up with the audio outputs and make FF7Music even more confused. Sometimes the game launch, but you hear music on your jack plug output and the SFX on your headset.
FF7Music and FF7 both need configured to use the USB headset. It's a bit of extra effort, but it can be done without problems.

lerenwe

« Reply #196 on: 2011-06-28 18:13:17 »
Talked too fast then, sorry for that!

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2011-07-02 05:50:33 »
Hi Covarr

I have to try installing your mod but AntiVir tells me, that there is an Virus in 'launchff7.exe' (TR/Refoso.dgvi).
for what is this exe and can you make your mod whitout that?

Kompass63

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2011-07-02 12:18:33 »
False Positive

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2011-07-02 18:22:39 »
This exe is used to launch ff7 and ff7music at the same time, while working with kranmer's anycd, and theoretically working with steam as well (though no overlay). The way I packed it is identified by many less-good antivirus software as a trojan. When I get around to it, I will redo this with AutoIt to avoid this problem, but for now I can promise you it's not a virus. If AntiVir has a way of whitelisting this file, I'd advise looking into that.