Author Topic: [Solved]Field Upscale: cutting smoother layers; Is it possible?  (Read 12957 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
*update*
okay I figured it out and I am currently recutting all the layers in a much smoother fashion. It may sound tedious but it is worth it.

here is an example of the drastic difference between smooth and unsmooth layers
http://www.mediafire.com/?cwm5kmz08tcf5xx

I am going to be using a few pictures to help illustrate what I am trying to achieve here. I have already made some fairly decent progress after several experimental failures. Basically what I am trying to do is cut out the layers of my field upscale project much smoother than the originals. To help you understand what I mean take a look at these two images...

smoother

original

the reason why this is important is because when a model goes in front or behind a layer it will display the edge, and if that edge is "block"y then it is very unattractive, with smoothing it feels much more natural.

I am basically writing this thread to get both help and opinions on how I should do this ultimately. After a lot of testing, I came up with a very nice automated method for smoothing. I know I can smooth only the edges I need manually, but in an effort to save a ton of time and work I have tried to go automatic but this requires the entire layer to be smoothed. Fortunately I found a way to do this without making the layer too small or too big in comparison to the others. After working with different possibilities these three layers are what I came up with

Now I can assure you, even though you can't tell just by looking at them, all 3 of these layers are perfectly uniform to each other; that is ,when put together, they form the complete picture without any holes or overlaps. However when I actually implement them in game there is a different story to tell. This is where I am stuck. This is what is happening in game...

Important: This happens even if I leave the very bottom layer full, with no cuts (unlike the example above)

I have circled the problem areas. This is because the once 90 degree edges, as well as some other areas, are now smoothed and curved leaving a small area of open space which was once filled in that particular layer. Please keep in mind this open space is not there if you combine all 3 layers in Photoshop, only in game.

Now I think I know why this is happening, correct me if I am wrong but it seems in some way or another the game has predefined coordinates for where each layer should be. So for example if layer 3 is meant to be on top of all the other layers, then somewhere it is programed that layer 3 is on top and that it has exactly x height, x width, x dimensions. What I can surmise is that even if there is something there on the bottom layer to compensate for it, if a given area doesn't show up in the layer its defined to be in, it'll show up as blank in game, thus causing the small black areas. I know this probably isn't exactly right from a technical stand point but I hope I am at least on the right track.

It used to be a lot worse, for a while I had this weird huge line and if you walked in front of it, it would go on top of the character, so I have made a lot of progress but I seem to be stuck here. These little black areas are very tiny but very noticeable. I already have everything else figured out if I can just fix this somehow I can begin cutting smoother more attractive layers.

If there is no way to solve this then I will just have to work manually and it will take much longer, but I was wondering if it would be possible to modify Palmer or some other program, to set new coordinates and dimensions based on the layers being input and not from the original layers. Or if anyone knows other fixes that maybe I haven't thought of yet. I really need some help on this one guys. Thank you for your time!

« Last Edit: 2011-03-31 20:44:38 by yarLson »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Field Upscale: cutting smoother layers; Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-30 01:33:58 »
Protip: Make your 0000000 layer the full image. Then theoretically there should be no issue with misalignment. Just a FYI you cannot have any anti-aliasing on the edges. The driver will usually treat these as black pixels.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-30 01:50:44 »
well thanks for the tip but I already tried that and it turns up exactly the same. There are no alignment problems either. They all fit together perfectly, its just the black specs that is the problem

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-30 01:52:06 »
Are there semi transparent pixels? This will cause black spots.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-30 01:54:24 »
I didn't think so but I just double checked to make sure and they are definitely not semi transparent either. This really sucks. I fixed so many errors I was having with this only to be stuck at a few black specs  :o

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-30 01:56:50 »
The only other thing i can think of, which happened to me in perfect resize was it resized the images 1 pixel off of what they should have been. Might want to check that as well.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-30 02:03:48 »
looks like that might just be going on, any way to stop that from happening? I don't see how that would cause black areas where there really are none though, because the layers are cut using the original image so even if the image is off the layers are still exactly where they should be.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-30 02:16:27 »
I have no idea, if you wish to upload your files I can take a look at them when i get off work.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-03-30 02:34:59 »
thanks that'd be great. Here they are
http://www.mediafire.com/?s4ple0kg71dbacq

I have gotten these even closer. Far as I can tell there are only 4 very small black spots showing in game with these.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-03-30 04:01:09 »
Interesting. In photoshop the layers are aligned perfectly. In palmer they show the black spots. Not sure why yet though.

edit: Palmer does not like the rounded corners for some reason. Make them square and the black spots go away.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-30 04:03:50 by sl1982 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-03-30 04:04:03 »
yep that's exactly why I am confused. I have a theory posted above as to why this happens but I am not sure if its correct.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-03-30 04:08:01 »
Well either way the problem is fixed. If you just make those spots square (only those ones) you will fix the problem.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-03-30 04:11:32 »
yep I tried that with a content aware fill. Only problem is it can get tedious and annoying, specially with the backgrounds with a ton of layers, just wondering if I could find something a bit more automatic, but I guess I have no choice. It's worth it in the end.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-03-30 04:12:51 »
Well have you got everything else automated? And only these little touch ups are the main issue?

edit: this is getting tedious, if you have msn PM me your info
« Last Edit: 2011-03-30 04:17:25 by sl1982 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-03-30 04:17:18 »
Yep pretty much everything I need, I now have and action and a way to batch it, except this.  At least the good news is that, if a file has 64 layers for example, this would probably only be necessary on 4 or 5 of them and not the entire batch.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-03-30 14:15:53 »
Palmer can only populate tiles from the original image. If you put something outside the original 16x16 tiles (upscaled or not) it will simply be ignored. Don't expect this to be fixed anytime soon.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-03-30 19:23:05 »
well that's what I needed to know. Thank you. I've gotten it down to where I only have a few small black spots per image so I think I can manage it  :mrgreen:

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-03-30 19:25:25 »
yarLson, I have a proposal for you, will pm the details or see you on msn after work (about 8 hours)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-03-30 19:28:37 »
Well alright. I guess just let me know in whichever way is most convenient for you.