Author Topic: Trap - a mysterious field background  (Read 6136 times)

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
Trap - a mysterious field background
« on: 2010-04-19 09:56:02 »
For some weeks, I dig Final Fantasy VII jp in search of novelty. And I found the TRAP background. It is partially removed, but there is a file "TRAP.MIM"!

Unfortunately, TRAP.DAT is invalid, it is necessary to replace the tiles manually. I just started:

« Last Edit: 2010-04-19 10:10:03 by myst6re »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: Trap - a mysterious field background
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-19 10:00:14 »
wait, this is a "field background"? it doesn't look very...background-y. If anything it looks to me like a texture for an area on the world map...

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-19 10:07:53 »
This background looks like Yougan2.

I can assure you that this is a field background.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-19 10:09:33 »
Looks like one of those areas where you get a sequence just like that one where Sephiroth spiked Midgar Zolom in a tree.

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-19 13:47:15 »
It is the area where Yuffie takes your materia and you are attacked by 2 Shin-Ra guards I believe.  Well the second you posted ;)

The mysterious one was probably going to be a similar cut scene.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-19 14:20:58 »
I believe you, maybe I'm just not looking at it properly, but it looks to me like an aerial view of some cliffs, which throws me off.

"Trap"...I wonder what the creators had in mind...

Colonel Ramsay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-19 14:26:12 »
It could still refer to Yuffie, in that at that point you are kinda set up for a trap with Shin-Ra soldiers and your materia is stolen?

VanishedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-06 16:21:00 »
[Hopefully worthwhile enough to bump the thread...]
Is that a building on top of the TRAP.MIM hill? (It's too small for me to be sure...) Fort Condor, maybe...? There is an unused CONVIL_3 (8KB BSX in original FF7j but no functional DAT or, I think, MIM).

I believe you, maybe I'm just not looking at it properly, but it looks to me like an aerial view of some cliffs, which throws me off.

That reminds me of FALLP: it has a MIM in all (PSX) versions and a functional DAT in the original FF7j, but I don't think it's used anywhere, although it seems to be a still from the parachute FMV. Enter the room in FF7j-original and you get this:

(You can just make out Cloud next to the yellow thing, for scale.) Maybe Square was once toying with extra overhead and zoomed-out views for some reason.

For some weeks, I dig Final Fantasy VII jp in search of novelty.

It might be worth looking at XMVTES; it has a working DAT in the original FF7j only, but if you enter it as a room you get what looks like a scene (vaguely Jenova-Synthesis-location-esque) with a messed-up palette:

I can't remember whether anything was ever found in DUMMY, either. (It looks as though it should load in FF7j... assuming it has an ID.)